Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-24-2001, 04:38 PM   #1
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Recently, as everyone knows, there has been a lot of concern and trepidation about IW, with stress levels being so high with the current world situation. People are worried how IW is proceeding, where the current trend is going, and what has happened to IW in the past two months.

As of this posting, we now have 4,079 members and over a quarter of a million unarchived posts (255,246 to be exact). The bulk of those posts are in the gaming forums, where hundreds, possibly thousands of members go each day to get help with their games, assist others, and form a sense of community.

The gaming forums are led in activity by the Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn forum, with over 85,000 posts. Coming in second place is Wizards & Warriors, still a very active forum after 1 year, with over 27,000 posts and closing in on the 30,000 mark. Once Neverwinter Nights and Wizardy 8 are released, they will undoubtedly result in a huge influx of new members and more posts; more ideas to be shared, more new topics to discuss, more clans, more stories.

In the center of all this is Gen Con, or General Discussions, which has become the flagship forum of Ironworks, now over 100,000 posts alone and nearing 110,000. It is the center of the Ironworks community; the common meeting ground for all sorts of gamers and even some non-gamers as well.

I look around Gen Con, and although I may see a problem post or two from time to time, what I mainly see are posts with people hailing each other in a friendly fashion, posts filled with creative writing such as Larry, et al's "One-Eyed Wolf" saga, the hilarious threads by Avatar and company of the ALSB vs. the now-defunct KFA group, people sharing advice and concern for others...in short, as Reeka put it so well the other day, a "community."

Like any community, we have our problems. I'm not being an ostrich about this. Some have been rather severe lately, and there have been some rather sad losses. We do what we can to deal with these problems. But we must never lose sight of the fact that the bulk of IW is all very positive. Ironworks is THRIVING...you can almost feel the dynamo occurring here. Visit any of the burgeoning gaming forums and see. Check out Larry's thread, or the clan threads. Visit Lord Shield's Bar (formerly the BG2 Bar), or Cloudy's Cafe. See, feel, and EXPERIENCE the camaraderie that is Ironworks.

The fact is, compared to other similar forum sites, IW is standing strong, rather than dissolving in flamewars. It will continue to stand strong as long as we love and care enough about it to continue to support it.

I for one stand up for Ironworks. It's still my favorite place on the Internet.

Cheers, and peace,

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 04:42 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yeah, damn right, time for some righteous indignation, IW is till the best out there, everyone knows it, and I hope these current problems quit soon, because certain people are leaving temporarily cos of it and certain mes (plural of me) are rather annoyed at that!!
But where was I, oh yeah, IW ROCKS!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Resident cantankerous sorcerer of the Clan HADB
and Sorcerous Nuttella salesman of the O.R.T

Long live HADB!!!

'What doesn't kill me makes me stronger'
Old 10-24-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
Legolas the Elven Archer

You tell 'em, Saz!

If you don't look at the War forum, we're doing better than ever

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 10-24-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I am not going ANYWHERE, no matter how bad it gets, I'll be here for IW and as soon as the War ends and the War forum is deleted, we'll be (Almost) back to normal.
Old 10-24-2001, 04:46 PM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Well put Sazerac, you and Reeka I think have hit the nail on the
head.
Thanks for posting with the insight.

------------------
The Ruby Rouge of the ALSB
Official Slayer of Pest's in Cloudy's Kitchen
Blessed is the Warlock
Advisor to the Lady Lioness for Kitchen raid's and such...
Old 10-24-2001, 04:50 PM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

heh, just like Neb, i'm not going anywhere for a long, long time! through thick and thin, i will be here, helping others and getting help!
Old 10-24-2001, 04:54 PM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

I feel the same as Neb, I'm not going anywhere. I have been helped and have offered help. I will continue on both counts (though I don't know if I can BE helped any more. )

The tense atmosphere will die back down soon, it already has to some degree. The first week after the tragedy, EVERYone seemed on edge and easy to upset or anger. Now, only a few are left, though it's more than I like. However, I have the utmost confidence that everyone will regain their composure and return to a sense of normalcy. We just need to take a deep breath. (oh! and then let it out again. )

------------------

Alureth...Dragon friend of Breanna, Mage and Advisor in the Court of Lady Lioness

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Second Historian and Scribe of IW. Mother Hen of IW.
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*
Old 10-24-2001, 05:41 PM   #8
Ryanamur
Fzoul Chembryl

I totally agree with you Saz, IW is a booming community filed with great people. We should really enjoy this.

Personnally, I really enjoyed the troubled war forum. I'm confident that things can be fixed in there. But it will take time and the commitment of all participant to bring it back to normal (I'll stop here).

A message to all, don't let the events in the War forum dissuade you of IW. It's a great and fun place.

SAZ: feel free to edit if you think I'm not respecting your War Forum guidelines

------------------
I'm the Wanderer without a clan... I bring justice without favorism. Though you may not agree with it, my judgement is final... and inconsequential
Old 10-24-2001, 05:45 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanamur:
I totally agree with you Saz, IW is a booming community filed with great people. We should really enjoy this.

Personnally, I really enjoyed the troubled war forum. I'm confident that things can be fixed in there. But it will take time and the commitment of all participant to bring it back to normal (I'll stop here).

A message to all, don't let the events in the War forum dissuade you of IW. It's a great and fun place.

SAZ: feel free to edit if you think I'm not respecting your War Forum guidelines

Not at all, Ryanamur. Thanks for sharing that...and I'm thrilled that you're committed to making IW great as well.

------------------

Patience, my BUTT...I'm going to KILL something!!!
Old 10-24-2001, 06:11 PM   #10
Arvon
Unicorn

I find this community a good community with a lot of interesting people. I've been telling selected people on the 3Do community board about this place. You have seen one here already, nad I think others will show up.

Keep up the good work ..every one!!!!

[This message has been edited by Arvon (edited 10-24-2001).]