Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Dungeon Seige III

Anyone have it yet? I pre-ordered it on Amazon. Will need to get used to the key and mouse controls which are different than DSI and DSII. Graphics look great as usual though from the small amount I have seen so far. Haven't yet tried multiplayer (the private one). Curious how well that works. Also haven't read to many reviews yet so wondering if anyone here has the game and what they think?

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Dungeon Seige III

Wating on reviews here too.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

All I read about the pc version is that it's a console port and it's better to use gamepad/controller to play with it.

I also read that there would be a patch out to make it more "pc friendly"
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
All I read about the pc version is that it's a console port and it's better to use gamepad/controller to play with it.

I also read that there would be a patch out to make it more "pc friendly"
I also have read this in numerous places. Lady Z: I am looking forward on hearing your single player experience because there are many naa sayers and usually I have found that it takes two to four weeks of actual user experience to get a better feel for the game.

One thing that seems to be predominate though is that it is certainly different from DS 1 and II which begs the question, "Why call it DS III?"

Thus I'd like to get your feed back as to whether or not the game is still a good one as is without comparing it to DS 1 and 2.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Ladyzekke

Kakero - Glad to hear about that PC Friendly patch. I also read about people using a gamepad instead of the keys, but I figure those are people who use gamepads and console games more so are familiar with them. I myself have used a keyboard/computer since the 80s at work and home, so it is easier for me. It may take a little getting used to the keys you need to use to play, but eventually I'll get it down and will be able to play without looking at the keyboard.

Albromor - I've also read complaints re the game but many are people who seem to just not like the type of game. I mean, Dungeon Siege has always been a game where you mostly just run around and kill stuff mostly. The storylines are OK but nothing all that terrific. I've also read complaints about not finding much of value at Merchants, but that may be storyline related, and really, DSII didn't offer much of value Merchant-wise. Most of your good stuff came from random finds or from killing stuff. DSIII certainly graphically looks Like all the other Dungeon Sieges though. Differences are the key controls, no pausing (boo - but they may fix that), only the four characters to pick from and no changing the face/hair etc. of those characters. Some people have complained about the mapping, saying they end up wandering into higher level areas they shouldn't be at, but supposedly at times you get a "glittering path" which leads you the correct way. Plus, re the mapping, sheesh, DSII had the miniest of mini maps LOL. DSIII has a map that looks bigger to me (although this time around I am using a way bigger monitor so it may just look bigger because of that, but either way it is not smaller than DSII's map). Also, I've read that the main monsters target whoever hits them first, but that to me isn't a big deal. I remember in the DSII addon - Broken Sword, at least in our multigame, sheesh it seemed the monsters targeted whoever ran away which kind of sucks cause usually one runs away when they are getting ready to croak LOL. Also, you get healing/mana orbs in DSIII instead of potions, and some say that there are many leech/regeneration abilities out there, so there may not be as much of a need for those orbs. Sounds fine to me!

Either way, I am not daunted yet. Not enough reviews out there yet to get a real good idea of how the game is, plus there are always the first patches that will fix a lot of things.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Ladyzekke

Yeah I dunno LOL. Getting daunted now. Played for about an hour tonight and just got frustrated at all the frikken key controls. They did have an update recently wherein you can now make the keys what you want, but still there are so many.

From the manual, just to give you an idea:

Left Mouse - Move/Attack/Interact
Right Mouse - Use selected ability
Mouse Wheel - zoom
Cntl QWE (what?) - Empower Ability
Tab - change stance form - magic
Shift - hold ground
space - defensive mode
Space plus Left Mouse - Dodge
R - Quest Guide
D - Equip
T - Items
G - Lore
B - Abilities
S - Quest Journal
A - Minimap
Left Cntrl - Quick Pick up

These are the defaults from the Manual, which you can only download the pdf from Steam. You can only seem to play the game through Steam, and it took tonight 15 minutes to load the game (although it could have been because it was also loading the update). Plus the Equip and Items options are confusing as each one takes you to a different screen, and each one has different selections to scroll through. Again, you can change the playing keys now with the update, but for me still too much and the menus are the same confusion.

And there is no "paper doll" screen wherein you can see your character, and all the items which include everything (weapons, items, etc.) all in one area. Now you have to click on each category to see what you have equipped, and it is so far to me difficult to figure out what I have equipped and then there is another button which seems to show new things you have gotten, but is confusing as to how to equip these things while comparing what you already have equipped, as those things are located in a different menu. The older DS's were easy in that your items were all in one place, and you could just drag them onto your paper doll. You also have to get right up to dropped items, then hit "E" to pick them up, or hit the "Left Control" to pick up all. But then you have to go through all this confusion to see what you have by clicking on all the categories. I am assuming going into this menu to to look through all these item categories pauses the game so you aren't getting your arse handed back to you by the enemies, But I haven't actually tried to do it with enemies around so not sure on that.

I also don't see a save option in the menu, so figure it must autosave, but only at certain points I am thinking. I say this because I got through a quest, then when I read all the conversation texts after said quest, I went to leave the game and it said "Are you sure you want to leave?" and something like I won't have things saved otherwise. So no telling if, when I return to the game, where I will continue from. It obviously won't be where I exited the game.

The thing I always liked about Dungeon Seige is the easy way to just go through and fight. Clicking on the mouse buttons were all you needed to know except for accessing certain abilities. So many keyboard buttons now. I just feel I am moving along OK, but it takes a lot longer to do anything because of that. And the mouse movement re the camera panning is slow, and I have a large widescreen now so it takes longer to get to the edge of the screen to do that. I wanted to use the D and A keys to camera pan, but then I needed to pick buttons to move left and right, so used them for that. I suppose I could use other buttons to camera pan, but that would to me only make things more cumbersome. I also can't seem to hover my mouse button over any icons on the screen to see what they are and access them (not that there are many, I cannot find any Journal, inventory, abilities icons so far). I liked the other DS's where you could do that to access maps, inventory, etc. Just hover, click, look, pick from all the different little icon(s) all together.

Maybe I am still to new to the game and haven't figured out how to do those things. All I know, is usually Dungeon Siege is pretty easy and I do not find this one anywhere near as easy to play. And since it is in real time, blah. I know a lot of MMORGs are like that.

I think I will just wait until we try our multigame and see how that goes early this coming week. Just don't have any of the usual "wanna play again" feeling right now re my single player game at this point. I just prefer the mouse clicking and having icons to click on for everything rather than memorizing a bunch of key controls. And again, I like the inventory to be all in once place so I can just scroll through it all and drag stuff on the paper doll.

Perhaps I am just too old school and used to easy playing rather than power playing where you have to play so much and so often you have all those buttons memorized eventually because of the sheer amount of hours you put into it daily.

Again though, graphics are great, gotta at least say that.

Will update later, maybe I'll change my mind in time.

Reality Show Recaps

Last edited by Ladyzekke; 07-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

Uhh...It's an action RPG. It's not rocket science!

The Dung heap games barely had any redeeming features if you ask me - they're essentially interactive screensavers, but thankfully are fun for a playthrough in multiplayer. The first DS has also been used to make updated versions of two Ultima games. Lazarus (U5) and the U6 Project. I haven't tried them out yet, but must do at some point - as it's a worthy cause.

The main reason I'm mildly curious about trying the third game, is that Obsidian developed it with Square Enix and thus did the writing for it. (Think Kotor 2, Mask of the Betrayer, NWN 2, Storm of Zehir, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas.)
I also read an interview with George Ziets at Gamebanshee which made the story arcs and fair treatment of canon seem interesting.

Anyway, hope you figure it all out and get your money's worth LadyZeeke!

Cheers
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I have barely played the 'tutorial' part and already I'm not fond of the mouse and keyboard controls. And the view...it's like my character has a neck injury and can only look up halfway!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Not thrilled with all the keyboarding either, LC. The wholw logging in to Steam in order to play is annoying too. I played a little but am not sure what I'm doing with all the keys and getting sround is kind of jerky at the moment. I guess I'll get used to it if I play ita whyile.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #10
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I played the demo, but unlike DSII somehow DSIII didn't appeal to me. So I didn't buy the game when it was released.