Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2001, 02:13 PM   #1
Agility
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How many of u cheat I am just wondering??
Old 11-27-2001, 02:40 PM   #2
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

The only things I do that might be considered "cheating" are:

1) Reload. A lot. More than I should. Sometimes I do it even if something merely annoying happens like running into a trap (and I happen to be low on healing spells, for example).

2) Roll only about two dozen times when creating a character, and if I don't get a roll I'm happy with I adjust the scores with Gatekeeper to a reasonable total... so in a sense that isn't really cheating--it is just a matter of convenience so that I don't have to sit around for an hour rolling dice. (I have the shittiest luck with dice and cards you have ever seen.)

3)Sometimes I switch my cleric-thief's armor or other characters' weapons in combat while pasued in MP mode--which of course would be impossible to do if they were in real combat. (Although it's never because I couldn't survive staying with what they're using--it's just that I want to optimize their skills and reduce the damage that I'll have to heal at the end of the battle.)

But as for hacking unrealistic stats or CLUAing in items that I haven't earned? No. Why? There's really no challenge to the game if you do that.
Old 11-27-2001, 03:14 PM   #3
Sorcerer Alex

I'm with Lemernis, the only times I 'cheat' are to reload and roll often to get some decent ability scores. If I cheat I can't stay motivated and I don't feel like I've actually played the game properly.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:35 PM   #4
Lavindathar
Harper

Sorry to say,
I consider most of the above cheating. I sit there re-rolling sometimes, but I'd never use Gatekeeper. I dont think u shud reload when u hit a trap, and that armour swapping.....

And welcome to the board
Old 11-27-2001, 05:29 PM   #5
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

quote:
Originally posted by Agility:
How many of u cheat I am jsut wondering??

Good thing I re-looked at the time you posted that!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:12 PM   #6
chinese noodle
Manshoon

i dont consider reloading cheating, nor changing armour (tho u can t do that on SOA)
i only think creating items with CLUAConsole and using gate keeper...
Old 11-27-2001, 11:17 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Mostly, the only times I'll actually *cheat* is when there's a bug in the game. But I will use Gatekeeper to do things like change my Appearance (An Elven Cleric looks so much cooler than a Human one), and sometimes I'll fool around with stuff just for fun, like using the CLUA Console to create a herd of cows inside the Duchal Palace. I think the last time I really cheated was to use Gatekeeper to adjust Coran's Thieving skills. (He's already Level 2/3 when you get to him, and by that time, he's already put too much into Stealth.)

I will, however, exploit 'bugs' in the game, that allow me to legally get 3 Amulets of Metaspell Influence in the same game, for instance, or Backstab while wearing Full Plate. If I'm smart enough to find those little extra 'features,' I deserve to use them--which is why I'm not telling YOU how it's done. I'm also in favor of hacking as long as it doesn't unbalance the game: For example, importing a Bag of Holding, or if you're playing solo, allowing your PC to use 1 or 2 hacked items.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:51 AM   #8
Campino

If someone wants to cheat,let him/her do it.I sometimes cheat too,not to gain gold,items or exp,only when i'm stuck.But the first time i finished BG1 or BG2,i can honestly say,i didn't cheat.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:48 AM   #9
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

WEll Agility, there are *some* ppl who insist on boosting their char stats to 25, but that takes most of the challenge/fun out of the game IMO.

There are others who toggle in some gold to be able to afford better weaponry/healing potions. I like to think of this as 'conjuring'.

There are others yet who equip their party with better armor/weaponry than is typically available at the beginning of the game. Again, this *could*, if kept *within reason*, be thought of as 'conjuring'.

Now then, as you know, I have been guilty of the second two in BG. I also reload (tho not very often, actually, as if you're careful you don't die!). Do I consider it 'cheating'? Wellll, technically yes. Does it take the challenge out of the game? Not for me because I simply do not get carried away--if all that is available is leather armor (for example) then I 'conjure' studded leather or maybe (*gasp*) splint or if regular arrows, then arrows +2 (and, o/c bring in more arrows later which are 'bad'). I do not up stats to a crazy level--like Lemernis, I keep things to a reasonable/realistic level.

Now you all know my 'secrets'! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Now get back to your schoolwork, Agility!
Old 11-28-2001, 02:04 PM   #10
Agility
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am doing my work for the time being!