Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-21-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
Jaguar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Excellent level...I loved it!

...but I do have a few questions for you veterans out there. I have returned to Kuldahar to re-equip myself. My next mission (if I choose to accept it...) is located in a glacial region. Running low on normal arrows, I'm thinking about buying more magical ones in lieu of the normal ones...what's my best ammo loadout? I have both a thief and a bard who use magical bows...both of which are nearly depleated of normal arrows.

My next question is, since my bard is so educated in lore, what enemies will I encounter and what spells will be effective against them? The shadow orogs and drow in Dorn's Deep gave me a fit, as my spellcaster tried (in vain) to web and grease them. So I don't consider asking you good folk for knowledge of common lore of the creatures cheating, as my off-tune bard should be educated in their abilities/weaknesses.

IWD has been a great adventure for me, but I'm looking forward to finishing it and installing Baldur's Gate 2, as a member of a forum I'm a moderator of has suggested it. Which leads to the last question,...how does IWD compare to Balur's Gate II and it's expansion, "Throne of Baal"?

[ 08-21-2005, 12:27 AM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]
Music to my ears; \"I love you, daddy.\"<br /><br />--Holly, my three-year old baby.<br /><br />Visit my friends and I at [url]\"http://www.golom.com/forums\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.golom.com/forums</a>
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Brainless One
Zhentarim Guard

I can't really answer your first question, as when I ran through the game I had decided to make little use of ranged weapons (whoops! ). I like how you ask using your bard's lore, so I shall answer in that Wyrm's Tooth itself is of course loaded to the brim with ice creatures - ice trolls, snow trolls, and frost giants to name a few. I should also add that if you have been thorough in your killing, you should be able to start the Heart of Winter expansion, if you are interested/and/or own it. And your last answer, I shall put it in the form of a comparison:

IWD: Only one village, very straightforward, not a lot of free exploration, heavily combat-based, interesting dialogue choices, not a lot of dialogue though, no Reputation to worry about most of the time, virtually all enemies are undead or resistant to some elemental damage, etc.

BG2: Many cities, has a goal but 80% of game is side-quests and free exploration that is totally up to you, less randomized drops, still plenty of combat, but these battles are more strategic, sort of repetitive dialogue choices, and LOTS of talking, Reputation is important to not lose (with a 20 you get 50% off store prices!), large variation in enemy types, but virtually of those are resistant to magic. The best RPG I have ever played if not the original BG.

With ToB: This part is more straightforward with little free exploration, but very difficult battles, and every enemy seems to drop +3 equipment like it's nothing (which it sort of is, at that point), you become immensely powerful, good expansion overall. And in these games, Baal is referred to as Bhaal for some reason. But either way, you would be considered insane if you passed up BG2. (You should play BG1 first though, just to get plot and things down, and it is somewhat closer to IWD).

HAVE FUN BEATING ALL THREE!,
-Brainless One
Brainless One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:09 AM   #3
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

IMHO, the sling and bullets are the best missile weapons. almost all creatures are affected by it. so in a party try to have at least 2 who use slings.
as far as wyrm's tooth (and the rest of the game) is concerned, it would not make that much of difference since the most preferred mode of attack at a distance are area effect spells for groups of bad guys and targetting spells for bosses.

IMHO hold your tanks back till the area is clear of the spell and then charge.

This may not answer your query specifically but may help you as a general tactic.
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

In comparison of BG2 and IWD, the IWD series is much more linear. What has not been said is that you only create yourself, and get others to join you throughout the game. Playing BG1 is almost a must before starting BG2, but not necessary. It is longer and more in depth, but lacks huge, ultra memorable fights that make IWD fun (Yux comes to mind).
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Originally posted by Jaguar:
Quote:
Excellent level...I loved it!

...but I do have a few questions for you veterans out there. I have returned to Kuldahar to re-equip myself. My next mission (if I choose to accept it...) is located in a glacial region. Running low on normal arrows, I'm thinking about buying more magical ones in lieu of the normal ones...what's my best ammo loadout? I have both a thief and a bard who use magical bows...both of which are nearly depleted of normal arrows.
Buy magical arrows. Lots of magical arrows. Buy them from the storekeeper in the Severed Hand, as he has the best selection and I think the best prices. Buy acid arrows and the best '+' (generally +2) arrows you can get. Some people love arrows of piercing, but there aren't many available to buy. I like to have at least one character use crossbows so as to be able to use bolts of biting and lightning. It is good to have a few stacks of less costly arrows to expend on lesser enemies, as well.

Quote:
My next question is, since my bard is so educated in lore, what enemies will I encounter and what spells will be effective against them? The shadow orogs and drow in Dorn's Deep gave me a fit, as my spellcaster tried (in vain) to web and grease them. So I don't consider asking you good folk for knowledge of common lore of the creatures cheating, as my off-tune bard should be educated in their abilities/weaknesses.
Mass-damage dealers (anything but cold), single-target damagers, entangle, summons, Chromatic Orb. Other motion-inhibitors like Slow, Stinking Cloud, and Cloud of Pestilence are also worthy. Many of the (*ahem* large) creatures you meet from here on will have good saving throws, so use spells like Cloudkill and Acid Fog that do damage round after round even if saves are made. Animate Dead is a great summons despite the low hp because undead are immune to poison (and cold). Elementals and druidic summons give good value. Melf's Acid Arrow is a fantastic spell to use against any caster, as are Dispel Magic and Magic Missile (to take down Mirror Image). Improved Invisibility is nice. If you do manage to stick some enemies in one place in a clump, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles are destructive at higher levels (good for bards).

Quote:
IWD has been a great adventure for me, but I'm looking forward to finishing it and installing Baldur's Gate 2, as a member of a forum I'm a moderator of has suggested it. Which leads to the last question,...how does IWD compare to Balur's Gate II and it's expansion, "Throne of Baal"?
IWD is much more linear than BG II, as several have said above. There are many more quests, and many more dialogue options based on class, race, alignment, etc. The fights are also different - you generally won't get overwhelmed by hordes of enemies in BG II, but you may find yourself in tough against one or two very strong enemies. Spellcasters are much more powerful in BG than they are in IWD - they have easier spell access (scrolls), better spell selection, and some extremely powerful spells that are not enabled in IWD.

[ 08-25-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]