Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-16-2001, 07:35 AM   #1
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

im starting a new game and my charcter is a half elf fighter/thief neutral good alignment

that much im sure of.

what rare weapons can i look forward to/aim for in the different proficiencies??

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-16-2001, 08:09 AM   #2
Lord Exxon

What kind of proficienses have your character?

------------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Old 10-16-2001, 08:14 AM   #3
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

havent assigned it yet

i havent made him yet but wats above is the groundings for it

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-16-2001, 08:25 AM   #4
Lord Exxon

If I were you, I would have chosen:
+two weapon style
++katana
++short sword
If you follow this, you can get awesome swords like Celestial Fury and Cutthroat+4!

------------------
What we do in life, echoes in eternity

Old 10-16-2001, 08:48 AM   #5
Byronas

Welcome to the board.
This is how I think you should:
++two weapon style
++Bastard sword
++War Hammer (later on the game you will ber able to make a magnificent war hammer!!)
Have fun!
If you can
And by the way are you from Greece?

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:15 AM   #6
Archon Devangilous
The Magister

thanx!!

ive been a huge fan of duel wielding since reading the drizzit books.
ive played through the game once but didnt bother with many subquests or rare weapons im doin my hsc so i didnt want to spend hrs on the comp

i plan to spend a lot of time playin through it very soon

the reason i asked about two handed weapons was sarevoks sword. it says that the sword tapped into the powers inside does it do anything if assigned to the main. i gave it to minsc then replaced it later on with the talking sword

and no im not from greece im from sydney australia

------------------
Nor shadow or myst
the jester is a myth
he is absolute
beware the jester
Old 10-16-2001, 07:14 PM   #7
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

you cant backstab with blunt weapons or bastard swords, so go with katana or long sword as your main hand weapon, and the THAC0 penalties for dual-wielding can be crippling so i usually go

*** two weapon style
** katana
* mace

then add weapon proficiencies according to what weapons you find that you like, but i do recommend becoming proficient in at least one blunt weapon type.
Old 10-16-2001, 10:41 PM   #8
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

SPOILERS below
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
As a good character you probably wont be having Korgan in your group, so axes should be considered as well. I used the Baldurdash patch to get Azuredge working as it was supposed to and its invaluable against undead, available VERY early, and cheap. Likewise there are very nice +3 axes available to buy or find early on. Leave hammers to either Korgan or Anomen, even though it means you wont be using Crom Faeyr for your PC. Plus axes give your character a ranged weapon while still being able to use a shield, same as daggers.

You can either go Dual wielding or Two handed in the long run. If dual wielding you'll still want to use a shield for a while until you get better armour for your fighter/thief, so dont worry about maxing out the dual wield with 3 stars from the beginning. Dual wielders are all about extra attacks and gaining benefits from equipping an extra weapon. As a f/t you'll want to be able to backstab, so stick with longswords, daggers, katanas, short swords or scimitars.

Long swords are essential for an elven fighter/thief. Elves get a +1 to hit bonus with longswords, longswords are plentiful and useful right from the start, unlike Katanas ( which require a nasty fight and only really have the one good one, Celestial Fury ). Blade of Roses is a good +3 blade with +2 charisma, useful for a leader. Adjatha the drinker is very nice, heals 1 hp per hit, immunity to charm and domination ( good to dual with daystar against vampires ). Daystar great against undead, same with Flametongue. If you continue into ToB there's the mighty Angurvadal which when upgraded takes care of your strength worries and level draining.

I go for scimitars as well with my elven f/t. Belm on the off hand for +2 attacks. In ToB I use Scarlet Ninja-to when I get the Use Any Item ability. I can get 9/2 attacks per round, and dont need to worry about Whirlwind abilities, not when Improved Haste lasts longer and allows 9 assassination attacks in a round, followed by critical strikes.

My f/t started with 2 in longswords, scimitars and dual wield. I used a shield until I got my third star in dual, did the gong quest early for belm. Only bad thing about longswords, scimitars and katanas is there are no +4 or more in SoA, which sucks against Kangaxx. Daggers and shortswords have +4's available for that fight. I just gave the Sling of Everard to my f/t for the demilich, he could use it better than Viconia even without the proficiency points.

Stay away from bastard swords, you cant backstab with them and there arent any good ones till ToB. In ToB however dual wielding Foebane and the Purifier is nice.

If going Two Handed weapons grab Longbow (+1 for elves) and Two Handed Swords and Quarterstaff, and stand in the back row. With Use Any Item in ToB you'll be able to weild Staff of Magi (great for instant unlimited invisibility) and Carsomyr. Dont worry about Two Handed Weapon Style points for a while, it doesnt help with the bow and the points are better spent elsewhere at the start, as a multi you wont get many proficiency points.

btw an elven f/t is better as an evil character for certain rewards you get at the end of SoA.