Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

I read this unbelievable article in today's newspaper in Holland. It was about a proposal for a new law in America, which had been accepted by the Senate. The proposal said that America should allowed to invade (yes, you're reading it right!!) the Netherlands (to be more specific: the International Court of Justice in The Hague) in order to free any Americans which were put in prison there, for committing war crimes. I quote from the newspaper (sue me for translating it wrongly ):

Quote:

Law for invasion in the Netherlands

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (ANP) - The American Senate has approved on a new law proposal which allowes an invasion in Holland under certain conditions
The Americans take an invasion into account to free American prisoners in The Hague. Those prisoners would then be held in the International Court of Justice, which will be established in the Hague, on suspicion of warcrimes.
According to a spokesman of the international organisation which wants to erect the International Court of Justice the US are trying to undermine the International Court of Justice with this new law. The US are strongly against the court and besides diplomatic pressure they could also use financial support to put pressure on other countries who are in favour of the International Court of Justice.
I mean: this is ridiculous, right? Or am I the only one who thinks that America really is going too far? Am I right in believing that I am living in a democratic, and more specific a FREE country? What gives America the right to invade another country, whatever the 'certain conditions' may be for them to do that? This really makes me question their motives in helping other countries. Perhaps we are all considered terrorists...

[ 06-08-2002, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Link ]

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 06-08-2002, 02:48 PM   #2
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Link, I agree with you. Lots. What right do they have?
Old 06-08-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It is the most stupid thing i have ever read!

Quote:
The US are strongly against the court and besides diplomatic pressure they could also use financial support to put pressure on other countries who are in favour of the International Court of Justice.
I dont think the US will do something like that if it is not against their nationale safety matter! So i don`t think you people from the Holland have anything to be afraid of from US!

Quote:
allowes an invasion in Holland under certain conditions
Read that above i can maby tolerate if Holland held i warcrime guy in prison that US will have a word with if he or them have done any wery damage thing to US and the court dont want to release them to US for some talks!!

[ 06-08-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 06-08-2002, 02:51 PM   #4
uss
20th Level Warrior

im with you, Link.
America should not invade another country because of what happened in the past.
you know, Germany is in a living hell. Germans have to pay lotssa cash to jews thanks to Hitlers personal hate against them.
Old 06-08-2002, 02:55 PM   #5
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
I dont think the US will do something like that if it is not against their nationale safety matter! So i don`t think you people from the Holland have anything to be afraid of from US!
Well.. I disagree with that. I believe America IS in fact capable of doing that. When I was young I might have believed that they wouldn't, but I'm almost reaching maturity (yeah, ALMOST!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and now I'm not so sure about whether or not the US would do such things...

Goal: Beijing 2008
Old 06-08-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
Dramnek_Ulk

This proposal is stupid and shows a disturbing lack of grasp of reality.
But of course the reason why America stands against an international court of justice, is because of all the crimes American nationals have committed.
For example to name but one, Henry Kissenger deserves to be tried for his subverting of democracy.
And of course those behind Propping up the Middle East dictatorships in exchange for not openly moving against Israel,
The list of crimes and hypocrisies of U.S nationals and Goverments is simply endless,
And having it’s nationals tried and exposing to the world the gross crimes the U.S government have committed would be an international humiliation, and the U.S government doesn’t want to be exposed in a court of law, for the hypocrites they are.

[ 06-08-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]

Old 06-08-2002, 03:05 PM   #7
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
but I'm almost reaching maturity (yeah, ALMOST!! [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) and now I'm not so sure about whether or not the US would do such things... [/QB]
Heh,
There isn’t nothing so stupid the U.S government won’t try it. Just look at the so-called bush doctrine rubbish they spout now about the right to engage in international acts of aggression.
It’s truly a sad state the world has reached today.

Old 06-08-2002, 03:08 PM   #8
MagiK

Before everyone gets their panties all in a knot, lets wait till the claim is verified shall we? I haven't seen anything official on this yet, and also remember that there are some serious nut jobs in the senate..who PROPOSE a lot of stupid things. Fortunatley there are a lot of other senators who can shoot stupid ideas down. Not to mention the House of Representatives would then have to pass it and THEN the president would also have to agree, after wich the Judicial branch would have to examine it for legality. So in short...relax this will only hurt for a moment [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2002, 03:14 PM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I'm not buying this for a second. Just a hoax if you ask me. Would the US risk WWIII by attacking another NATO country just to free a couple of criminals?!

[ 04-10-2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 06-08-2002, 03:17 PM   #10
Lord Shield

well - hopefully the rest of the Senate have not lost their brains - doubt it'll come into place