Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Which do you prefer and why?

My vote goes for a Sorcerer. I like carefully selecting spells and being able to cast them all the time. I don't like worrying about scribing spells and relying on luck to find the right spells.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Depends - if you need a "skills" type in your group the Wizard is a better choice. If you need a talker then a Sorcerer comes in quite handy. Both are solid IMO for the right party.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I like a sorcerer's power, but I always want the versatility of a general mage. However, since I usually have 3-4 arcane casters per party, I always take one mage and the rest sorcerers.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

Wizard: variety
Sorcerer: frequency
That's all you need to know.
False! you also need to know that wizards gain more feats.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Redcodekevin:
Wizard: variety
Sorcerer: frequency
That's all you need to know.
False! you also need to know that wizards gain more feats.
True, a wizard gets bonus feats. However, I never notice much of a difference unless I am using a fighting mage, such as my favorite ranger/pally/rogue/mage, in which having bonus feats for weapon finesse and such is nice.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Well also in this game, the CHA stat can be boosted via spell and INT can't, so Sorcs get the advantage of being harder to resist becasue their prime stat will be higher than a Wizard's. I believe at high levels, where Eagle's Splendor lasts > 8 hours it will even grant bonus spells after resting. The Wizard does get the bonus feats and that somewhat compensates (can use them on SF/GSF).
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #7
Redcodekevin
Dungeon Master

True, Marty4 and Gimli, a eagle splendored sorcerer with GSF in any school is indeed hard to resist. Don't get me wrong, I usually take sorcerers because they're strong casters and good talkers, above the extra feats.