Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 05:07 PM   #21
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Sorry Seph, but what is funny about Dio's post? You said that it wasn't as funny as the terrorist post, I haven't read the terrorist post, so haven't a clue about that, just wondering why you thought the above was funny at all?? (Didn't mean to jump down your throat..... :begpardon:

There are some humerous parts of the article, afterall it is written by a 'humor' newspaper. While the entire article is trying to convey a serious point, it does so IMHO, in a good way, lightheartedly. Sometimes a little satire and humor gets the point across a lot better! I did however find the last sentence quite out of the ordinary for an Onion article, which shows that even humor cannot remove all of our pain.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 10-09-2001, 05:10 PM   #22
tracey
Manshoon

very funny, but also rather tragic.

hmmmmmmmmm. why can't everyone just be nice?

)finger pauses on send button. NO. please don'r answer that - it was rhetorical)

------------------
offended mistress of the illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:10 PM   #23
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Actually I think you would find the article he refers to funny, when you are feeling in a lighter mood. It is another "article" at the Onion, about the Terrorists being interviewed about their surprise to wake up in Hell instead of Heaven. You can reference it by the Link I posted above, in the "last weeks news" section. You would enjoy the Onion site, Cheetah. It is full of biting social and political satire. The above article about God speaking out was an exception to its normally light hearted tone.

Well, ok........ I'll go take a look.... Sounds like a useful resource also!!

------------------

Most Ecstatic and Exotic Mistress of the Illuminati
Old 10-09-2001, 05:13 PM   #24
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
very funny, but also rather tragic.

hmmmmmmmmm. why can't everyone just be nice?

)finger pauses on send button. NO. please don'r answer that - it was rhetorical)

Tans, explain to me, WHY is it very funny!?? (If you are referring to the first post of this thread, which I am assuming you are?? )

------------------

Old 10-10-2001, 07:17 AM   #25
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
When you say 'funnier', I'm not quite clear on how humour comes into this... It's not meant to be FUNNY, Seph, it's deadly f*cking serious!!!!!!!

There are definitely some funny parts in the post:

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
"I guess I figured I'd left no real room for confusion after putting it in a four-word sentence with one-syllable words, on the tablets I gave to Moses. How much more clear can I get?"

and

"To be honest, there's some contradictory stuff in there, okay?" God said. "So I can see how it could be pretty misleading. I admit it—My bad.

[/B]
but I agree that the overall theme is serious. The final paragraph is extremely poignant.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Don't mention the score - I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it!
Old 10-10-2001, 07:25 AM   #26
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
When you say 'funnier', I'm not quite clear on how humour comes into this... It's not meant to be FUNNY, Seph, it's deadly f*cking serious!!!!!!!

hmmm... methinks you have to understand the staff of The Onion and their wit to get the humor of it. It does have it's funny elements, as do all the articles there (anyone remember the funny monkey collider or the azheimer's demanding cure for pancakes?). But yes, they were making a point in the telling of it, and a very good one at that.
Old 10-10-2001, 07:32 AM   #27
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:
hmmm... methinks you have to understand the staff of The Onion and their wit to get the humor of it. It does have it's funny elements, as do all the articles there (anyone remember the funny monkey collider or the azheimer's demanding cure for pancakes?). But yes, they were making a point in the telling of it, and a very good one at that.
Okey dokey. I must go check out this Onion site, which sounds worth a visit!! The reason I couldn't understand why people might find this funny was that the overall point was so serious and poignant. I was in tears by the end of it!! The bits that people are identifying as funny, - they just seem so obvious to me that I find it hard to see the humour.

------------------

Old 10-10-2001, 08:43 AM   #28
Prime2U
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Okey dokey. I must go check out this Onion site, which sounds worth a visit!! The reason I couldn't understand why people might find this funny was that the overall point was so serious and poignant. I was in tears by the end of it!! The bits that people are identifying as funny, - they just seem so obvious to me that I find it hard to see the humour.

Oh yes lol obvious is definitely a good word for the onion. I have fun finding the more hidden humor that's overshadowed by the blatant ummm obviousness that characterizes most of their articles. I've never met a person yet who didn't love it after they'd checked it out, so I wish you well. There is some CRAZY stuff in the archives.
Old 10-12-2001, 04:08 PM   #29
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Prime2U:
Oh yes lol obvious is definitely a good word for the onion. I have fun finding the more hidden humor that's overshadowed by the blatant ummm obviousness that characterizes most of their articles. I've never met a person yet who didn't love it after they'd checked it out, so I wish you well. There is some CRAZY stuff in the archives.
Oh yes, don't overlook the archives. Lots of great stuff buried in there.