Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

Man Buys Groceries With Fake $200 Bill
Bill Bears President Bush's Image On Front

ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. -- Police are searching for a man who paid for $150 in groceries at a Food Lion grocery store with a $200 bill.

The man walked out of the store with his groceries and $50 in change before the fake bill was discovered Sept. 6.

The bogus bill -- the U.S. Mint does not print a $200 bill -- bore the image of President George W. Bush on the front and had the White House on the back. It also included signs on the front lawn of the front lawn of the White House with slogans such as "We like broccoli" and "USA deserves a tax cut," Roanoke Rapids police said.

Instead of being labeled a Federal Reserve note, the fake bill was marked as a "Moral Reserve Note." The bill bore the signatures of Ronald Reagan, political mentor, and George H.W. Bush, campaign adviser and mentor.

Officials at the local Food Lion had no comment. Food Lion officials at the company headquarters in Salisbury could only say their normal policy is not to accept bills over $100.

Meanwhile, police in Roanoke Rapids arrested a man Tuesday who attempted to spend a $200 bill at a convenience store in August. Authorities say Michael Harris was jailed Tuesday night under $2,500 bond.

Investigators say Harris is not the same person who passed a similar fake bill at the Food Lion grocery store, but police believe the two cases are connected.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:46 PM   #2
Elramir
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Such a case we had in Germany as well!

At that time we still had the DM ("Deutsche Mark") and a guy paid in a shop with a 30 DM Bill. But only 5, 10, 20, 50, 100,... Bills were printed but no 30 DM Bill. But the salesman didn't realise that and took the money.

Sometimes I ask myself how stupid some people are...
[img]\"http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~paulmay/misc/dtrotate.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><b>Don\'t expect your own Messiah<br />This neverworld which you desire<br />Is only in your mind<br /><br />(Dream Theater - Voices)</b>
Old 09-11-2003, 01:04 PM   #3
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

lol! why do poeple take money that they sould know is fake? do you know how hard it is to get poeple to take a 2 dollar bill? and they are real! so how could they mistake a $200 bill????????
Old 09-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I've got a real three-dollar bill, if anyone ever wants to see it. Legitimate US currency, too. Nothing illegal or counterfeit.

But I would say that the store is in need of some common sense training, or some better guidelines. You can't dictate common sense, but you can put in checks to try to help it happen.

Me, I see a new rule: Any purchase with anything larger than a $20 has to be approved by a manager
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
Faceman
Hathor

I remember a case where a wiseguy tried to cash money for a sheet of five-hundred 5 Schilling stamps (pre-Euro currency, 14ATS=1EURO) but got caught.
Why? Because the postal clerk noticed that (while 5ATS was a common stamp) there were not 500-sheets. They only came in 400 and 800. Quite a nitpick.
So - cashing a 200$, a 30DM ???

Sidenote: In the early EURO days there was a small number of genuine bills which were only printed on one side (other was blank). This was due to a faulty production and while most were discovered it was still funny because people were kinda puzzled when they only got "half a bill" from an ATM.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Chewbacca
Zartan

LOL!!! Thanks!!! Although my sore throat makes it hurt to laugh right now, this was well worth the pain!

Moral reserve note- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 09-11-2003, 10:48 PM   #7
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Well, the cashiers at that store aren't the sharpest tools in the shed are they?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:03 PM   #8
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Lord Lothar, tell me about it, the Publix, Albertson's and Winn Dixies (major supermarket chains in the area) here where I live all saw fit to put up signs denoting the appearance of all legal tender up to $100 bills with a fairly strict policy on not accept anything larger than $100, the $100 to be checked with various Federal mint security measures prior to acceptance. No I'm not a cashiere at any of the afore mentioned stores, nor at any others for that matter. I just happen to learn more of the useless info.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-12-2003, 04:15 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

LOL! The Onion couldn't have done better.. I was thinking this was BS, but hey, it takes all kinds eh? Maybe someone will make a 3 dollar bill!! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 09-14-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Here is the Bill in question:

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album