Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey guys, anyone managed this yet, i started at level 1 with a fighter mage cleric and am now in dragons eye level 1. I found this the hardest right at the start, killin bug etc when you have a thaco of 20 is hard, the goblins south of easthaven were a headache, but all seems well now.
Not lookin forward to the final boss, the instant dispell spell at the start and the dispell traps should make things difficult, although santuary should allow me to rebless -
I chose my class without much thought, now i realise the cleric was a good choice as i have high level spells early in the game, summon skele is probably the most useful spell to have, i got it before entering the orc cave in east haven.
Main problem i found was the inability to force attack with one character, it may be classed as foul play but i had to create another character just to force the door of the hut with the wolf - then deleted him.

Anyway any advice would be great - not lookin forward to tryin to get through the trial of the luremaster on heart of fury.

l8r

rob
RoobokWebak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yes, I did this and I used the same class. The luremaster was actually not that bad as by the time you get there you are at a high level with a very powerful cleric. Just remember Sanctuary is your friend. Starting is the hardest and it took me forever to clear out the orc caves at the beginning and involves lots of running to town to rest. It was kill an orc or possibly two if you are lucky run back to town rest repeat, rinse wash dry lots of this throughout the game but it is most painful in the orc caves as you are still a twerp. I did not bother with the wolf as I could not get the door open. Other than that everything else is achievable. Use spell combos, summons, and whatever tools you have at your disposal and remember santuary is your friend.

[ 06-27-2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Welcome!

You can force attack with only one character. You have to click on the quick weapon icon again (after clicking once to select).

Now, what you cant do with a single character only is the stop command.

Good luck with your game.

-ZFR
Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The worst thing about starting mages in HoF from the beginning is the lack of spells available. However, do a search for "Auril's Bane" and download that; there is another merchant who sells scrolls in Griselda's tavern. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

It is possible to earn more than 20k xp before encountering the goblins, so at least you can earn some hp and that all-important Animate Dead spell. For the door to Aspel's store with no thief in the party, try bashing or Knock.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:56 AM   #5
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

hey!

nice to see another soloing experience posted here.
i tried to solo as a F/M/T. i had reached malavon's palace when i had to put my game on hold. i hope to take it up soon.

anyways, i consider skeletons as cheap fodder. sure they stand up better against enemies who wield slashing weapons but i loved the time i got hold of the elemental summons scrolls. then i'd just conjure 5 fire elementals who'd clear the opposition for me. they are especially effective against snow creatures eg: trolls and frost salamanders. later in lower dorn's deep too where the other elementals are vulnerable to fire damage from the fire salamanders, the fire elementals dished out crushing damage while being resistant to fire. its even better if you cast haste on them.

but all this was on insane and not on heart of fury.

all the best and keep posting...
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

cool - thanks i didnt know about that force attack - that wolf is essential as well as the goblins etc because santuary + 6 skele make the orc cave much easier, although finding a place to cast skeles is hard as the orcs seem to follow you when you are in sanctuary-its a case of run to one side until they follow, then run back to the start and summon them there. also why retun to the village to rest- just go outside the cave to kip.
i tried with a figher/ mage/theif and got far, but the final battle was too hard as i was relying on summons and tensers transformationto get past most difficult fights- the dispel at the begining of the battle screwed me as i didnt have enough time to cast the multitude of spells which gained me - 24 ac.

also can anyone explain why my ac was capped at -24, i would get there using blur etc then i would use the shield gained in HOW from the dwarf who fixes it - which give a bonus of +3 i think, yet my ac wont go past -24 with the f/m/t.

Also i cant seem to use any level 8 or 9 mage spells which is annoying as i wanted some good summon monsters and am stuck with shadowed lizard men, this includes the new ones on HOW- im hopin this might be different with a f/m/c

my main hope for this character is thatby begining the final battle with shield of lanthanda (or what ever its called) i should be immune to all magic, therefore the dispel at the start? well see.
also if not i can use santuary to hide and cast a few cleric spells, although not haste - but knowing the programmers those big demons that come with the iron giants will see through the santuary like bronze senturys.

Anyway ill post as i get further - on dragon eye lvl 1 still - havent played much lately.

l8r
Old 06-29-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

you'll have a much more fun time once you get into the higher levels. alot more choices, tactics, and spells for the taking.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm back again, still in dragons eye- now level 3. spent a long time fighting all the trolls etc on lvl 2 and now am pounding into the cold wights, although these guys arent to hard on HOF mode either - my skeles cant hit them and dont last very long against any opponent anymore. Im not lookin for to fightin yxonomie- on HOF mode you get 3 mages who creep up behind you with stone skin on and cast dispel and other annoyancies, think i migt tackle them with miscast magic and my 'giving star'. there are a lot of tactics to use, but i know that fight will be hard as i cant run away to regroup or rest, and my skeles will last about 2 seconds against any monster in there.

anyone who has don this with 1 character in HOF miht wanna give any advice they have.

inabit

Rob
Old 07-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #9
Serak Moonblade
Manshoon

Smiley

hope this helps you...

i've defeated yxunomei at insane wherein 3 mages appear from behind you ( itried closing the door behind me but to no avail!). i tried using summons but they were no help. before yxunomei sees you. cast web and grease at the doorway so as to prevent the mages from sneaking up on me. then i used confusion (or a spell with a similar but area of effect) to put the 3 clerics behind yxunomei temporarily out of action. if you have one more of the same spells use it on the archers north of yxunomei. my advice is not to rush her but try to disarm the traps if you can. otherwise avoid them. while enemy summons appear around you, ignore them and try to eliminate the yuan-ti clerics and archers with well-placed fireballs. by this time, the tanari'i herself will have cast all her buffung spells and will charge you. it goes without saying that you must be properly buffed before hand. kill her and then attack the mages who should be stuck in the web behind you.

all this can be accomplished within the duration of one haste spell. actually the spell should run out either just before or during the encounter with the mages. you'll need it essentially for yxunomei for which it won't let you down.

this was a really memorable fight and i had to force myself to not decrease the difficulty level.

enjoy!
Either learn or leave
Serak Moonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
RoobokWebak
Elite Waterdeep Guard

how do you disarm traps with a fighter/mage/cleric? i thought you can only see them with detect traps and only disarm with a theif