Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-17-2001, 03:32 PM   #1
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Credit card companies suck

Got my credit card statement about two weeks ago with a charge on there for one of those automatic sign-up programs, the ones you have to call to get deactivated so your card is not charged. Well this was one that I had called them on over a year ago to be removed, but there it was again "annual fee for blah, blah, blah" So I wrote a nasty letter to the company telling them I want them to research this for me, remove the charge, credit me any interest that may have accrued and to not sign me up for any more programs ever. I also told them to not send anymore advertisements with my bill as they only get thrown in the trash and I have to make sure the statement does not go with them. So yesterday I got two letters back. The first stated that they removed the charge and credited my account the interest accrued, but also did not admit that it was their fault, but they were glad I brought it to their attention. The second one said that they apologise for the inconvience of the advertisements, but they are printed and stuffed into the envelopes at the same time the bills are so there is no way they can not put them into only one envelope!

So in the end, I got what I wanted, but what an inconvience to have to go through. How many people don't even look at their statement, they just pay the minimum balance and call it good. Well I am telling you start looking at your statements, and call them on any discrepancies you might notice, they certainly want your business more than you need theirs

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-17-2001, 03:40 PM   #2
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Um. I do have a tangental question here: do you have debit cards in the States?

Here in the UK a lot of people now have debit cards, where the money goes straight out of ones current account (I believe that would be checking account across the pond) though the card itself is, eg, a Visa card.

Personally I have both a debit and a credit card and I make damn sure I check every statement

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!

[This message has been edited by Billikins the Bold (edited 08-17-2001).]
Old 08-17-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
Redblueflare
Galvatron

I don't have a credit card yet. But since I will eventually be forced to get one. (Ordering over the net is a real pain without one.) I'll take your advice when I do. Thanks.

------------------
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just don't have to listen.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:49 PM   #4
Lord Shield

I have both too - I check the statements also but it is always possible for some damn thing to accrue - hell, my Dad got charged for something someone bought MILES away but he got it back - about £200 for something

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 08-17-2001, 03:51 PM   #5
Absynthe

Good advice Moridin! Those %$#&@**'s will stop at nothing to get money out of you.
Hi Billikins, we do have debit cards here, a major convenience for local shopping. However, they pose a very serious danger if used over the internet.
Credit cards, at least in the states, are protected against fraud, with the consumer usually being liable for about $200.00 max. The companies can write off the losses, and I believe it's a (federal?) law to protect consumers.
Debit cards on the other hand, have no such protection. If your account information is hijacked, your account can be drained, leaving you holding the bag. Most banks will not cover your liability in this instance, and you are left with no money in your account. Major bummer.

Old 08-17-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
Billikins the Bold
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
I have both too - I check the statements also but it is always possible for some damn thing to accrue - hell, my Dad got charged for something someone bought MILES away but he got it back - about £200 for something

My manager had his card numbers (for 5 cards) stolen whilst running a training course in Nairobi, Kenya. Had £5000+ charged within a week, in Kenya and Canada, which jsut goes to show!

I believe, though I could be wrong, that you do get protection against stolen Debit cards draining your account in the UK, though, touch wood, I've not had to find out for myself yet!

And on that note I'm off to pick up a bottle of wine (debit card) and a take away curry (good ol' cash!)

------------------
Fear? I know not the meaning of the word. And you can keep that dictionary away from me!
Old 08-17-2001, 04:58 PM   #7
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I too have a debit card and credit card. I use my credit card for online purchases and my debit card at stores. I don't know about debit card liability, but I think with a checking account (if someone stole your checks) you are only liable for $500.00, so it might be the same with the debit card?!?