Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Blade3000
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Going Solo

Hey folks,

Playing through Icewind Dale at the moment with 3 characters, but I'm on chapter 5 I think so I should be finished soon.

Thinking of trying to solo through Icewind Dale 2 once I'm done.

I've played through the game once before (with a full party) and while I wouldn't describe myself as an expert by any means, I am not having any trouble whatsoever with just 3 in Icewind Dale 1 so I think I can do it.

Just wondering what classes people would suggest? I'm thinking about Sorcerer but I've never played one before. How do you play a solo character who can't melee much? And getting by without any healing spells, just potions, must be tough.

Any character class suggestions and tips on how to play solo would be much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Going Solo

If you're going to solo, there's a mod you should download, to fix a little issue with experience. I don't remember what it's called, but you can find it at Pocketplane.

Anyway, the isue is that about halfway through the game, you'll become so powerful that you'll earn 1 experience point per kill. Talk about grinding.

As for classes? Well, I made it through IWDII with a solo Bard... That was quite fun. As for suggestions... if you're running a sorcerer, focus on spells that incapacitate, rather than deal damage. Would you rather cast Sleep and knock out 6 foes, or cas Magic Missile, and kill 1?

Good Hunting!
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Kyrvias:

That is interesting. I'd played upto Dorn's deep without noticing this problem, but could you assist with a direct link to the solution.

***** POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****

I wanted to reprise my solo run but have been forced to restart. I've nearly reached angry snake lady whose name i'd rather not name in order to avoid spoiling.

*****END POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serak Moonblade View Post
Kyrvias:

That is interesting. I'd played upto Dorn's deep without noticing this problem, but could you assist with a direct link to the solution.

***** POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****

I wanted to reprise my solo run but have been forced to restart. I've nearly reached angry snake lady whose name i'd rather not name in order to avoid spoiling.

*****END POTENTIAL SPOILERS*****
Serak, they're talking about IWD 2 here....
Old 02-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #5
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

I... um... foot... mouth....
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I'd suggest something like a Deep Gnome Monk with 1 level of Rogue and 1 level of Cleric (Bane). Having a great AC should help a bunch.

Another fun option might be a Drow Paladin 2 or 3/Sorcerer X.

Remember, an XP penalty isn't too big a deal when you're soloing!

I really suggest dipping into a lot of classes for their bonuses. Monk adds WIS to AC (great for any divine caster), Rangers get TWF, Paladins get Save bonuses, ect..

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
galdur
Dungeon Master

I've passed IWD with Cleric/Ranger. Pretty strong class. The good thing is, that Ranger and Cleric spells merges together, so when you have sufficient level to cast 1st level of druid spells, you can use all slots from Cleric class to cast them. The bad thing is, you cannot use swords and bows.
As for other skills, when you need to sneak, just change armor to light one, otherwise wear heavy armor. This class can get very good AC and resistance. Its similiar to Fighter/Cleric class, weaker in melee, but with ability to cast druid spells. Some combinations of cleric and druid spells are pretty much effective. For example, when you cast sanctuary and static charge, noone will attack you, but static charge will work even outside of sanctuary.
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally Posted by galdur View Post
I've passed IWD with Cleric/Ranger. Pretty strong class. The good thing is, that Ranger and Cleric spells merges together, so when you have sufficient level to cast 1st level of druid spells, you can use all slots from Cleric class to cast them. The bad thing is, you cannot use swords and bows.
As for other skills, when you need to sneak, just change armor to light one, otherwise wear heavy armor. This class can get very good AC and resistance. Its similiar to Fighter/Cleric class, weaker in melee, but with ability to cast druid spells. Some combinations of cleric and druid spells are pretty much effective. For example, when you cast sanctuary and static charge, noone will attack you, but static charge will work even outside of sanctuary.
(This is about IWD2)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Blade3000
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well I'm underway.

Spoilers****

Have made it past the Shaengarne bridge fight. It's slow progress involving a lot of resting though. Also if my sorcerer gets held I'm absolutely screwed which has happened once or twice. But otherwise I haven't been wiped out.

Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Fireball and Horror are all proving amazing spells. Sleep was great at the start but the enemies are probably too tough now. And Chromatic Orb is always great when you reach high level.

I am very impressed at the enemies in this game. Possibly it's just because I'm soloing and not just blitzing through them but they seem to be a lot more strategic and not nearly as susceptible to some of the old tricks that could get you through Baldur's Gate.

I didn't download anything from that Pocketplane link because I couldn't find which download file you were referring too. My sorcerer seems to be doing alright for levels at the moment, think he's level 7.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

The one problem about solo play is there will come a time when your character will out level the enemies and so you will stop getting xp. Since your level is your only advantage things will get harder.

A solution is to import five level 1 characters and leave at the zones entrances, just to lower your party level.