Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Ironworks Forum Where were you/what were you doing when you heard about the attacks on 9/11?

I was asleep, and Donna came home from work--going to get her teeth cleaned on an early break and heard about it at work, she stopped home and told me, and I woke up
and watched the horror unfold live.

I remember my mom just being diagnosed with stage four cancer, and then this happened, I had a really bad upset stomach watching it.. just unreal...
Since I was small, I ALWAYS loved the twin towers, and drew them a bunch... and seeing them burning, and the people jumping was almost too much to watch.. I don't 'cry' much, but that day I did.

I never even entertained the possibility that they would collapse. No one really did. So when they fell, I just sat there cold... numb to the images I just saw.
So today, I remember those that died 9 years ago, and will never forget them, and the responders that died on that day.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Where were you/what were you doing when you heard about the attacks on 9/11?

I was at work and the boss came in asking if we'd heard about the plane crashing into the tower. His wife was in their apt in NYC watching it all and telling him about it on the phone. I thought he was joking for a long time.... until someone turned on a radio and then it was all so surreal....just couldn't believe it.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Default Re: Where were you/what were you doing when you heard about the attacks on 9/11?

I was at home waiting for a TV show to start. The burning tower was on every channel and i remember getting a bit impatient at the whole thing. It was only when the second plane crashed that the full gravity of the situation struck me and i knew i was watching history unfold. I remember telling my room mate that this is exactly how world wars get started and she too got the picture. We both had to work early the next day, but we watched it well into the morning. Our generations' "JFK moment" is the term, i believe. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing. I never did get to watch that show.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I was at work here in GR. As the only employee here, I worked in an office by myself. Someone came in and mentioned it, at which point I checked in on the web and radio.

After less than an hour, I decided to call it a day to go home to be with my wife and kids.

I've heard it referred to as the same kind of moment as JFK's assassination and the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I know *I* won't forget...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I was in highschool, Economics class in my senior year. Once our teacher heard about it we dropped everything and turned on the tv. All my other teachers felt we were better off distracted by the lessons, which makes some sense. Though, they were still understanding if we were less than focused. Haven't cried since middle school and that day didn't change it. I was more or less in shocked disbelief.

Also, it's my sister's birthday today.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I was in Schweinfurt, Germany, a tank platoon sergeant and company master gunner with A co 1-77 Armor, "Steel Tigers".
It was mid afternoon, we had just finished motor stables maintenance and began focusing on weapons maintenance at the weapons facility. There we received live coverage from AFN via satellite. Within the hour we were called to a "muster" alert (thereby unaware the towers fell until several days later), and received orders from BDE to provide "armed" guard on the housing area located at... Being the smallest battalion in a infantry world, we were doled out the smallest footprint.

That day ended at 23:59:59hrs, but we remained on housing village guard until noonish the following day, making for a 36 hour cycle which began with PT the previous morning. The next 2 weeks was 100% muster and "guarding of our own". This could not continue as we already had marching orders for Kosovo K4A rotation in early Spring 02. Sometime between 9/14 and 9/16 we were ready to march to Afghanistan and serve OBL with a "Axe Bite" on foot, and we were tankers!

The 1-77 Armor Coat of Arms has a tiger with a bloody axe. The soldier salutes with the greeting "Steel Tiger" the officer returns the salute with "Blood on the Axe". The battalion commander has the axe in the battalion awards room, and carries it on special occassions.
(Hence the axe bite)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...sparent%29.gif

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I was at work, at Kvaerner. We saw it all on a live feed.

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

I was at work. Pretty much all work stopped so we could gather round the TV in the break room. I was especially worried 'cause my niece had just moved to NYC a couple months earlier, and I remember her saying she could see the towers from the roof of her apartment building, and I *thought* she said one of the modeling agencies she'd signed up with was in one of them. It took about 1/2 a day before the family heard from her. Phones were "kinda busy" up there...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

I was at work in the hospital. A guy from housekeeping stopped by my office and said something about terrorists crashing a plane into one of the towers in NYC. I was busy with my morning work, so it didn't really sink in at first. He gave me some more details and I - like many others - began to realize that this might be a world-changing event if it was really happening. I left my office and went down the hall towards the patient rooms. Several of my coworkers were already gathered around a TV in the first room. We all stood in numb silence for a long time watching the events unfold.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I was at home in Sydney, getting ready to go to bed when I noticed that the news had changed to follow a story about planes crashing into the WTC. As I watched the horrifying reality of it started to sink in. Ended up staying up till 4am and had 3 hours of sleep before having to go to work next day. Particularly poignant for me as my sister used to work in those towers and in fact had moved to Sydney a few weeks ago. Otherwise she would've been there.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote