Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-14-2004, 04:10 PM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmm, this is getting pretty rough now - the Pope, after excommunicating me has now asked Catholic nations to declare a Crusade against me. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

What he doesn't know is that I've got an invasion army building up in Greece, lots of chivalric men-at-arms (I'm still in early/middle period) from Constantinople, Royal Knights from Saxony, Vikings (my fodder) from Scandinavia, Chivalric Spearmen from Poland and mangonels/catapults/ballistae from Bulgaria (I own all those provinces) - and very shortly we're going to take a trip to Rome. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Not only that, the war against the Germans is going really well - I've taken Freisland, Bohemia and Franconia, and have gotten them holed up in their castle in Swabia. Plus I killed the Holy Roman Emperor in battle during the attack on Franconia - I was sieging their castle with 600 men when they sallied forth with reinforcements from Austria (I think) and all of a sudden I was facing 1300 men. I had 60 Royal Knights who took some grievous losses but they were led by a prince who was literally the last knight left, but he killed the German Emperor in personal combat. It was beautiful to watch him chase this fleeing bloke down and kill him.

This is a totally awesome game. I'm starting to develop a system for keeping track of all my stuff now. Love it.

[ 08-14-2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #32
Djinn Raffo
Ra

That can be when you get into trouble when Crusades start coming your way.

Right now i'm playing the Almohads. They have one of the best, if not the best, units in the game. They start in an easily defensible position with some expansion options.. but you quickly run into a wall. I like playing them though.

Memnoch you should load up a game as one of the Moslem factions just to hear the different music.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:15 AM   #33
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hmmm, this is getting pretty rough now - the Pope, after excommunicating me has now asked Catholic nations to declare a Crusade against me. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

What he doesn't know is that I've got an invasion army building up in Greece, lots of chivalric men-at-arms (I'm still in early/middle period) from Constantinople, Royal Knights from Saxony, Vikings (my fodder) from Scandinavia, Chivalric Spearmen from Poland and mangonels/catapults/ballistae from Bulgaria (I own all those provinces) - and very shortly we're going to take a trip to Rome. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Not only that, the war against the Germans is going really well - I've taken Freisland, Bohemia and Franconia, and have gotten them holed up in their castle in Swabia. Plus I killed the Holy Roman Emperor in battle during the attack on Franconia - I was sieging their castle with 600 men when they sallied forth with reinforcements from Austria (I think) and all of a sudden I was facing 1300 men. I had 60 Royal Knights who took some grievous losses but they were led by a prince who was literally the last knight left, but he killed the German Emperor in personal combat. It was beautiful to watch him chase this fleeing bloke down and kill him.

This is a totally awesome game. I'm starting to develop a system for keeping track of all my stuff now. Love it.
There's nothing funnier than seeing a crusade move into one of your land, and then retreat because it realise it can't win. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 03:44 AM   #34
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

wait till you see ROME total war . Its coming out end of the year. Its a good timing for you since you just started and enjoying Medival total war .

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 03:57 AM   #35
ScottG
Drow Warrior

They have been using the realtime battle graphics from ROME total war on the history channel.. in an over-used word (but true) - AWESOME!
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 12:46 PM   #36
StigTC

Damn those princes.
I'm playing as the Danish and the third heir to the throne was just so much better that I sent his two older brothers alone (with their bodyguards of course, 40 men in total) to Finland to fight the 1800 peasants and fanatics there. First time around they killed 900 enemies and only the first heir managed to escape, I of course sent him back as I tolerate no retreat (Eg. I wanted him dead) and he actually killed 587, took 125 prisoners and forced the enemy to retreat, thus conquering Finland single handedly. By the time he went home he was a valour 16 cavalry unit. Sadly he was lost in his attempt to conquer Pomerania as well.
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 08:52 PM   #37
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by StigTC:
Damn those princes.
I'm playing as the Danish and the third heir to the throne was just so much better that I sent his two older brothers alone (with their bodyguards of course, 40 men in total) to Finland to fight the 1800 peasants and fanatics there. First time around they killed 900 enemies and only the first heir managed to escape, I of course sent him back as I tolerate no retreat (Eg. I wanted him dead) and he actually killed 587, took 125 prisoners and forced the enemy to retreat, thus conquering Finland single handedly. By the time he went home he was a valour 16 cavalry unit. Sadly he was lost in his attempt to conquer Pomerania as well.
Yes, those are powerfull units.

It remind me of one of my favorite game ever. I was showing the game to a friend, so I started a new game as the french and attacked the english land beside it. I only used my king, and I won the fight, taking one of their best land. That was so cool I continued the game, and kept that tactic for a while. The French king singlehandedly conquered 3 provinces and killed the english king in duel. [img]smile.gif[/img]

After that he had no more guards in his unit, she I let him sit back and watch.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:43 AM   #38
StigTC

I found that he was actually a better unit once he had no other troops, losing his men is bad for his morale and causes him to run away, once he's on his own, the only worry in the world he has is his flanks. [img]smile.gif[/img]
One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead boys got up to fight, <br />Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other. <br />The deaf policeman heard the noise, and came and shot those two dead boys. <br />If you don\'t believe this joke is true, ask the blind man, he saw it too!
StigTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #39
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hey, does anyone know if people have customised/modded this game?

I wouldn't mind creating a map of Westeros (George Martin A Song of Ice and Fire) as a custom map...

PS. Nobody's launched a Crusade against me yet, and my army to wipe out the Papal States sails very shortly. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #40
Djinn Raffo
Ra

There are mods out there including some conversions. I've played a Napoleon mod and a Hellenic mod which were both ok. But i think that the map and some other elements are hard coded and you have to work around them which limits what you can do. For balancing and improving gameplay the medmod is number 1.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote