Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I decided to restart my BG single player game. I made a CG Elf Ranger (I know, the game manual says only humans & half elves can be rangers, but the game let me proceed with this) and managed to roll stats totalling 95 points!

I selected spiders as my character's racial enemy. Any comments on this choice??
Old 03-24-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

I usually take gnoll as a racial enemy as this gives me a hand at the beggining of the game but spider would be one of my second choices, great help for cloakwood!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #3
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I practically always chose Ogres, but more because of roleplaying reasons than any other. Spiders is a good choice, because IIRC they're among the toughest monsters you can choose as a racial enemy. Can't remember the list off the top of my head, but I believe that Spiders and Ogres are the best choices if you really want to get something out of it. Gnolls aren't that strong, same for Skeletons and Kobolds. Ghasts would be a nice choice too, but I'm not entirely sure if they are on the list.

Oh, and BTW, Elven Rangers are completely legit. And that's not the only thing where the manual is lacking either.

[ 03-25-2002, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: J'aran ]
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

I usually go with Ogres, but I think Spiders would be more useful!

Especially in cloakwood!
Old 03-26-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

The thing with choosing racial enemies in BG games (or IWD) is that your best choices are critters that are though and plenty. Spiders is among the best choices because there are plenty of them around. Ogres are good too (again plenty around).
Old 03-28-2002, 01:59 AM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

I'd make elves your racial enemy. That way, every time you pass a refelctive surface, you can freak out and beat yourself senseless. Yes, that's exactly what I'd do if I were you.

My second choice would be spiders because they are creepy. A good friend of mine used to walk around with a tarantula on her shaved head all the time. I avoided her that whole year until it was run over by a car (she dropped it in an intersection). If I could have made that car come a year sooner by choosing spiders as a racial enemy, I'd have done it.

Maybe, though, if your person is going to have a racial enemy, you should think of why? Make her have some awful childhood memory of a dog stealing her favorite sister. That would be really ruff, wouldn't it?

And, not that this makes any rational sense, but I think it might be a good idea to make Leprechauns your personal racial enemy. I know I have and it has helped me oh-so-much. You never know when one of those little bastards will come out from under a leaf and jump up and bite your ankles!

[ 03-28-2002, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Katherine ]
Old 03-28-2002, 02:52 AM   #7
Downunda
Set - Egyptian God of Chaos

LOL Katherine,
Old 03-28-2002, 04:58 AM   #8
ShadowedSoul
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well, you know what my first choice for racial enemy would be? CHEESE!!! i mean, it's so sweet and innocent, it just stands there, all calm, never doing anything, but it's all a cover up, a cover up i say!!

oh yeah, then there's spiders too, they're just plain icky!
Old 03-28-2002, 09:25 PM   #9
Vohl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I try to stick to a roleplay element when choosing a racial enemy. For the most part, I see a ranger as a warrior and protector of the lands and its natural surrounding. To me, the most unnatural being, and most offensive to the natural order of things, is the undead. In BG, I picked the ghoul.
My two copper pieces.
Vohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2002, 02:42 AM   #10
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowedSoul:
well, you know what my first choice for racial enemy would be? CHEESE!!! i mean, it's so sweet and innocent, it just stands there, all calm, never doing anything, but it's all a cover up, a cover up i say!!
Holy crap, you're right! I'm afraid to go to bed now! Daddy, the cheese is going to get me!