Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Azeral:
What about the BigWater kit? it has some pretty cool things you can add into the line (thermometors, flow meters, VGA cooling, stuff like that).
It also has a giant ass fan on the back
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Azeral
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
quote:
Originally posted by Azeral:
What about the BigWater kit? it has some pretty cool things you can add into the line (thermometors, flow meters, VGA cooling, stuff like that).
It also has a giant ass fan on the back [/QUOTE]Yeah It will bolt straight into the hole at the back of your case plus you also get another 120 mm fan to add to your collection.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:59 AM   #13
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

From someone that uses nothing but Thermaltake, you know which one I'd pick out. I haven't actually used the rocket but I have used the resarator and to be honest I didn't like it one bit. Firstly the water block is heavy. Damn heavy!!! Heavy enough to cause damage if you put your PC down in too much of a hurry. Mine weigh about 35kg so you can imagine how this can be bad.
Anyway, actually mounting the waterblock was a pain in the butt also! It's not too bad for the P4 line but if you're using a non 64bit AMD CPU avoid it like the plauge! Firstly your motherboard needs to have two little holes next to the CPU socket to accomodate the screws for the clip. If you don't have that, you will need another waterblock or will have to make your own clip. I used a modified clip from a different water cooler I had lying around and it worked, but the waterblock being so heavy, is very easy to move to the left and right a few milimetres no matter how tight it is.
As for the tank. It looks great and is dead quiet. Heck you have to check the flow meter at first because you'd keep getting paranoid thinking the pump has died on you. Not to worry though. After a couple of days (that's how long it took before I scrapped it) you kinda stop looking at it. Not to mention that although the heatsinks cool the water, it doesn't help on a 35-40c day when the temperature inside is cooking the fins and they in turn are keeping the water warm. In times like these, you either add a radiator to it or pull out the ice cubes and start filling the tank. (Do not do this with the comp running and wait at least half an hour with it switche off so as to let the CPU cool down enough.)

If you really want my expert opinion, go for the Thermaltake Big Water. I'm currently using it now and it's the best I've ever had from a boxed non custom unit. It will fit on just about ANY system you have and comes with all the clips. Basically if you've never instaled a water cooler before and can't have this up and running within about 30 minutes there's something wrong. It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish and believe me that is no easy job if you take a look inside my case.

It's up to you which you will go for but believe me, stay away from anything that doesn't have a radiator. I've been down that road and although I don't mind as it's a new experience, if you're hesitant to part with the cash, don't go for anything that doesn't have a radiator or you will be let down. Heck, go for the Thermaltake Aquarius II even. It has it's fair share of bad reviews online but both units I've had in the past performed extremely well and I would still put that ahead of the reserator!

Hope this has helped at all!

(You'd think cosidering I never post here that I'm trying to make up for it all with one post *L*)

Okay just some more to add. If you're going to buy anything from PC Casegear make sure they have it in stock. Don't get me wrong, I have an account with them and they are great to deal with. Just make sure they have the stock so you don't need to wait a week or two when you can order it from somewhere else
Also, the fans on both the Aquarius II, Aquarius III (Aquarius II in external casing really) and Big water make very little noise. Nothing really worth even mentioning. The Big Water however has a much bigger radiator, water flow rate and bigger fan which does make it the winner. As for the accessories you can get for the big water, don't let them make the decision for you because you can use most of them on any water cooler.

Another thing with the Big Water, you have an adjustable fan knob which can be mounted on the back of the PC. If you're like me and the back of your PC is out of reach and too damn heavy to move everytime you want to adjust the speed here's what you do.

I first removed the knob (Takes quite a bit of pull to get off or a flat screwdriver) and then carefully removed the thin sheet of metalised sticker with the thermatake logo. All that was left was the bit the knob slides into with the bracket it's on. If you cut the bracket down a bit, you can mount it on a 1.44" Floppy bay after drilling a small hole for the knob to fit through. If you don't use a floppy drive or have two compartments, this will be much better. To stick the bracket on the inside of the floppy drive cover, just use the double sided tape that comes with your cooler. Also, if you have a thermaltake VM1000 case, you can still close the door without it hitting the knob. Even though I never lower my Radiator fan, it's still an option.
And if you don't know what the hell I'm talking about above, let me know and I'll post puctures of the knob and even the complete system if you wish to get a look prior to making your decision!

[ 05-20-2005, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: Bokken ]
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:12 AM   #14
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

lol, you picked perfect time to post Bokken, I just paid for the Thermaltake rocket
But it was a hard choice, from the beginning I wanted the big water, but after paying for one on ebay and ever recieving it, it kinds turned me off
Old 05-20-2005, 09:51 AM   #15
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

hehe...not a problem mate! If you don't mind, when you've got it all set up, let us know what rig you're running and what temps you're getting!
You still running the GA-7N400-Pro2 or have you upgraded since then?
Bokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #16
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Ahwell, too late. But if I was you I would have gone for the Zalman Reserator. It gets great reviews, and I know about 5 people who have one, and all love it. I myself am considering the investment. I can't make a very unbiased comment however, as I have no experience with the Thermaltake model - only I'm not their biggest fan, as I think their gear just looks a bit 'plasticy' and annoying. Well, there's your different opinion for you.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:19 AM   #17
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
hehe...not a problem mate! If you don't mind, when you've got it all set up, let us know what rig you're running and what temps you're getting!
You still running the GA-7N400-Pro2 or have you upgraded since then?
Nope i'm now running a A7N8X-e Deluxe (Asus) and I'm still running the AMD 3000+ but I now have 1 Gig of RAM (had 1.5 but one stick died ) But i also have an X800 Pro now [img]graemlins/1drool.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #18
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Wahey!!! It finally came (go to second page)