Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 05-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Robalex
Dungeon Master

I'm playing with the patch. I switched my Lvl 11 Wizard to a Ranger. I had most Sun & Stone spells except Lvl 6 Petrification (Stone) & Lvl 5 Sun Spells + 1 Lvl 6 Sun spell. I have just reached Lvl 11 Ranger (by going to Rhumpy in the crypt with 1 other --my Lvl 10 Priest turned Paladin). So far my Ranger has NOT gotten access to any of the missing Lvl 5 SUN spells & according to the posts by Sazerac she should have. She did have 2 Vine spells (now 1) to get though. At Lvl 11 she leveled up & got back access her 5 Skill points, Ability & Hit points. Even at 1/2 the skill Levels rounded down as Sazerac suggests the only choice she had at Lvl up were the Vine spells. I wonder why this is & can anybody help??
Robalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Sun and stone spells are not magic realms native to a ranger - only vine is.

For a character to be able to learn magic spells from a non-native class he or she must have twice the level of the spell he or she wants to learn in the realm in question.

I.e. for your ranger to learn a level 6 stone spell he or she must have level 12 stone magic and so forth. That means if you are to learn level 7 spells in a non-native school you must have the enlightenment trait. But that is only availabel to zenmasters, and they can learn all spell schools anyway.

So my suggestion is: get the vine spells you need immediately and then change to a character class that can learn either stone or sun magic. That way you will be able to get the spells. Once your character has learned fletchery that character will still have the trait even if he or she is no longer a ranger. That means you can still make money unless the character changes to a warlock since a warlock cannot equip bows which is necessary for the fletchery trait to work. And since the warlock is your best bet if you want to acquire sun and stone spells that does create a problem. I hope you find a plan that works. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-26-2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: bsftcs ]
Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

There's one more thing that factors in (before Radek jumps in to correct me again [img]smile.gif[/img] ) -- your actual level.

You can learn spells at half your actual level, rounded down, as well. So your level 11 ranger can learn up to level 5 in non-native spell schools (everything but Vine), and up to level 7 in vine. In both groups, her spell school level also counts -- at full value in vine, and at half value (rounded down) in the others.

If it makes you feel better, it's only frustrating in your first game.... [img]smile.gif[/img]

And to emphasize something that bsftcs said in passing, be sure to learn fletchery before you change classes from Ranger. You'll need to be level 5 in the warrior guild (which means you'll have to pass the salads in Ishad N'ha), but it will be well worth it...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Radek
Red Dragon

Nooooooo! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

As far as getting new spells during promotions are concerned, there are two rules and one natural restriction.

Rule 1:
You cannot get a spell of a higher level than your character level.

Therefore, a character promoting to level 3 can get only level 1, 2, and 3 spells and so on. This rule applies always. It does not depend on "native" and "non native" magic schools. Among others, this rule says that (theoretically) you can get any spell starting from character level 7.
Well, this rule does not put any restriction to Robalex' ranger, because the ranger is level 11.

Rule 2:
If the selected magic school (wehre you want to get a new spell during promotion) belongs to
native magic school(s) for the role of the promoting character then the character cannot get spells of higher level than the skill level of the corresponding magic skill of the character.
non native magic school(s) for the role of the promoting character then the character cannot get spells of higher level than the skill level/2 (ronded down) of the corresponding magic skill of the character.
Example: The ranger has Vine magic as his native magic school. All other magic schools are non native for him. Therefore, a ranger with Vinecraft 5 can learn Vine spells up to skill level 5. If the ranger has Suncraft 7 then he can learn Sun spells up to level 3 (7/2 rounded down). And so on. This will be one of the reasons why Robalex' ranger does not get new spells.

Natural restriction
If you already know all spells, which satisfy Rule 1 and Rule 2 then you won't get any spell during promotion.

Well, nothing available - nothing given. Example: If the ranger has all magic schools at 3 and if he already knows all Vine spells up to spell level 3 and all level 1 spells for other magic schools then he gets nothing during promotion. That's because he already knows all spells, which he could get.