Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 04-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Mad

Hey!

I don't know if these are common but...

... when you are in kuldahar, you get to speak to the people and when i had used my paladin in an earlier game, some of the townspeople gave me some gems to use to get stuff from the smithy. i think they gave me a max of 2 gems.

... now i have a f/m/c (solo). now each time i speak to a townsperson, i have options that lead me to them giving me a gem. and that too repeatedly. i can get several gems from any one townsperson and i have the same options if i speak to any townsperson. so i can get an average of 2 gems (=200gp) every minute. cool??
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

That does sound like glitch. In Easthaven I remember bards being able to get gems from people and there is a dwarf willing to finance an expedition to find the dwarven ruins if you have a dwarf by giving you a gem to aid you. But I don't think I have encountered unlimited gems, or receiving gems of any kind in Kuldahar.

[ 04-06-2006, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #3
Aerich
Lord Ao

No, it's unlimited - I tested it once and got over 100 gems before I got too bored to continue. I found that out at least a year ago and posted it, I believe. It only works after you've talked to Arundel but before you finish off Kresselak's quest.

Any good cleric can exploit this - there may be a minimum Cha requirement, but I'm not sure. There are three conversations strings you can get when you talk to a Kuldahar townsperson about the Vale of Shadows, and one of them always results in getting a garnet. It's the one about Bone Dancers. The pattern of conversations strings is non-random, so every third time you talk to a villager, you get a gem. However, I believe you cannot just talk to the same one all the time, as the gem-giving option does not reset unless you talk to a different villager. If you talk to three villagers repeatedly in the same sequence, each villager will have one conversation string, and the same villager will give you a gem each time.

Edit: Yep, almost two years ago in fact. June 2004. Sorry, Serak, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But the glitch has been found before, and it seems to be available to all installations (except maybe AB).

[ 04-06-2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 04-06-2006, 06:05 PM   #4
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

@ Aerich

Checked your link. I joined in November 2004 so that would've been before me.

Any other such glitches I should be expecting?

[ 04-06-2006, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: Serak Moonblade ]
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

No, that's really the only major glitch, and certainly the only one with profit potential.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

There is another less known glitch. If you chose conversation options right with the bone dancer in level one of Kresslack temple you can get unlimited xp.

Basically you have to ask him who he is, then call all undead as being abominations, but then chose not to antagonize him any further but say something like "everyone is entitled to his own beliefs." you will get around 3000XP for not provocating him (double that on insane difficulty), and you get to start that part of converstation again, thus gaining unlimited XP really fast.
NOTE: it is better not to be done with a cleric, paladin or druid, because those classes get an additional dialogue option that allows you to get the XP only once. Evil cleric dont get the xp at all. So it works with every class, but you can mistake the general dialogue (which you can use unlimited times) with the cleric-druid-paladin specific one (which works only once).
Moreover: you can get additional 3000 XP for trying (and failing) to resolve matter peacefully, but that works only once.

The glitch works with all patches and TotL, not sure about AB.

^^I never use the above glitches... it is rather cheating.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Aerich
Lord Ao

Hmm. I heard about that one once but I never tried it out - so I forgot about it. I assumed that HoW fixed the dialogue, but apparently not.

The spawning skeletons and shadows in the Vale are technically unlimited too, if you want unlimited xp that you have to work for.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
Black Swan Gauntlet
The Magister

Also, in Kuldahar, you can get more gems - a cleric or paladin can persuade this man in an orange shirt to follow Ilmater, and receive a gem. If you have a druid, you can tell the man to revere nature, and ALSO get a gem. You can even do both. It's fun. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Black Swan Gauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
Aerich
Lord Ao

Technically, those aren't glitches - they are dialogue options that give you a bit of xp as well as a gem, which can actually be significant at that stage of the game.

It has to be a paladin or a good cleric - neutral and evil clerics don't cut it. To get both, you have to talk to him with the paladin/cleric first, then the druid. Apparently the impetus to worship the tree is stronger than the impetus to worship Ilmater, so you don't get the paladin or cleric dialogue option if you go in reverse order.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Yup, those with Paladin/cleric/druid getting gem aren't glitches since you can use them only once.

Another quite-famous, much-exploited glitch is the one that if you cast dispel magic on a druid transformed into an elemental form you can have him use normal weapons, rather than the crappy fists he gets to use normally. So you get an elemental with all its resistances, using good weapons with all their mellee bonuses. Some of the users here like to exploit this a lot. I won't mention any names, but the script guy knows who I'm talking about .