Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 10:47 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Listen everybody can we all take a step back for a minute?
I have noticed as have many in the last few months that this board is going downhill from humour to all serious. Now for those like Dio who thrive on serious discussion this is all fine. But even you need a break from this Dio, no? Frankly I am sick of hearing about how someone has offened someone else and how that person flamed someone and blah blah blah. Its all shit.
Everyones tempers have been flaring around here and its time to stop!
Its gone to far and I am seeing people who I count friends on this board leave or not post because it has become too dark and gloomy around here. This has made me very pissed off and I dont care for excuses about how the board is changing. This board has always been known for being caring about others, now it seems to scare them away! Have you no fuckin clue?
Almost everyday I am hearing about something else bad happening here and how can you say that kind of change is better than what used to be a very rare occurance. Take a break from all this please!!
Now I might be offending some people with this post but I am fed up with seeing people leaving from here and it needs to be brought to a halt.
Can everyone not agree to at least take a week long break from serious discussions at least to let tempers die down and rational thought to come to the forefront again???
It has been going on too bloody long.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Overlord of all that I behold and anything that i happen to not notice either.

Founding Hamlet of the HADB.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:51 PM   #2
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Well said and about time some one did!
Old 10-09-2001, 10:53 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Azure.... down boy! It's ok!

I sincerely believe things will calm down soon. The board picks up activity when things like a war break out, it's only natural. I do agree that petty name calling and intentional baiting and antagonizing should halt at once. We at Ironworks have never tolerated them before and I always liked the way we could disagree but not hurt one another. But I see this as a short-lived thing and expect our usual MIX of good humor and honest debate/discussion coming back in a little while.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-09-2001, 10:56 PM   #4
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I have to say I agree with you Azure. I try to read the serious threads, but more often than not they degenerate into Dio vs Yorick with assorted support for each side, essentially arguing the same point in every thread. What they're saying is interesting and relevant, but IMHO is getting somewhat monotonous and often results in people losing their tempers. I don't know if we have to take a break from serious discussion, but it seems like there are about six or seven threads about the same general topic where there could be one or two.

------------------

Goddess of Undress
Co-owner of the Evil Petting Zoo and Sorceress of the HADB
OLD COOTS eye candy and Disrobed Division of the ORT
And her sidekick Pink

"High hopes...an endless river...forever and ever"
Old 10-09-2001, 10:58 PM   #5
G'kar

I respect your desire not to engage in serious debates. But other folks want to engage in discourse about "serious topics". I am one of them and I deserve respect as much as the next one.

I dont understand why people wont just pass by a topic that they dont wanna engage in? I'd be shot down in flames if I complained about shallow humor posts. ( which I enjoy reading anyway) Diversity is the spice of life, and serious topics are relevant to some people. To each their own.

Anyway, I posted something concerning this in the contuation of "how do you like us now" thread. I will speak freely about what I want, in accordance with the guidelines set by the Forums great benefactor.

Old 10-09-2001, 10:59 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

We need a separate forum for "Serious Discussions".

When the forum upgrade occurs, maybe we can rally for a Serious Discussions forum then. We need a place where these kind of heated debates can thrive and not upset other members who aren't interested in those types of discussions.

------------------
Old 10-09-2001, 11:04 PM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
I respect your desire not to engage in serious debates. But other folks want to engage in discourse about "serious topics". I am one of them and I deserve respect as much as the next one.

I dont understand why people wont just pass by a topic that they dont wanna engage in? I'd be shot down in flames if I complained about shallow humor posts. ( which I enjoy reading anyway) Diversity is the spice of life, and serious topics are relevant to some people. To each their own.

Anyway, I posted something concerning this in the contuation of "how do you like us now" thread. I will speak freely about what I want, in accordance with the guidelines set by the Forums great benefactor.
I think you misunderstand my point. I am not saying you shouldnt be able to post about serious stuff, Im just saying that the serious stuff is getting out of hand. It seems if alot of people stick their heads in to say something it gets bitten off. And that is the prevailant attitude here at the moment. See what I mean tho, you took offense from my post when none was intended. I was just trying to ask people to calm their tempers down a bit and takea bit of a break. I wasnt saying you shouldnt post about serious discussions. You took more from my post than I said.

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."

Old 10-09-2001, 11:09 PM   #8
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:

G'kar I fully desire to take part in serious debates on this site but with all due respeact to those who taking part all I see is the same old arguments comming up again and again yet nothing get resolved as neither party buge from the position that they are right and the other side is incorrect.
Now Azure is not saying that the so called debates are wrong He is saying as I understand it that they become lets debates and more attacks on the beilefs or thought of the other person because they disagree with the others point of view, which is against the ideals of this site! And he suggest that everyone stop these mockaries for a while so everyone carms down and they can be approched and handled in a civilalsed manner.

------------------
Opinions are not clubs don't beat others with yours.

[This message has been edited by Sir Real (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 11:13 PM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Real:
G'kar I fully desire to take part in serious debates on this site but with all due respeact to those who taking part all I see is the same old arguments comming up again and again yet nothing get resolved as neither party buge from the position that they are right and the other side is incorrect.
Now Azure is not saying that the so called debates are wrong He is saying as I understand it that they become lets debates and more attacks on the beilefs or thought of the other person because they disagree with the others point of view, which is against the ideals of this site! And he suggest that everyone stop these mockaries for a while so everyone carms down and they can be approched and handled in a civilalsed manner.

You summed it up beautifully
thanx

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 11:18 PM   #10
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
I think you misunderstand my point. I am not saying you shouldnt be able to post about serious stuff, Im just saying that the serious stuff is getting out of hand. It seems if alot of people stick their heads in to say something it gets bitten off. And that is the prevailant attitude here at the moment. See what I mean tho, you took offense from my post when none was intended. I was just trying to ask people to calm their tempers down a bit and takea bit of a break. I wasnt saying you shouldnt post about serious discussions. You took more from my post than I said.

Believe me, I not upset at all, nor did I take any offense. I see where you are coming from too. I understand that people will disagree, and that tempers and misunderstandings may arise. We can become better from them though, by resolving our conflicts and affirming respect and dignity. Like I said before, Ive seen a few people grow a little bit closer after a disagreement. Cant really comment much about people who arent humble enough to back down if they are confronted with their own disrespect or egotism, human failings I guess. I'm becoming more inclined to ignore that sort of behavior myself. It worked for my younger siblings after all
I can see a place for seperate forums for debates, but I also see there place in the G.D. forum as well.

Hey I will do my best not to feed the fires you speak of, but if someone doesnt flame, but belittles or disrespects another, Its my conscience that tells me to stand up, so I am inclined to. Im sorry if that offends you