Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I have been trying to install some old games on the computer recently and ran into a problem.

Win98
PII 266
Intel Motherboard
256 SD-RAM

The error message I get is as such,

Quote:
0001D5D3 caused an invalid page fault in module ZDATAI51.DLL of 015f: 10003 ecd
followed by several hex values.

The games I tried to install were BG1 and Pharoah.

I really do not wish to reinstall the OS.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

The site I normaly get this kind of info from is down, which makes thins tricky. But I ran across this from the IWD tech FAQ

Quote:
Q: ILLEGAL OPERATION DURING INSTALL: During the installation of Icewind Dale, I receive an Illegal Operation crash in the installation, sometimes saying something about ZDATAI51.DLL. What can I do?

A: This error appears to be caused by bad disc media. Check the bottom of the disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or fingerprints. If any are found, try cleaning the bottom of the disc with a lint-free cloth. If the crash continues to occur even after cleaning the disc, return the game to your retailer for another copy. Some further information: This problem was sent to InstallShield, and their technical support also recommended several other things to try: Disable any antivirus programs that are currently running, delete the contents of your Temp directory (usually C:\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp), or try installing in Safe Mode.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

heh, the joys of windows 98. [img]smile.gif[/img]

An error during installation involving ZDATAI51.DLL is usually associated with an error on the installation disk. But don't panic just yet (and certainly don't reinstall the OS!) and check for obvious scratches, marks etc. Give the cd a clean if it looks a bit skanky.

Next, check your free space..always nice to have a couple of hundred megs free for the paging file on top of the programs you wish to install.

Secondly, delete all your temporary files, then restart the computer. Disable any antivirus products and try the install again. (remembering to start them up again after!)

If that doesn't work, then most tech support for games recommend installing it in safe mode to get round this problem. Restart the computer and press f8 just before it says 'starting windows 98' and select 'safe mode.'

One of those should do the trick...
Old 01-29-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I search the web and found something from Icewin Dale's FAQ:

Q: ILLEGAL OPERATION DURING INSTALL: During the installation of Icewind Dale, I receive an Illegal Operation crash in the installation, sometimes saying something about ZDATAI51.DLL. What can I do?

A: This error appears to be caused by bad disc media. Check the bottom of the disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or fingerprints. If any are found, try cleaning the bottom of the disc with a lint-free cloth. If the crash continues to occur even after cleaning the disc, return the game to your retailer for another copy. Some further information: This problem was sent to InstallShield, and their technical support also recommended several other things to try: Disable any antivirus programs that are currently running, delete the contents of your Temp directory (usually C:\Temp or C:\Windows\Temp), or try installing in Safe Mode.

Don't know if this will be any help to you.

[edited] Dang... Andrewas beat me to it.

[ 01-29-2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]