Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hiya, just thougth I would drop in and let you all know what's going on.

Hmmm...Christmas is the BIG EVENT time in my life it seems. 2002 I had my first date with my future wife on Christmas. 2003 I got engaged. 2004 I found out we were pregnant. And this year's big winner - I just got a new job at Huntington Bank as a Senior Processing Rep III (supervisor) in their mortgage dept.

Bad thing: I have to quit my job at the Title Company that I've been at for almost four years. I feel bad about this, because I've been through a lot with most of the people here and they have become family. Heck, I married one of them. But I feel like I'm going to let a lot of them down. I feel like I am walking away from something that I put 8500 hours into. Makes me sad. But, I'll be making slightly more $$ and there is a LOT more room to move up at the new job. And I won't be able to spend my 20 min commute every morning with my wife.

This being a grown up kinda stinks.

So...anyone have any good I QUIT stories?? Looking for inspiration on giving my two weeks notice.

Thanks!

BK
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
2004 I found out we were pregnant.
How is that even possible? I mean, wow, you must be a hermaprhodite or something.
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hey mate, long time no speak! Congratulations on all the changes in your life, you're one of the old timers here for sure. I'm currently in Boston doing an MBA (but I'm in Japan at this very moment visiting my GF).

I felt the same way when I gave my notice in at Unilever as I'd been there for five years, but it was something that I decided I wanted to do so it was easy in the end. You just need to depersonalise the decision because you're doing it as a career decision, to build a better future for yourself. If you look at it in that context it's easier to manage - you're not letting anyone down, particularly if you make the transition for your successor as easy as possible.

Good luck mate.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

I have come to the understanding that you are just a number in the work place. I say this because I have worked for large companies. Last company I quit. I was honest and upfront. I said I was moving for more money and a better quality of life. And there was no issues with the company. My bosses responded well and wished me the best.

So good luck BK.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:53 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Good luck on the new job, BK! I've moved on in the past, typically for more money or more opportunity. There is a feeling of loss for what you've spent the last part of your life on, but there's also an excitement for where you're going.

Just remember one thing... there are very, very few people in any company who are irreplacable. And many of those who think they can't be replaced... can. If there's *one* person that can't be replaced at a company, that's a lot. We're all valuable, and we add our own special part, but we're all replacable. So don't feel too bad about moving on to something newer and more exciting.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Good luck with the new job. I left a shop where I'd worn every hat in the place for 3 or 4 years. I told the guy that actually owned it that I'd found someone that was willing to pay me every week. He didn't want to see me go, but we still talk, and now that I've been ill, I still send business his way, even some of my own. It's never easy to say goodby, but when it's for professional advancement, it's always a good thing, and they will probably understand, especially if they can't offer you a similar wage/position.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Hey BK! You know, moving on may bring you all sorts of nostaligic feelings right now about the soon to be former job, but when you get right down to it, you're doing what's right for you and your family.

Besides, when you think about it, Henry, you didn't know many people well at the current job when you started. You may come to feel equally good about the people at your new place AND you have the mobility options you mentioned at the new place. Starting something new is a little stressful, to be sure, but all in all, I think you'll find it stimulating, challenging and rewarding...ultimately a good thing for your state of mind, bank account and family. Best of luck, dear friend!

Merry Christmas and Congrats on the job!

PS: My husband says pretty much the same thing about 'being grown up and responsible'.

[ 12-21-2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 12-21-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Knight:
2004 I found out we were pregnant.
How is that even possible? I mean, wow, you must be a hermaprhodite or something. [/QUOTE]I found out my wife was pregnant - silly degrader.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
The Black Storm Cloud of the Night - Consort to a Queen- Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way - Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons - Heart, Mind, and Soul- Newbie at Heart - ()xxxxxxxxxxxxx{}:::::::::::::::::::::>
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM   #9
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hey mate, long time no speak! Congratulations on all the changes in your life, you're one of the old timers here for sure. I'm currently in Boston doing an MBA (but I'm in Japan at this very moment visiting my GF).

I felt the same way when I gave my notice in at Unilever as I'd been there for five years, but it was something that I decided I wanted to do so it was easy in the end. You just need to depersonalise the decision because you're doing it as a career decision, to build a better future for yourself. If you look at it in that context it's easier to manage - you're not letting anyone down, particularly if you make the transition for your successor as easy as possible.

Good luck mate.
Currently in Boston, in Japan... got it.

I know, and I did a polite letter and let him read it yesterday. He wasn't happy but he said he could see it coming. Was wondering how long I was going to be there and was surprised I had stayed as long as I had. Didn't make it any easier. Thanks for the wishes, Memsy.

BK
Old 12-21-2005, 03:55 PM   #10
Black Knight

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
I have come to the understanding that you are just a number in the work place. I say this because I have worked for large companies. Last company I quit. I was honest and upfront. I said I was moving for more money and a better quality of life. And there was no issues with the company. My bosses responded well and wished me the best.

So good luck BK.
Thanks, Mack. And you are right, with some large companies, you can be just a number. My favorite instance of this is one of my friends quit and his boss got fired 2 weeks later. 6 months after that, we stopped getting our checks mailed to us and they would come to work and pass them out. The first time (6 months after my buddy quit, mind you) they did this, his check showed up. They never fired him. He got paid for six months after he stopped working there. I called him and he laughted. Said he was putting them all in a savings account and just waiting on the phone call asking for it back. That was 3 years ago. They still haven't asked. They did stop sending him the checks when they found out. The account is up to 22K.

nice, eh?

BK