Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

Just finished the Death's Gate Cycle. Went through the last book in about 3 hours. [img]smile.gif[/img] I was wondering, does Fizban (aka Paladine) in Dragonlance have any connection to Zifnab in Death's Gate? Both are crazy old wizards who like Fireball, and their names are related. Zifnab claims to be a God, and Fizban was a god... I was thinking maybe Margaret was trying to get the point across that Zinfab was Fizban, but he had gone mad... I can tell that Death's Gate is set in the future, that much is obvious. Perhaps Dragonlance was set in the past, and Zifnad is an insane Paladine? Very confusing...
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Hmm I remember hearing about this, I cant remember what they said was the connection though, check Hickmans website.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Old 11-20-2002, 06:49 AM   #3
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

I am stating the obvious here but F-I-Z-B-A-N and Z-I-F-N-A-B are anagrams. Each syllable is just reversed. So they are either related (or even are the same character) or someone really lacks imagination when it comes to creating names.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:17 AM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

They are oh so clearly related in some way. Probably not from one series to the other, but more likely just because Fizban ruled so almightily that the authors knew he'd be popular in the Death Gate series.

I doubt that they're actually the same person because......

ULTRA SPOILER FOR DRAGONLANCE READERS!

-

-

-

-

-
-

-

-

-

-

At the end of the "Dragons of Summer Flame" book all of the Gods leave Krynn for another world. So Fizban/Paladine would have left, too, and so the world mentioned in the Death Gate Cycle couldn't be a future Krynn.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

well, as I understand it, the world of the Deathgate Cycle in not owned by WotC, but is the domain of the authors, so it couldn't be Krynn anyway. But they could be playing with the notion that it's Fizban, but without using the actual name (which they wouldn't have rights to).
I never did read this series, though. Might have to give it a go.