Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-07-2001, 10:50 PM   #1
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I just got into the whole SCA thing recently, but my hubby is a Knight of the Realm. He used to joust in full armor and on horseback (just like they did way back when!). If you are in it, give a shout! (Preferably a good Medieval barbarian YAWP). What do you do in the SCA, your SCA name, etc.?

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-08-2001, 04:51 AM   #2
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
I just got into the whole SCA thing recently, but my hubby is a Knight of the Realm. He used to joust in full armor and on horseback (just like they did way back when!). If you are in it, give a shout! (Preferably a good Medieval barbarian YAWP). What do you do in the SCA, your SCA name, etc.?

Yes, I have taught at the SCA - School of Creative Arts... oh hang on. This doesn't sound like it...

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-08-2001, 05:43 AM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

noooooooooooo...The Society for Creative Anachronisms.

That's a place where crazies like me and my husband can go and dress up in Medieval fashion and do combat, chat dark ages style, eat feasts, drink mead and just generally be someone else for a change.

Some people pretend better than others and some people have even created complete personalities with bios and everything! It's great!

------------------

Old 09-08-2001, 05:45 AM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

Never heard of it, but is sounds cool though...

------------------
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
-General George Patton (1885-1945)

Member of CLAN HADB
Old 09-08-2001, 05:51 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

We call them re-enactment societies. I have a friend who does English Civil War - he's a Roundhead (parliamentarian) of course.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-08-2001, 06:17 AM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, now, the SCA is a very LARGE re-enactment society. I have a cousin in New York who is into the Civil War re-enactment thing and his society ALMOST comes close to being as big as the SCA (in the US). The SCA, however, is worldwide! It's so amazing! They have maps that divide the whole world into (I think) 13 Kingdoms, then you have shires and such subdivided for ease of get-togethers. They are based out of California and I hope to go to their biggest gather, The Pennsic Wars, next summer. It's in Pennsylvania and I've never been there (heck, I haven't been much of anywhere - but, anyway). It's most awesome. And there are chapters near anyone! All you have to do is type in sca.org and it'll guide you to the closest place to you. Then you show up for a meeting and take it from there. It's really nice to completely get away from it all once in a while and, if you like Medieval, this is the place for you!

------------------

Old 09-08-2001, 06:44 AM   #7
Epona
Zartan

Mmmm. Worldwide you say.
I just looked up on the website (thanks for the tip) and found that of the 13 Kingdoms 11 are in North America. 1 includes Northern California and Nevada, Alaska, Australia, Japan, Korea and Pacific Rim. The 13th covers Europe, Africa and the Middle East!!!!
Which seems to me as if it's a North American society with 'the rest of the world' tacked on as an afterthought.
I wouldn't necessarily expect many people outside of your continent to have heard of it!
No offense meant, it looks fun - but a bit US centred?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-08-2001, 08:33 PM   #8
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

No offense at all - I hadn't really looked very closely to the distribution of the kingdoms. And that may be due to lack of interest in other countries. We gladly welcome anyone anywhere into the Society, but, maybe people living in areas where some of this actually happened aren't as fascinated with it as we are. I, for one, grew up wishing in some respects that I'd actually been born back then.

It may be similar to the way most Americans don't think often of the 1950's anymore, but I've been told by many that the Japanese LOVE that era of our country and have bought or reproduced many of the cars from that time, listen to the music of that generation and even have dance clubs where they dress "50's" and dance. (But I don't know if that fad has died out there yet or not.)

Hopefully, more will express interest in other countries over the next few years and we can have Internet Jousts! etc.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:51 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:

Well I have never heard of the SCA before, but it sounds wicked! Would love to be able to actually joust on horseback (I DO know how to ride LOL), wearing armor (although I may find out just how heavy and encumbering that might be at 90 lbs!) Doh! Still, maybe studded leather armor might not be too bad, and I being so small would have a high dexterity, maybe I could be wiley and not get hit LOL! (yeah right, Ladyzekke, you'd fall like a sack of coal and shatter into a million pieces when you hit the ground) DOH!

You should post some pics of your jousting if you have any DragonMage, I'd love to see this!

------------------
Old 09-10-2001, 09:16 AM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Well I have never heard of the SCA before, but it sounds wicked! Would love to be able to actually joust on horseback (I DO know how to ride LOL), wearing armor (although I may find out just how heavy and encumbering that might be at 90 lbs!) Doh! Still, maybe studded leather armor might not be too bad, and I being so small would have a high dexterity, maybe I could be wiley and not get hit LOL! (yeah right, Ladyzekke, you'd fall like a sack of coal and shatter into a million pieces when you hit the ground) DOH!

You should post some pics of your jousting if you have any DragonMage, I'd love to see this!

Unfortunately - no pics yet. We're working on that one.

As far as your ability to fight - leather armor is prevalent with most of the fighters. And there are women who fight (I'm one of them). The first event we went to had no jousting, but there was a girl there doing heavy combat. She did ok, and then, when we were all at the feast - she showed up in a gorgeous period dress! Several of us commented to her about being able to take on the men in combat and still look every bit a woman when it was over!

Seek out a local group and give it a try!

------------------