Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-16-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Okay you guys... I have written a "short story" which is only chapter one of a book I am to write. I need to submit my first chapter thing into a magazine of some sort so that after a publishing co. sees it they might act to it... or not...

But anyways I need a good magazine that would apreciate a submition of a fantasy-based short story that is really a first chapter. Do any of you know of a good fantasy magazine that would ACCEPT AND PUT THE STORY INTO their magazine.

The capitals prove a point as I am not going to submit something if they are going to ignore me.

Thanx yall!
Old 04-16-2002, 07:37 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Ithink the only way you can get it to work 100% of the time is by making YOUR OWN magazine ... perhaps you should find a magazine that has the same theme in relation to it as what you hope to publish. Another good idea is to get a reference from someone who is either your agent or claims to be your agent. Heck, if you can manage, find someone famouse and have them back you up for the magazine and then maybe you'll have an interview. It is a long difficult process but it pays off in the end. If your work attracts enough readers they might hire you for a weekly/monthly/yearly job until your series has ended OR they might enslave you, forcing you to become a writer for them. At first you might have to pay THEM for it but if they like you they may turn the tables and become your bosses [img]smile.gif[/img] if that's what you want then HEAD ON IN if you just want to write stories and have them published then I recomend you take extreme caution because magazine publishing is like stepping on thin ice... I only got one thing published, EVER, and they didn't listen to me most of the time because i was only like 14 at the time when I first started getting my work put on paper. Halcyon Dreams 1.1 was a little bit of a hit, but I doubt that anyone even payed attention to it, they probably looked at the pictures and called it a day :/

NOW PUBLISHING YOUR OWN BOOK! well that's easy! and if you get your name in a magazine first WELL THEN you're on the right track!
Old 04-16-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Now (between u and me and anyone who reads this thread) i AM 14!!!!! My teacher LOVED the story and I wrote it so it WOULD end as a short story BUT made it only chap. one as it still continues.

She said submit it to a publishing company so they may like it and allow me to contimue, but I know that they would put me off forever and I am NOT telling anyone my age as they would try to explot me. I cannot afford an agent or a famous person either.

I need to send it to a magazine that is fantasy-based because that is how my story is set up. The magazine is only a first step so that people MAY like it and it will draw enough attention for me to get SOME support.

But my quesiton is... I NEED TO GET THE NAME OF A MAGAZINE AS I DON'T KNOW ANY!!!
Old 04-16-2002, 09:03 PM   #4
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

I am sometimes impatiant when it comes to something important. so i am bumping this to the top to get someone to answer. (thanx to D.K. though) I know that alot of you have written as I have seen a bunch of threads mentoning it. And I also know that you don't even care about some kid out there writting stuff that most likely will never be read but let me tell you something... I DO!!!!!!!

somebody please ansewer as even though I know nothing will proboly come out of it. I want to at least get into a magazine and I need some help from ANYONE who has done this before.... please!! I know that you are out there.

[ 04-16-2002, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Black_Knight ]
Old 04-16-2002, 09:20 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh dear.. I thought you were someone else! We have a long time member whose nick is THE BLACK KNIGHT!

I was wondering what he was posting about publishing for! LOL

Wish I could help but I've never submitted any written work for publication. Good luck
Old 04-16-2002, 09:25 PM   #6
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

yes i know about Black Knight as I have already run into him! Hee hee! He said he didn't remeber posting the post i posted. (confusing anit it?)

(just remember I always use u_n_d_e_r_s_c_o_r_e_s in almost every name i h_a_v_e.)

and I use this alot: [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2002, 09:28 PM   #7
Sir Mandorallen
Baaz Draconian

Oh and thanx for the luck, as I will need it trying to publish ANYTHING in this country. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]

(maybe some mage will be kind enough to cast a luck spell too... hmmm...)
Old 04-16-2002, 09:39 PM   #8
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

Just some tips that, i hope, could help (never published anything myself):

-if you want to submit a novel to a "major" magazine:
  • Inlcude at least 50% of the work. They will not hire you just by the first chapter, however good it is.
  • Be sure the format of each chapter fits with the format the magazine's editor wants. That's very important! For that, analyze the work of the other contributors for the magazine. Even better, ask one of the contributors: find its email, or ask the magazine to get in touch with one of them you like.
-Sometime, it's needed to have a heavy-weight Curriculum Vitae to get a chance. Editors don't recognize talent, they recognize success. So you might want to find a local fan-zine, with lower reach but more openness. There are a lot of litteracy circles around editing their own short-stories. Try to find them. Or even, start your own zine with ppl you know. You might even get funds from your school if you do it.
-Keep on! If it fails the first time, don't despair. Try other magazines, try them all. And most of all, continue writing!
Perseverance is the most rewarding virtue.

Good luck!