Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

Upset [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airport

Woman arrested at airport, accidentally strangles self on handcuffs

NEW YORK - A traveler who may have accidentally choked herself to death while handcuffed in an airport holding cell was a "wonderful" woman and mother, according to New York City's public advocate, who is her relative. ADVERTISEMENT

Carol Anne Gotbaum, 45, was arrested Friday at Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix after she became irate when gate crews refused to let her board a flight for which she was late, officials said.

"She was a wonderful mother; she was sweet and kind and loving," said public advocate Betsy Gotbaum, the woman's stepmother-in-law. "It's obviously very, very difficult for us; we are dealing with it as best we can. My No. 1 focus is those children and my stepson."

She also pleaded with the press for privacy.

The events that led to Gotbaum's death began when she became irate over not being allowed on a US Airways flight, though she was rebooked on a later flight, officials said.

Officers handcuffed her and took her to the holding room, where she kept screaming, authorities said. They checked on her when she became quiet and found her unresponsive, said Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill.

It appears Gotbaum may have tried to get out of her handcuffs, which ended up around her neck, Hill said. A medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

Neither a stun gun nor pepper spray was used on the woman, authorities said.

The New York City public advocate helps solve residents' problems with government and acts as a watchdog over city agencies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/...r6Y1VNhkwXIr0F

I know, being respectful to the dead and all that, but accidently choking yourself on handcuffs? That's quite a feat...
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Winter Wolf
Manshoon

Default Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

She must have been extremely flexible to get her arms up around her head from behind her back, since that's the ONLY conceivable way I can think of that she'd even get her handcuffs anywhere near her neck.

Talk about doing things the hard way.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

Default Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

I suspect foul play, I was always under the impression it is impossible to strangle your self.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Its impossible because you will relax when you lose consciousness, so you cant deny yourself air for long enough to die - also, most people don't have the willpower to go even that far. On the other hand, its very possible to strangle yourself by wrapping something around your neck. I don't see quite how you accomplish it with a pair of handcuffs, but people are inventive.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

I can't imagine how someone can strangle him/herself with a handcuff.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Arvon
Unicorn

Snopes where are you when we need you?

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: [Darwin's Last Laugh] Woman actually strangles herself on handcuffs at the airpor

Well the only way it could even be possible is if it's the kind of handcuff with a long chain you see in prisons. There's no way at all it could happen with short police handcuff. I guess she would have to somehow have it get tangled around her neck and then she'd pull to try and get free but it would tighten it.

I don't think someone strangling her is any more likely. Who would strangle someone in a security room? The list of persons that could have access to it at that time is probably not very long.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Strangling yourself with handcuffs? The best Darwin deaths are those you never, in 1000 years, saw coming...
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #9
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion

Am I the only one who is for some reason disturbed by this?

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar View Post
Am I the only one who is for some reason disturbed by this?
I am disturbed by it because there is no real mention of foul play. I remember years ago a young black boy strangling himself to death in the back of a police van with police officers present but not noticing.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote