Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 09:37 PM   #1
jeriquo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have run into a magic golem and few mages that are hard to defeat due to the fact that so many spells you throw at them such as breach, thrust, pierce magic, ruby ray of reversal etc. can not be cast. every time you try it says "cannot cast spell against sanctuaried creature". Are there any actual spell that can be cast to removed their protections and make them vulnerable to offensive spells as well as melee attacks? Any expertise regarding this would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jeriquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:25 PM   #2
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Spoiler:

Only nonmagical weapons can harm magic golems.
Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:33 PM   #3
jeriquo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

by nonmagical do you mean just a bland old melee weapon. my longswords crossbows, and bows did not work. Is it because they are the better types with the +modifiers? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:35 PM   #4
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by jeriquo:
by nonmagical do you mean just a bland old melee weapon. my longswords crossbows, and bows did not work. Is it because they are the better types with the +modifiers? Thanks.

Non-magical means weapons without ANY enchantments, like a normal katana, long sword, hammer, arrow ... etc.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:42 PM   #5
jeriquo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

so i assume the same goes for mages and wizards when they are sanctuaried. also any animals I summoned to attack the magic golem were ineffective, they were black bears. how come they were ineffective? Thanks again
Old 06-29-2001, 01:48 AM   #6
Gimmick
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jeriquo:
so i assume the same goes for mages and wizards when they are sanctuaried. also any animals I summoned to attack the magic golem were ineffective, they were black bears. how come they were ineffective? Thanks again
Sorry, I was kinda vague there.

Nonmagical weapons are required to hit the magic golems.

However, the invisible/sanctuaried message almost always means that your target cast some sort of illusion spell on themselves, which makes you unable to target them with spells. There are 3 effective ways of countering:

1) Cast true sight, detect invisibility, invisibility purge, etc. Of these, true sight is the most effective as it works in almost all situations.

2) Use area of effect spells, which don't require you to target the invisible creature directly. They'll still take the damage.

3) Just back off and wait for their illusion spell to wear off.

Gimmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 01:41 PM   #7
KittyGal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When fighting a mage, have one of your people cast Breach, ect, then have a second cast "Oracle" it dispels Mirror Image, Invisibility ect... Then have your warriors beat the snot out of the thing until its in chunks

------------------
Make War not Love, War lasts longer.
KittyGal is offline   Reply With Quote