Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2003, 07:16 PM   #1
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I downloaded the ShadowKeeper just to see what it is like. When I open the program, I have no idea what to do. MudMast opens up and it says: Ctrl+X Exits the program. "/help' for program help. None of these commands seem to work, and the ones on the ShadowMaster site always say: Invalid Command or Session name missing when I type in these commands. What do I do?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Faceman
Hathor

Shadowkeeper can be downloaded from
http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html download link at the bottom of the page
Mudmaster is a different program that can be downloaded from the same site in the Download section.
Shadowmaster is a program for diablo II

Seems to me that you have downloaded MudMaster which is a completely different program that has IIRC nothing to do with SoA.

[ 06-09-2003, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Faceman ]
Old 06-09-2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

oh, my bad. Forget it anyway, from what I've read, it seems to ruin the fun of the game...not something that I'm looking forward to!

[ 06-09-2003, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Lord ]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:52 PM   #4
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
oh, my bad. Forget it anyway, from what I've read, it seems to ruin the fun of the game...not something that I'm looking forward to!
Depends on what you use it for. There was one time I had a bug, and had to reset one of the variables to fix it. Not considered cheating, because it is only fixing a bug. However, I did use it one time to change Anomen's proficiencies around. Cheating? Sure. But not too bad, since all I did was move the slot out of Sword and Shield style and over to Warhammers.

Now using it to give your party 20 million gold, or 25 strength to all of your party members? Definitely bad news, and will spoil the fun of your game. The question really is do you have the discipline to avoid using it to overbalance your game?
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 07:59 PM   #5
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Well, Shadowkeeper is also useful if you make a stupid (D'OH!) mistake like having one of your party members die then forgetting to pick up their stuff AAAAAAAH then when you come back it's gone! With Shadowkeeper, you can just re-give them the stuff, and it's not really cheating since losing it was an accident. As long as it's the same stuff.
Anyway, if you really wanted to, you could beef up your main and powerhouse through the game with all the good stuff, armor, weapons, etc... I've done it before, it's pretty fun.
It's also good if you forget to get an item because it's your first time, such as... [Possible Spoiler]
The Sword of Chaos +2 in Irenicus' dungeon. I missed it the first time, and got really angry at the game hehe, but the next time I got it yay.
Anyway, Shadowkeeper is also useful for, as Nerull said, changing things you don't like about your NPCs without abusing it. That's all I can think of for the moment. Oh, and it's also decent for over-xp glitches, etc...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #6
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
I agree with Nerull and Dadams on their sentiments, but not their actions. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I have both the CLUA console activated and Shadowkeeper, but not to fix what's "wrong" with the NPCs or silly mistakes. I use it for roleplaying reasons, mostly little things that the game won't let me do without them.

For example, I'm creating a character named Choth Duardanaar for an upcoming BG2 fanfic. Choth is a winged Avariel male who aids, assists, and eventually courts Aerie. To me, Avariel are light so they can fly. Winged elves, doncha know. So I used SK to knock Choth's strength down to 5. To balance this, I gave him 20 charisma; I see him as a pretty witty guy so his fellow party members won't kill him for having only 5 STR! Also, in my mind, Choth is a bardic thief who prefers concealable weapons. There is no way for a bard to have other thief proficiencies unless they are added through SK. I added the thief class to make a sort of bard/thief combo, but took out all of the bardic spellcasting abilities just to be fair. I also gave him two points in daggers instead of just one, since it will be quite a while before Choth gets good weapons.

The point is, the power corrupts only if you do not balance, young Padwan learner.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #7
Tiela
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Since I have a question about Shadowkeeper, I thought I would post it right here, instead of starting a brand new thread. I have used Shadowkeeper to change my character portraits in the past. I'm just getting ready to start the game again, and I wonder if I can use Shadowkeeper to change voices? Specifically, I'd like to flip the genders of my characters around to make things a little more interesting, since I've played the game so many times. I've heard there are mods you can download to make things more interesting, but I've always been afraid that might mess up my computer or game somehow. Anyway, I've never been able to figure out a way to use Shadowkeeper for changing voices, even though someone posted on another board that it was possible.
Tiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:10 AM   #8
Vedran
Lord Soth

I don't think you can change voices with SK, but couldn't you change them in the game?

Don't be afraid of mods. As long as they are WeiDU, they will hardly mess anything.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:43 AM   #9
Whailor

Overuse of Shadow Keeper definately messes up the game. Personally found it to be useful tool, when I ran into different bugs and issues, which were not supposed to happen, or what was supposed to work but didn't actually. In cases like this, SK was one of the invaluable tools. But yeah, don't fall to temptation and overuse it...
Old 06-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #10
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

I usually only use SK to change the colours of my characters. It allows me a more generous selection and also allows me to change those metal, armor and leather colours.