Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-10-2001, 09:47 PM   #11
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A M/P would be awesome on it. Yep they do like the swarms. How far are you into it?
Old 03-11-2001, 12:21 AM   #12
turbovee
Elminster

Cb and I have been goofing around with IWD just to see how it plays compared to BG2 and work out the kinks for when we have a serious multi with our chief thief and say hmmm LoA. I must say that it is much easier to do and it plays a lot better. The linear story lends itself right into a multiplayer without being disratcted by side quests and NPCs. Can't wait to start. I still love my BG2 multi don't get me wrong. there are great things about both games. I miss the sappy dialogue between the NPCs in BG2.

LoA is HOW worth the $30?

------------------
I feel the need, the need for SPEED!
Peace and hair grease
Old 03-11-2001, 02:52 AM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Well, I have to say that I played IWD before starting BG2 and I loved the ability to create a party that was as balanced class-wise as I could make it for the game. I too, liked the linear quality of the story line. Truth be told, I never finished BG 1 because it was too grand a scale and I was too new to the whole concept of crpgs. Now, I love BG2! I like the interaction of pc and npc's. To me, IWD and BG2 are both great games. I'd say it's sort of like comparing apples and oranges. Both are fruits and sweet but they have lots of differences and both are good.

True, in IWD no xp for memorizing a spell or opening a trap, but I don't mind that. I felt that the rise in xp and level in IWD was a little slow, but more realistic too. Spell casting seems faster in IWD.

As turbo said, the game seems to play faster/easier in multi that BG2, but that could be due to the fact that BG2 is enormous!

Multi would be awsome, Charlie, LoA and turbo..assuming you want to of course!
I have HOW, but may not play it before a multi game could start.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Purple Rose of the Black Knight
Old 03-11-2001, 02:59 AM   #14
JJ/newbie

allright, stop allready, I can't stand it, I must go buy the thing so I can do it also.

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-11-2001, 03:05 AM   #15
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

After playing IWD right to the end fight and getting killed 57 times, I kinda grew bored, I would of started again but once you play it through it extal the same, go here talk to him, then go there. mind you Bg was pretty much the same, but at least you deside to do the quest evily.
Old 03-11-2001, 03:17 AM   #16
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

IWD/HOW is all about character development and fine tuning them. Reputation does not seem to be a real big factor in the game either, there are a couple of quests that will lower your reputation, but I have not noticed any that will raise the reputation. Hmmmmmmm......good or evil is not the main emphasis, pure fun hack and slash is the focus of the game, which I think it can be a good thing.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-11-2001, 03:51 AM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I liked the outdoors of BG and the huge city vibe of Amn. I also enjoyed the free range regarding quests etc. If something was too hard, you could leave it for another day and/or go find better NPCs for the task.

I did like the weapons and armour of the Dale though. And the art and the paper dolls. What's with the BG2 paper dolls? yuk?

Both very good, but BG2 was infinitely more replayable.

------------------
FAIR DINKUM!
Old 03-11-2001, 03:59 AM   #18
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Only things I am going to say is that I love both. I IWD, I made my Paladin (Sable) and was waiting to find someone to join the party. Made it about hour til I kept dying. Asked my gaming buddy when he got an NPC in his game. he laughed. Then he pointed . . . tried to articulate words . . . then laughed some more. Finally he just game me the manual (manual, I don't need no stinking manual) and I figured out that you needed to make your ENTIRE party. Hmmmm. Just wanted to share.

BK
Old 03-11-2001, 04:04 AM   #19
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

The only minor complain I have for IWD (and this only occured after BG2) is the fact that IWD don't have specific class kits and dual wield. Everything else is well done, from portraits to voice to music to spell effects to game play.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-11-2001, 04:05 AM   #20
IamOpus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Really enjoy the different ways Bg & BG2 can be played, depending on who's in the party. IWD can't really compare with that aspect, but it does come across as being tighter graphically even if the environments are a bit same-ish. Can't wait for NWN, especially if something I saw about importing chars is true.