Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Okay, I've been wondering this for a long while now... WTF IS A SPLEEN!?!? And while we're on the subject of organs, what is your appendix for? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Thank you in adavance guys. [img]smile.gif[/img]
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
Old 01-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #2
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Your spleen is to the left of your stomach and stores blood and filters it out. As for your appendix, not too sure what it does either.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Sythe
Ra

I believe that Spleen is also called your Spine. The bones at the middle of your back.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Smoothie
Manshoon

The appendix is a vestige. In other words it at one time in evolution had a function but now it does not, much like ear lobes. It just sits there and bides its time waiting for a bit of food to get trapped there, build a little ecocommunity and then blow it up, WHAM!

oh sorry got caught up in the evil appendix. Anyway, it is pretty much just a small bit of dangly thing that sits in between two bits of your intestines and is good for nothing but sitting and biding its time...
Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Smoothie
Manshoon

oh yeah spleens also produce many blood type cells, along with bone marrow. so be kind to your spleen, it makes alot of those antibody warrior type cells you need to fight off mean nasties that might otherwise try and build ecocommunities in little dangly things between your intestines.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
T/-/alali
Baaz Draconian

I've been wondering that too [img]tongue.gif[/img] , I never did get what the spleen was supposed to do.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:42 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Oooohhh, an exploding appendix would hurt, it almost happened to me...
I've heard that it has killed before too, is this true?
Old 01-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Well.. the explosion itself not, but I can imagine that the infection that follows can be pretty lethal yes. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2004, 07:34 AM   #9
Smoothie
Manshoon

Yes what happens is the infection (sepsis) is hard to fight off, usually leading to shock and organ failure. It is the way that Harry Houdini died.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

That's why anyone with an 'exploded' (sounds kinda awful, but most of the times it just bursts) appendix needs to visit the hospital immediately to get all the sepsis out ASAP because otherwise he could die very very soon.

I think you could compare it with someone walking around with pneumonia without medicin or something. Pneumonia kills you quickly enough as well.