Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

hey!

i'm posting this message on this forum as well as on the other forums concerned. i loved bg2 and iwd1. will start iwd2 shortly. i've also tried my hand at bg1 but that will have to wait. are there any other games similar to the ones mentioned above that i can consider to purchase. i hear nwn needs quite a bit of ram compared to bg and the like. is this true or can i consider it too? apart from how and totlm, what are the other good expansions. What about totsc?

thanks.
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

Hello,
have you tried Planescape Torment? That uses the same engine as BG etc. but can be hard to get hold of. NWN I didn't rate as much as the earlier games, and yes it does take up more space but I reckon the boffins here will need you to say how much RAM you actually have... Personally I would recommend Divine Divinity, Wizardry 8 and Might and Magic 6,7,and 8 as great RPGs or the magnificent Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind, though none of them are quite in the same mould as the Forgotten Realms games, but then I'm guessing you know this already! Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-03-2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Jelly Sculptress ]
Old 09-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #3
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How 'bout Dungeon Seige and DS2? Those were pretty good, but didn't use the D&D rules.
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Jelly Sculptress:
Hello,
have you tried Planescape Torment? That uses the same engine as BG etc. but can be hard to get hold of. NWN I didn't rate as much as the earlier games, and yes it does take up more space but I reckon the boffins here will need you to say how much RAM you actually have... Personally I would recommend Divine Divinity, Wizardry 8 and Might and Magic 6,7,and 8 as great RPGs or the magnificent Elder Scrolls 3:Morrowind, though none of them are quite in the same mould as the Forgotten Realms games, but then I'm guessing you know this already! Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'd have to concur Jelly Sculptress. (Great name BTW!)

Wizardry 8 is a little rules intensive in some ways, much more so than Might & Magic 6,7 or 8. Of course, after having played BG2/IWD you may enjoy the complexity. Well, its not that its technically difficult per se, it's more that you can easily spend your hard earned experience on things that don't make sense or live up to your character concept. You just have to know the rules that's all. I hear Divine Divinity is very similar to the IE games, but with a different slant.

They're all good, but DS, and I suppose DS2 are much prettier on the eye and easier on the brain.

P.S. You can get copies of Planescape: Torment, you just have to shope around. I got mine late last year, second hand from Amazon.
Old 09-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

Glad you agree milord and fellow Blighty native. [img]smile.gif[/img] I have not played the Dungeon Siege games because I figured they were either strategy rich or diablo-esque which I hate, are they?