Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-24-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My Windows ME is not working. I restarted it, and when it loaded up again, the resolution had fallen down to 800x600. The mouse doesn't show up either. I changed to a different mouse with no luck. When I try to change the resolution back, it says that I must restart the computer. I do that, and the resolution goes back to 800x600. How do I fix my problem?

BTW, I want to see if the mouse will appear in Safe Mode. How do I run Safe Mode?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Old 01-25-2004, 12:15 AM   #2
Lord

I found how to run it in safe mode. I load it up and the mouse is back. However, I can't keep running my computer in safe mode. Can someone please give specific directions on what to do after I load up Safe Mode? And please keep in mind that I basically know nothing about computers.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Sounds like your system may need a Windows reinstall. First question: Have you done anything new on the system recently? New system settings, new applications, new patches, new hardware, new games, etc.? They're most like to mess something up.

Running ME is a different issue entirely, but I'll leave that alone [img]smile.gif[/img]

The next step I'd do is to find a geek friend who loves challenges. 'Cause that's what's up next. Something's causing it to go haywire, and fixing that will take care of the problem. Finding it... that's another question.

You may be in line for a system reinstall -- reinstalling ME over the existing installation and telling it to revert things back to normal. Downside is you'll have to reset your preferences in a number of areas, but that's less of an issue than losing everything.

Worst case, you may be in for a format and reinstall. This will be less of a problem since you can get in in safe mode; you can back up your important data, files, and so on so you can bring them back later.

So, the short answer... look for any recent changes (and consider backing them out), and be prepared for a reinstall.

Good luck....
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:33 AM   #4
Lord

I just installed the Magnificent Magic Shop and Unfinished Business 4 for Baldur's Gate 2. I was planning on un-installing the Magic Shop afterwards anyway (just checking it out), so I don't mind if I have to un-install it. However, I do want to keep Unfinished Business. It was right after installing these that I tried to open up dxdiag to change the display settings about 3d graphics so that BG2 would run faster. However, it wouldn't load. That's why I restarted my computer and ran into these problems. I've been searching all over for help, and can't seem to find any specific help. I can't do a system restore because I haven't updated that computer since November 2001 (I don't use the computer for anything but some back up stuff and games). So System Restore is not an option. Any other help?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:51 AM   #5
Lord

I managed to get back my resolution by deleting the display adapters using device manager. My mouse still didn't appear, so I tried deleting the mouse under device manager. My new mouse reappered under there, but I still can't use it. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Old 01-25-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Here we go again. ME isn't an operating system, it's a frick'n virus!
Old 01-25-2004, 05:19 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hate to say it but i dont know anything about winME... majority of the people use win98, 2000 or xp.

best suggestion:
switch to winxp or win2000.. more stable and less headaches..

Catch me if you can..
Old 01-26-2004, 01:45 AM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Here we go again. ME isn't an operating system, it's a frick'n virus!
Hell yeah!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:06 AM   #9
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

Have you tried the system restore? Me is a piece of crap, but I had to use the system restore once and id actually worked........ go figure......

You Can Not Hide
Old 01-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #10
B_part
Quintesson

Stupid thing to say, but are you sure that the plug of your mouse works? why not trying to plug it on com 1 or com 2 or even an USB? I had such an issue once, I thought it was the mouse, instead it was the plug.

If you can still navigate, I suggest trying to download the drivers for your mouse from the internet and install them. If the issue is the driver, installing over it might solve the problem... or might actually make it worse in some cases, but worse than not responding, well, it's kinda tough.
The same goes 4 your display driver. Those usually work. On win2000.