Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 05:54 PM   #31
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

shaddap newbeez, when oldbees like me iz talking, all little beez shoulda ztop and make a listen, gotit? now thiz iz life rulze numba wan az yuo should alwayz remembeer lik Rikard did...

LOL, dude, watch if Memnoch will step in and warn me if I tell you that you newbies suck... well, truth are always weighty, huh?

did I insult you? sorry if I did, but this is NOT about new vs old. it is about a friendly attitude here!! after all, it'd be no fun for me if everyone is meanie like Sazarc... **runs away really fast**

P.S. the reason why I picked Sazarc is because I've basically poked everyone today... time for you, my most trusted buddy!!

[This message has been edited by 250 (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 05:56 PM   #32
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Or because they are innundated and can't stand it anymore? Or the posts made, finally irritate or upset them enough to post back?

Just another perspective, and one that should be considered.

I for one, am off to find fun or UNpolitical social threads.. or make a few.. see you out there, Neb, Moiraine, and anyone else who cares to SMILE today!

Cloudy

If I am not interested in a particular type of thread or topic, I find the solution quite easy -- DONT READ IT. I don't sit around complaining about the types of threads that others are interested in.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:59 PM   #33
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

As a reminder Cloudy, when we were debating a short while ago you were vehmently opposed to the idea of a separate board for more serious discussions. You insisted that they remain on the General Discussions board, sot that everyone could see them. Just a reminder.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:59 PM   #34
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
that if you do not like the present state of the board then post the topics you would like to see discussed.
Sadly often people do and the threads die through lack of interest, things will only be discussed if there are sufficient interested parties. IMHO the feel of the board is really which threads/topics are popular if one doesn't share interests with the majority one may have a hard time, just my 2 penenth.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 10-09-2001, 06:02 PM   #35
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Sadly often people do and the threads die through lack of interest, things will only be discussed if there are sufficient interested parties. IMHO the feel of the board is really which threads/topics are popular if one doesn't share interests with the majority one may have a hard time, just my 2 penenth.

I fail to understand your point. Think about what you are saying. If in fact certain threads die through lack of interest, than what is the problem? Obviously people weren't interested in it, eh?
Old 10-09-2001, 06:02 PM   #36
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

**sigh**

I don't think Dio intended to insult the older members. I think the point is that the complaints about how the board does not feel the same, can be construed as complaints about the newer members. Obviously a changed atmosphere is brought about by a change in members. I don't think anyone has the right to complain about the feel of a 'public' forum such as this, where everyone has the right to discuss what they wish and all opinions and ideas are respected (and if someone does not respect another's opinion, then those people are not welcome).

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-09-2001, 06:04 PM   #37
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
**sigh**

I don't think Dio intended to insult the older members. I think the point is that the complaints about how the board does not feel the same, can be construed as complaints about the newer members. Obviously a changed atmosphere is brought about by a change in members. I don't think anyone has the right to complain about the feel of a 'public' forum such as this, where everyone has the right to discuss what they wish and all opinions and ideas are respected (and if someone does not respect another's opinion, then those people are not welcome).

Exactly. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:07 PM   #38
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
I've been lurking for the past week or so, doing a lot of reading on this forum, and what I see troubles me. I've been reading regularly on this forum for over a year, and the last month or two has seen some big, and in my view, unwelcome, changes.
First, politics and religion are taking center stage. In general discussions these two things have always been around, but not to the extent they are now. And certainly not in the vitriolic vein that is prevalent of late. We have had many lengthy debates and discussions on both subjects, and these have been fruitful and civil. recently, I'm seeing a lot more tempers flaring and otherwise reasonable people becoming terse and nasty.
Second, it seems that many of the long-term board contributors are disappearing or taking long absences. I get the gut feeling that this relates directly to my first observation. Fact is, it's a good part of why I've been quieter than usual lately, I just don't see the point in getting into an argument with my friends.
There are reasons enough for people to be uptight and unhappy in the twenty-first century, and especially in the last month. Worldwide events that have touched, and will continue to touch, every single one of us. I've always looked at this board as a sort of borderless meeting place, without a given nationality or religion, where we can meet to talk and share and play. It saddens me to see that eroding, to see political and religious lines forming, dividing people who were happily jesting with each other just a fortnight ago.
Not that all is dark and dreary at Ironworks, not at all. The clans and story threads are great, there are still people posting jokes and just sharing stories from their lives. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone stop having opinions or sharing their viewpoints, but I would ask you all to consider what you are saying before you post. Ironworks is, was, and will be the community that we make it. Please consider if what you are doing is contributing to the community that you want to be a part of.
Thanks for listening.

< MOD ROLE OFF >

Absynthe, I know exactly how you feel. I personally am bored beyond relief with both politics and religion, and the board is dominated by both topics now. The worst part is, as a moderator, I have to read through the controversial threads to make sure no one is cyber-"killing" anyone with their posts. By the time I get through them all, I'm so bored and depressed that I just want to go off somewhere and forget IW even exists. So I've not been posting much lately on my own, and have been doing a lot of gaming lately to ease my stress (just beat IWD a few minutes ago, YEAAAAHHH!!! )

In answer to the questions posed in this thread, A) No, Gen Con is NOT the board it was back in the spring when I first came in, B) Yes, we have lost several members since that time, some by natural "moving on" related situations, others that left out of ignomony or because of the trends the board was taking, C) Sept 11 is the "Betamax" moment (freeze the video to look for the incident) in which the tone of Gen Con changed, IMO, from a happy, friendly board to one in which there has been a great deal of stress and anger and, frankly people, a considerable lack of respect for others' viewpoints and beliefs.

A month has not even passed since then, and to date since Sept. 11, we have had to close a total of 22 threads, and have had 3 separate bannings. Is this a healthy atmosphere?

Every so often I see something on here that makes me laugh (I can always count on 250 for that!) or something I feel I can contribute to, but lately, most of the time when I come into Gen Con I feel like I'm walking through a swamp.

It is depressing. And every time, it kills me a little more on the inside.

< MOD ROLE ON >

------------------
Old 10-09-2001, 06:09 PM   #39
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:

I fail to understand your point. Think about what you are saying. If in fact certain threads die through lack of interest, than what is the problem? Obviously people weren't interested in it, eh?
so therefore if one doesn't share the interests now (and at one time one did) Who has the problem? The threads for not being of interest or the individual not finding them of interest?

Therefore if the two are now incomaptible, people will feel that this is no longer the place for them.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 10-09-2001, 06:12 PM   #40
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Every so often I see something on here that makes me laugh (I can always count on 250 for that!)

It is depressing. And every time, it kills me a little more on the inside.

< MOD ROLE ON >

rides do go rough sometime, we just have to hang on real tight...

and believe me, I understand what you meant by "it kills me a little more on the inside" as everytime I take another zip on crack... argghhhh... the feeling **an expression of highness**

just kidding yo... I seriously hate that feeling...