Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok. I'm fighting Imp. Mae'Var now, and it shouldn't be too difficult for me, but somehow I'm getting killed every time, and all because of whatever invisibility Mae'Var is using. Right now, I'm using Viconia, Edwin, Aerie, Korgan, and my Gen. Archer PC (a little short on tanks, but I know and certainly don't care). His myriad assassins and thieves are quite ineffectual, and I can easily wipe them out, along with the cleric of whatever, using spells/arrows/summons/whatnot. Before fighting, I slapped on every protection my spellcasters have...defensive harmony...prot. from evil..chant...remove fear...even barkskins...various weaker spell turnings and globes of invulnerability/firewalls..yet Mae'Var, and Mae'Var alone always does it. First, his invisibility. I can't dispel it. Viconia w/ True Sight won't do it...is there some kind of maximum distance from him that she has to be to dispel invisibility? With his invisibility and MMM, he starts off with my spellcasters (yes, they have stoneskins), kills them all, then finally moves on to Korgan and ends up meleeing my PC to death, with all his underlings long dead around us..the invis. just won't go away! Any ideas? Some different spells I should use? His invisibility is the only thing preventing me from knocking him off early and cleaning everything else up easily, as opposed to dying horribly. Although there's probably a simple explanation for this..I'm stumped, as for now. I might go off and find other invis-dispelling spells to memorize in the meantime, but an explanation of why the True Sight isn't working would definitely be more satisfying.
2faced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The cheesy thing about Mislead is that the caster cannot become visible until the illusion is destroyed or dispelled. Many Blades, Thief/Mages, and Fighter/Mages have done quite well by exploiting this fact. Improved Mae'Var casts Mislead, and then sends his illusionary image away down the back hall, to keep it from being killed or dispelled. Bastard.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #3
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Also, he uses that pesky Fire-Seed type spell that goes through practically any protection.

Though I suppose there are easy ways to cheese that illusion.

1. Set traps up beforehand.
2. Leave a cleric there to cast Dispel Invisibility/Illusion/True Sight/Whatever

Of course I only consider it cheese if you do this stuff beforehand. During battle, if this were real, this would just be smart.

[ 04-26-2005, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Jerr Conner ]
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
CamDawg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It was a long time ago, but Mae'var may use invisibility combined with spell immunity: divination. Almost every spell that can detect invisible creatures is divination--I believe the only non-divination spell that can make him visible is glitterdust.

[ 04-26-2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: CamDawg ]

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.
CamDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #5
mad=dog

What about the thief skill Detect Illusion? After going through the game with a kensai->thief I can absolutely vouch for it's power.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OH. I get it, a Mislead. I thought he had some kind of Improved Invisibility, and was practically tearing my hair out. I suppose I'll have to cast some major buffs on Korgan, have him drink an oil of speed, and pray he can kill the illusion quickly enough. Thanks. And yeah, mad=dog, I'm playing a human generic archer, which I will dual to a mage. Cheesy, I know, but I'll need it for my very first tactics game, I think.

[ 04-26-2005, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: 2faced ]
Old 04-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
JayS
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
The cheesy thing about Mislead is that the caster cannot become visible until the illusion is destroyed or dispelled. Many Blades, Thief/Mages, and Fighter/Mages have done quite well by exploiting this fact. Improved Mae'Var casts Mislead, and then sends his illusionary image away down the back hall, to keep it from being killed or dispelled. Bastard.
Whenever I fight Mae'var in my games, I summon creatures near the stairs out of sight of Mae'var, and for some reason he always sends his Mislead down to my waiting party, where it quickly dies. I've always thought that this is a bug, but from what you're saying, it seems that the behavior is deliberate?
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #8
2faced
Elite Waterdeep Guard

He's never done this for me, and I've summoned plenty of creatures, believe me. I didn't even know or realize he used Mislead until I was told so...I guess I should have looked at all the opening contingencies more closely.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
mad=dog

Hah. Well apart from Kensai-thief being an exquisite assasin I was merely refering to the thief ability Detect Illusion which I used for these things a lot. Basically I would be buffed and right in the centre of events. Whenever something like this happened (or merely ordinary improved invisibility) I'd switch on Detect Illusion. It'll destroy all illusions and it is _not_ divination. That means the wizards can concentrate on dealing damage and remove protections.
Mea'Var is a thief and cannot to my knowlegde use contingencies. [EDIT: Wrong again. I stand corrected.]

[ 04-27-2005, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: mad=dog ]
Old 04-27-2005, 04:00 AM   #10
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

Mea'Var is a thief/mage
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote