Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's the deal. My sis and I need to swap files with each other - basically she's burning DVDs of the rugby and cricket for me in London and sending them to me here in Boston, while I would like to send her daily videos (in .3gp, .avi or .mpg format) of our cat here in Boston. We want to use FTP to do this, but there's a small problem - neither of us know how FTP works, or how to start.

So my questions are:

1. how does FTP work

2. what do we need to install on our respective computers to facilitate FTP (I assume we need to both have clients and servers? Or is there an all-in-one client which can be both a server and client?) Can anyone recommend any good programs?

3. how safe is FTP

Any help would be appreciated!

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

1) FTP is File Transfer Protocol. It works by sending a file to a remote location (usually a web server). It can then be downloaded.

2) I'd forget about a dedicated FTP client for this idea. Simply download mIRC and get your sister to initiate a file transfer. This will use FTP and you'll get your file.

The other way of doing it is to actually use a FTP client, which is just overcomplicating things.

3) mIRC will open a port on your firewall and will act as a server/client. Security risks can be minimised by not accepting unexpected invites/disconnecting when file transfers finish/not clicking on random links etc.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Some of the files I'm transferring are about 4GB (eg an entire cricket match). Will mIRC be suitable for this? How long will that take?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Some of the files I'm transferring are about 4GB (eg an entire cricket match). Will mIRC be suitable for this? How long will that take?
4GB is a fair whack for a file, I'd seriously consider splitting the file using a file splitter into 512mb/1gb chunks.

mIRC would be suitable for it, its possible that the client would allow queuing. I'm pretty sure that the latest mIRC has a resume function.

The time it will take is going to be entirely dependent on your sisters upload connection speed (your download speed is very unlikely to be the limiting factor). Regardless, the file is still going to take a while to transfer.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

Awwww missing his cricket already [img]tongue.gif[/img] How are the withdrawal symptoms Memnoch? Aussies got revenge on Sri Lanka yesterday, Its good to see 3 competitive teams in the tri series for a change.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I transferred about 2 gigs of data through ICQ, and it only took about 30 minutes. It's kinda spammy though, I'd suggest maybe Yahoo messenger, or MSN, both of which have file transfer capabilities now.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:33 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If you can break it into smaller chunks, don't underestimate the power of a shared gmail account. Just create the email with the attachment and save it into your draft folder... then she opens it and downloads. She returns the favor.

Alternately, if you've got a web site somewhere that will let you store enough data, just put the file on your web site and give her the URL. She can download from there, and you can do the same thing.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

The maximum size of a gmail attachment is around 20 Mb.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:52 AM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... that would really suck for those 4GB files... just break 'em into 200 pieces, and away you go!

There used to be a service called freedrive. Something similar may still exist.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Chewbacca
Zartan

Maybe Grouper will work for you. It's a private P2P software that I have used in the past to exchange large files with family members.

http://grouper.com/