Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I saw it at the shop a couple of days ago and I'm surprised no one talked about it yet, I thought the Gothic series was popular, yet I haven't seen any info on it yet.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Luvian, the following is by Flip-Mode who posted this on Overclockers Gaming forum yesterday:

I fired up Gothic 3 today, I set the game to medium quality and resolution of 1024x768 @75Hz and the game is shuddering every few secs.
So I'm looking at the screen and the game doesn't look that well, not well enough to be shuddering so I start checking the forums and googling and behold: a HUGE memory leak, most computers are crashing within 1-2 hours of play.
I ask you how in gods name can they release the game with such a huge bug???
There are few game play bugs as well like the super duper bad ass wolves that kill you in 2 secs.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Most games rarely playable out of the box these days...
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Most games rarely playable out of the box these days...
How right you are. The copy of the post I gave here actually came from Flip-Mode asking why game developers continue to make and release bug infested games. Our conclusion was that it all had to do with $$$ first and worry about the patch later.

We also concluded that the blame falls mainly on the publishers themselves because the bottom line is $. I'm not against anyone making $, not at all, but as you note Luvian most games are rarely playable out of the box these days.

I mean think about it: A HUGE memory leak and quality control didn't pick up on this bug? Hopefully by the U.S. release of Gothic 3 they will have patches ready. I really want this game to work. The RPG market, with the exception of Oblivion, has been mighty poor.

Now what concerns me is A) NWN 2 is about to be shipped by B) Atari the publisher who is C) In severe financial straights which has me D) Suspicious on the bug free game department. It should be intresting say around November 4.

[ 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

The game is as crap-tastic as I expected:
Very

I never had high hopes for this game, I loved the originals but knew that number 3 was going to suck.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Game freezes a bit quite frequently. I dunno about the huge memory leak crashing the game after 1-2 hours; the game has crashed once so far, and I've played an awful lot... and not on an awfully good comp, really :\

And there's the thing about animals being crazy dangerous, because of their attack-speed. That seems way off, but I'm still gonna throw a "Learn to play" in the face of anyone bringing that up as "Impossible to kill boars that kill you in 3 secs"; it's not really *that* hard to kill them, without taking any damage.

So, uh, I dunno, I'm pretty much able to forgive them bugs/annoyances, but probably wouldn't be if I had the frequent crashing problem. Anyways, other than those things, I think it's pretty great :|

[ 10-24-2006, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Gnarf ]
Old 10-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Gnarf, foryou, what has been good about the game? Does it meet the hype?

Also, from another player over at AnandTech:

this game is freaking aewsome...i have to admit i never played oblivion (because i i thought my system is too old for it)...so i only saw someone playing it many times and cant compare it to oblivion.

But Gothic 3 is awesome, i tweaked my XP system down a LOT....eg. i only have 5 or so of the most essential services running and disabled EVERYTHING, viruschecker, mbm5 etc...which gives me roughly 820 MB free ram upon booting in XP ! Mind you i only have 1GB of Ram !!

I play on medium but "object details" on high....and there are SOME occasional stutters....but its very well playable. Mind you 1GB is the MINIMUM required to play it.

Awesome how you can just walk around in the wildernis...and right now i am on hunt around Cape Dun. Everything is life-like....eg. deer runs away from you...or you see wolf fighting deer etc...i am VERY impressed. Day/Night cycles....Rain....and i only saw a FRACTION of the game since i am still in a very early stage.

VERY GOOD RPG-feel to it.

I wish i had 2GB of ram and a better gfx card than my old X850XT...but as said its definitly playable .

HIGHLY recommended....but if you want it - DO get at least 2GB memory total..or tweak your system EXTREMELY if you only have 1GB.

Edit: It looks GOOD already....i dont even DARE to wonder how it might look with a super-high-end card (X1900XT and up)...or R600 when it comes out...and then use chuck-patch driver AND use ANTIALIASING and (now the kicker)...ADAPTIVE ANTIALIASING......i think i would **** my pants !!!

[ 10-24-2006, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Albromor ]
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well I have what most would call a top of the line system (X6800 Intel, 2x x1950xtx's,4 gig of giel high performance ram, gigabyte I-RAM for windows and raptors for games-yes im bragging ) and I will admit that the game looks good, but just as with Oblivion, the graphics can only do so much, and the gameplay is boring and too "Morriwndy"

I am hoping though that just like with Oblivion, that user mods will com out and make the game a bit more exciting [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Link to a good write-up on Gothic 3: http://www.tgsn.co.uk/rvw86pc.php
Old 10-25-2006, 01:46 PM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

My brother got it but he doesn't play it since it lag a little too much on his computer and he's busy playing other games, so I borrowed it, I'll give it a try as soon as I get some free time.