Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-23-2003, 05:15 AM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I'm new to 3rd ed D&D, but not to RPG. I've completed the entire NG & IWD series including expansions. Here's what Ive decided on so far for my IWD2 party:

Barbarian - main tank, pack mule
Cleric - healer, secondary tank
Sorceror - offensive artillery, diplomat, party spokesperson
Wizard - seconadry spellcaster, alchemist/loremaster

Need some suggestions for the last 2 slots. I want a detrapper & lock picker, and scout for #5. I haven't decided on #6, but perhaps another fighter with some spellcasting abilites, or a magekiller?

Suggestions & comment welcome.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:20 AM   #2
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Get a rogue, they're good archers as well as scouts and lockpickers/trapdisablers. Maybe multiclass with ranger so you have some more archering usefulness... Their skills mostly stack
Old 10-23-2003, 07:59 AM   #3
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thank you.
So #5 - rogue/ranger mc. Just a few levels in rogue & most in ranger, I would think.

I wonder about #6... [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would go for a pure tank for #6 - a paladin or a dwarven fighter. The barbarian's inability to use heavy armor is a liability in my mind, and you will want someone who is better able to resist damage. In fact, I would dump the barbarian and replace it with a paladin and then add the dwarven fighter.

Personally, if you are going for multiple spellcasters, I would swap out the sorceror for a druid! Druids have some great spells and can be used as a secondary tank if necessary in some situations.

Also, if you are looking for simple scouting abilities, consider only taking a couple of ranger levels and focus on the rogue sides. Those 1d6 damage bonuses start to really add up at high levels!

One additional tip: If you are planning on going to Heart of Fury mode with your party, you are going to want to have a LOT of spellcasting and summoning ability. Adding the Paladin gives you some good defensive spells, while the druid gives you a great mix of offensive, defensive AND summoning spells. In addition, don't forget to add points in the Use Magic Device skill for the rogue, and you'll get a bonus spellcaster. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:22 AM   #5
Magness
Quintesson

Hayashi, for slot #5, I'd suggest either a ranger/rogue MC or a fighter/rogue MC. Both are excellent multiclass combos. I prefer about a rogue 10/ranger or fighter 6 mix. The ranger/rogue combo will be a little better when it comes to skills while the fighter/rogue combo will be better when it comes to feats.

A couple more points about the ranger/rogue combo. One, taking that first level of ranger gives you the free dual wielding, which is a nice thing for a rogue. Two, unless you intend on taking boatload of ranger levels, forget about ranger spellcasting. You won't have enough levels to get any decent ranger spellcasting.

For slot #6, I'd suggest another warrior, either another tank or perhaps a pure ranger. Another tank (paladin or fighter) will strengthen your party's melee capability. Having a pure ranger to team up with your rogue can be a great addition to the party. A 2 person scouting team can be very powerful and very dangerous on search and destroy missions.

Micah, I've play a party with a Sorc and a Wizzy. It can work out just fine. I've never played a druid in IWD2 (IWD1, yes, but not IWD2). However, I can agree that druids are probably excellent summoners, particularly in HOF. I played a pure ranger in a party thru Normal then HOF mode and he was a solid summoner in his own right. I have to imagine that a Druid would be even better in that regard. Animal summons are surprisingly excellent allies in HOF.

BTW, Hayashi, what kind of cleric are you thinking about? And what is the general alignment of your party?
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Thanks for all your replies, some food for thought.

I'm decided on the barbarian as it's one class I've never played before in any of the other games (BG1/BG2/IWD1). I've played paladins to death. Unless there's a cool pally-only weapon in the game?

So as it stands now the party is:

Barbarian - main tank, pack mule
Cleric - healer, secondary tank
Sorceror - offensive artillery, diplomat, party spokesperson
Wizard - secondary spellcaster, alchemist/loremaster
Ranger/Rogue - detrapper, lockpicker, scout
Pure fighter - main tank, pack mule

Magness,
Cleric will probably take Tempus as domain.
General party alignment - I've not thought about it, does it matter? I tend to have parties leaning towards the good side, but I intend to have an evil character or two in my party.

As for my ranger/rogue, what I really want is for just enough skills to be able to open locks and detrap; so I'm thinking a rouge 1/ranger x combo, just to get the skill points at 1st rogue level, then concentrate on the ranger.

What do you think?
Old 10-24-2003, 04:51 AM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Ok, after some thought & research, here's what I think I'll create:
NB: CON & DEX set as high as points allow for all members

Human Barbarian
===============
STR-based fighter, DEX 12, low INT & CHA, Ave WIS, CON as high as points allow

Shield Dwarf Fighter
====================
Another STR-based fighter, stats similar to barb

These are the main tanks (melee fighters)

Aasimar Cleric of Tempus
========================
High WIS, mid-high CHA (for turning undead); mid-high STR; ave INT (10)
Primary healer

Moon Elf Fighter 1/Wizard X
===========================
Fighter build to gain HPs and initial weapon proficiencies, then MC to wizard. High INT, Dex, CON (12 min) low CHA
Loremaster, alchemist, generalist spellcaster

Wild Elf Fighter 1/Socreror X
=============================
High CHA, DEX, CON (12); ave STR, INT, low WIS
Offensive spellcaster, diplomat, trader

Lightfoot Halfling Ranger 1/Rogue X
===================================
High DEX, CON, ave STR, low CHA, WIS
1 level of ranger to get 2 weapon feats, thereafter MC to rogue
Lockpicker, etc, scout, mage killer

There - 1st draft done. Any suggestions on how to improve?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #8
Magness
Quintesson

Hayashi, that's a good looking party.

Personally, I don't really see the point in taking that 1 fighter level with your mages. Yes, I realize that you said that it's for the HP and the weapons profs. But I don't really see that as being all that big a deal and just doesn't seem worth giving up 1 level of spellcasting goodness off the top (so to speak) of your mage.

Also, you've got me a bit confused with the ranger/rogue. In your previous post, you say that you want to build a rogue 1/ranger X. But in this post, you talk about a ranger 1/rogue X. IMHO, 1 level of rogue really doesn't provide enough thieving skills to be useful deeper into the game. OTOH, a ranger 1/rogue X will get you the nice ranger virtual dual wielding, which is very nice for a rogue. BTW, don't forget to take the Weapon Finesse feat so that you can use your higher DEX instead of your STR for melee attack rolls. Also, BTW, I always suggest starting any rogue MC combo with the rogue class to get the initial burst of skill points (IIRC, you get 4x the standard number of SP/level at character creation).

I've also noticed that both of your mages are elves. This should be good for ranged combat, when you're not casting spells, since elves get 1 point in Bow just for being elves.

Another point on your mages. Have your wizard and sorceror focus on different spells. Wizards tend to be excellent generalists since they can memorize so many spells, while sorcerors tend to be more focused due to thier limited number of spells. In a party with a sorc and a wizzy, the sorcs tend to make great nukers, specializing in mostly attack spells, while the wizards are great for buffing and summoning, with a little nuking on the side. A wizzy-sorc duo can make a very potent spellacasting combo in a party.

Regarding general party alignment, I was only asking out of curiosity.

Good luck!

[ 10-24-2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: Magness ]
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Just one thing: with sorcerer as your spokesperson it means he'll be always in front. thats why I always have tanks as my spokespersons.... unless you know some way to solve this i.e keep weak spokesperson not in the frontlines in the battles... in that case i would be glad to hear it... (note: i use mostly the default formation... but spokesperson is in the fron in all formations AFAIK)

Also consider:
Monk in place of dwarf...
bard (or even better druid) in place of fighter/mage
Old 10-24-2003, 10:39 AM   #10
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Magness:
Also, you've got me a bit confused with the ranger/rogue. In your previous post, you say that you want to build a rogue 1/ranger X. But in this post, you talk about a ranger 1/rogue X. IMHO, 1 level of rogue really doesn't provide enough thieving skills to be useful deeper into the game. OTOH, a ranger 1/rogue X will get you the nice ranger virtual dual wielding, which is very nice for a rogue. BTW, don't forget to take the Weapon Finesse feat so that you can use your higher DEX instead of your STR for melee attack rolls. Also, BTW, I always suggest starting any rogue MC combo with the rogue class to get the initial burst of skill points (IIRC, you get 4x the standard number of SP/level at character creation).

I've also noticed that both of your mages are elves. This should be good for ranged combat, when you're not casting spells, since elves get 1 point in Bow just for being elves.

Another point on your mages. Have your wizard and sorceror focus on different spells. Wizards tend to be excellent generalists since they can memorize so many spells, while sorcerors tend to be more focused due to thier limited number of spells. In a party with a sorc and a wizzy, the sorcs tend to make great nukers, specializing in mostly attack spells, while the wizards are great for buffing and summoning, with a little nuking on the side. A wizzy-sorc duo can make a very potent spellacasting combo in a party.
Good luck!
Magness
Thank you for your suggestions & tips. Yes, ranger 1/rogue X is what I've finally decided.

ZFR
The sorc won't fill the #1 slot. When it comes to conversation I'll just pick his portrait (which is what I did for BG2 - my char was a ranger; Minsc & Keldorn were in #1 & #2 slots).