Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
knoj
Dungeon Master

is it just me or would baldurs gate be much funner and more well rounded if they didn't make you memorize spells but rather, set up the magic system similiar to diablo? where you can use potions to fill up your magic pool. i say this because you can't always know which spells your going to need in the near future. don't get me wrong, the baldur's gate series of games is a hell of a lot funner than diablo's, (where the entire purpose is to get better weapons) but by memorizing only a few choice spells, it prevents you from ever using your full arsonel. obviously the game would be way too easy if you could go and buy a dozen potions, but the point i'm tryin to make is that if your mages had a magic pool or pts, then you might actually use those arroneous spells that only come in handy a few times in the game. anybody disagree ?????
knoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:28 AM   #2
cloud88
Manshoon

im whit you man
and you say that the game would get a lot easier
thats true but maybe interplay could do like harder
monsters or hrder difficult lv?
Some little angel tries to tell me that it\'s over,<br />It\'s just a bad reflection from above.<br />The load upon my shoulder makes me stronger, even bolder,<br />Oh no no, I haven\'t had enough.<br />-Heaven can wait, another fine reason to live.
cloud88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:33 AM   #3
knoj
Dungeon Master

quote:
thats true but maybe interplay could do like harder
monsters or hrder difficult lv?

that's exactly what i was thinking too. if only they had a normal, a difficult, and maybe a chaotic level, where you could progress to the next lev after you beat the game. but back to the magic issue, IMO mages can be both the weakest player in the game, and the most powerful (by design). they are the ones who kill the daveorns, the dwarf wards, the tazoks, but hide from the gibberlings and tazlois, again (by design). if a mage doesn't get to use their full range of magic during battle, then it can greatly diminish their effectiveness overall. i must add that i haven't played BGII yet so i don't know if they made the mage more effective or improved their capabilities??
knoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 06:08 AM   #4
Jan

You got a very good point. I agree.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:52 AM   #5
cloud88
Manshoon

its always good to have people on your side jan

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: cloud88 ]

Some little angel tries to tell me that it\'s over,<br />It\'s just a bad reflection from above.<br />The load upon my shoulder makes me stronger, even bolder,<br />Oh no no, I haven\'t had enough.<br />-Heaven can wait, another fine reason to live.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:05 AM   #6
Jan

What do you mean cloud88?

Have I said something wrong?
Old 02-19-2002, 01:37 PM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by knoj:
is it just me or would baldurs gate be much funner and more well rounded if they didn't make you memorize spells but rather, set up the magic system similiar to diablo? where you can use potions to fill up your magic pool. i say this because you can't always know which spells your going to need in the near future. don't get me wrong, the baldur's gate series of games is a hell of a lot funner than diablo's, (where the entire purpose is to get better weapons) but by memorizing only a few choice spells, it prevents you from ever using your full arsonel. obviously the game would be way too easy if you could go and buy a dozen potions, but the point i'm tryin to make is that if your mages had a magic pool or pts, then you might actually use those arroneous spells that only come in handy a few times in the game. anybody disagree ?????

Personally, I think your idea isn't too great.

i)why would we want to make BG funnier?? We dont. It already can be pretty humerous.
ii)We dont want to make it easier either. It's called a challenge.
iii)Thirdly, not knowing what spells you are going to need/use, is called Real Life. BG has the system like that, because in RL you wouldn't know either....
Old 02-19-2002, 01:47 PM   #8
cloud88
Manshoon

maybe so,but why would whe not wanna make it funnier?
sure its already really fun but whats wrong in make
it funnier?
Old 02-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #9
Sir Marcus Swordseeker
Dungeon Master

I have to agree with Lavindather thats part of the strategy aspect of the game . You never know when you'll neded to have certain spells or just go with the everyday spells having a magic pool takes away from this aspect of the game
Sir Marcus Swordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 02:19 PM   #10
Vohl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

100% agree with Lav
I also think its part of the dedication to being a mage. Start out with almost nothing, and have to concentrate on just surviving and living long enough to gain more knowledge. Slowly (very slowly), but surely, it begins to pay off, and soon, with the right spell selection (memorizing) one cast can change the whole outcome of a battle. Thats the thrill of it.
As in table D&D, i believe the dedication of being a mage is enough to weed out those but that do not have the patience for it, its a long process.

[ 02-19-2002: Message edited by: Vohl ]

Vohl is offline   Reply With Quote