Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-09-2002, 06:31 AM   #1
Drail
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Could someone explain the leveling/multiplier system to me in detail? (I'm an idiot)
I'm going up from level 1 to 2 and I'm getting multipliers of 5x for strength, 3x for intelligence and 2x for speed. I want to max all of these to 5x but I don't know how (and I'm pretty sure it can be done).
I've tried reloading and getting trained in non major/minor skills in the intelligence and speed class (like security and unarmored) but it keeps giving me the same multipliers.

Do you have to learn naturally rather than being trained by NPCs?

Also can you affect multipiers by upping skills after it tells you to rest to go up a level?
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 10:15 AM   #2
Himura
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It's simple.

You go up in level when your major/minior skill goes up 10 times.

The more percentage a certain skills used for that leveling, the more mulitplier it gets.

Say if I went up a level, and its based on:

longsword skill 3 times
Athletic 2 times
Destruction 2 times
Midium Armor 3 times (yeah got hit a lot, lol)

your level up screen will show

Strength 3X (from longsword skill)
Speed 2X (from athletic and acrobat I think)
Will Power 2X (from Destruction skill)
Endurance 3X (from medium armor)

The multipler simply adds to the normal 1 point bonus you get when leveling.

Hopefully this is straight forward...

oh... and your other questions...

no, when the game ask you to rest, that means you went up a level, which means 10 skills points has been reached. so your multiplier will only be calculated based on those 10 skill points.

and yes, most of the skill points you learn on your own by "using it" that means go kill stuff, run, jump, unlock, summon, whatever. You just need to do it enough times. At beginning skill increases are slow, but it will get faster as it goes up.

[ 05-09-2002, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Himura ]
Old 05-09-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
JohnDoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi, I think Himura wasn't quite right. Here's what I was going to post to the betheda forum. Too bad they offline or at least kind off.

Okay, here's how I understood it, any corrections are appreciated:

MAJOR AND MONOR SKILLS

1. Each time you increase a major or minor skill through training or practice you earn something which could be called an "experience point"

2. Once you have 10 EXP you gain a level.

3. When you gain a level, you may increase you stats using 3 "level points".

4. Unless you gained at leat one EXP in a skill which is gouverned by this attribute attribute, one LP corrosponds to one point increase in this attribute.

5. If you earned EXP by increasing skills which are gouverned by an atrribute, one LP corrosponds to increase of this attribute as follows:
EXP LP-Multiplier
1 2
2 2
3 2
4 2
5 3
6 3
7 3
8 4
9 4
10 5

Conclusion:
1. Major and minor skills work the same way, only the starting value of
the monor skills are lower.

2. You gan't get more than 7 points attribute increase through major/minor skill increase as you only have 3 level points. This means that in terms of attribute increase, any effort put into more skills than 3 will be lost.

MISC SKILLS

1. Misc skills may be increased through training and practice too.

2. Misc skills NEVER generate EXP.

3. Misc skills increased by practice generate "bonus experience points".
These BEXP ONLY add towards the multipliers on the level up screen.

4. Misc skills increased by training DON'T generate BEXP.

Conclusion:

1. It is possible to get 5/5/5 multipliers

2. Choose a misc skill for each attribute which is easy to practice.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Himura
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well,

I guess I was mistaken... sorry about the Ex point verse skill point part of it.

John Doe is correct that each skill point gain doesn't equal to 1 multiplier... I didn't think it through, my apologies.

and yes, the maximum multiplier you can get is 5, but most unlikely anyone can gain all 10 EX points using same type of skills...
Old 05-10-2002, 10:00 PM   #5
Drail
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Himura and Johndoe, thanks a lot guys, you really cleared it up for me. Very useful information on leveling I think everyone should be aware of.

My question now is: How many times do you have to raise a misc skill to gain one extra exp point (which adds to the multiplyers on level up screen)?

My goal is a system to get 5/5/5 multipliers.

So what I'm thinking of doing is raising 3 major/minors by one point per level giving 2/2/2.
I will gain the other 7 points on majors/minors in such a way that it will keep the skills, which represent stats I am not wanting to raise this level, lower and thus easier to raise next level.
(Sorry if this sounds muddled.)

Anyway, I now need to know how much I need to pump misc skills to get it to 5/5/5. As in the question above.
Drail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:09 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

How I wish I saw this post earlier, I didn't know that only major and minor skill give you level up. arghhh!!

now I have to replay a new game again ( for the 7th time now ). sheshhh!!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 11:56 AM   #7
JohnDoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

@drail:
Misc skills give exactly the same multiplier as major or minor skills.
An Example:
Say athletics is one of your major skills and you practice or train all day long. After 10 skill increases a message pops up that you reached the next level. You rest and come to the level up screen showing all skills with a multiplier of 1 but - what is it, agility? - which has a multiplier of 5.
Now let's suppose you stop training athletics after 9 skill increases and practice (training won't work!) conjuration, illusion and alteration, which are all misc skills for your charactor. You increase all those skills by 10. Remember that this is possible as these skills don't generate "EXP". After that, you increase athletics by one last level and level up.
Voila: You now have 5x multipliers in agility, willpower, intelligence and personality. But still only three "coins".
This takes SOME time though, as misc skills don't increase as fast as major or minor skills. It's also really powergaming and doesn't nessecarlily (sp, im German) add fun to the game. Well, for some player it does and they play the game like this.

@Kakero:
Hell no! Why should you restart? Everything's fine!

[ 05-13-2002, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: JohnDoe ]
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote