Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2003, 06:08 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

This is good news!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

We have a widescreen HD, but there is nothing to watch in HD but HBO and Showtime, which we don't subscribe too.. I think CBS also does, but we watch DVD's on it, and it looks good.

It's about time they get the technology moving. Prices for the smaller projection TV's like ours are REAL cheap now! Remember to go for widescreen (16:9).

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been waiting a long time for this, as I have only a 13" TV. I need a bigger one, but could not afford one. Hopefully with the Prices dropping for the older Analogs, I can get a huge one! I had heard that all broadcast stations were going digital by 2007, and that Analog TVs would not be able to pick up the signals without a converter box. I do not prescribe to any cable stations at all, so a fat huge monster of an Analog TV suits me fine!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 PM   #3
Nerull
Lord Ao

I have digital cable, so not a huge deal on my front (except for the TV card in my computer; I'm not sure it will pick up the digital signal without the box or not). However, I think it is garbage that they are requiring everyone to convert over if they want to get signals. You are essentially forcing everyone to spend money upgrading their TVs just so they can watch standard free stations. In addition, digital cable boxes are more expensive than regular boxes, so you are forcing those who do not buy the TVs to get cable or satellite. It just seems rather ridiculous to me (unnecessary, really).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 09-14-2003, 02:20 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

It's here in OZ as well, and it's free. If you don't have an integrated digital TV you can buy a digiTV setup box to convert the signal.

Unfortunately I'm waiting for my unit to upgrade our master antenna... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2003, 03:52 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
It's here in OZ as well, and it's free. If you don't have an integrated digital TV you can buy a digiTV setup box to convert the signal.

Unfortunately I'm waiting for my unit to upgrade our master antenna... [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]
Yeah, we have Dishnetwork locals and basic(no prem's) and to get a HD signal, we would have to buy a HD converter box, and those are something crazy like $699.00 + a local's UID slot for another $149.00. But they will come down soon.. But with DVD's in progressive scan at 540p, it's crisp... Our local cable company DOES offer a HD converter that you get when you get cable--for a larger cost I'm sure, but HD Discovery channel in 1024i is JAW dropping. It's like looking through a clean window to another place... (a friend has it).

I'll just wait. I can't afford crap right now anyway [img]smile.gif[/img] . I got that HD tv when I got my MicroSoft Money a while back. Nothing like playing Playstation2 on a 51 inch widescreen! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-14-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hmm, perhaps it is time to buy a new tv....mine is 25 years old
I also have digital Cable, so not much there for me either