Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-17-2000, 01:58 PM   #1
cooper

Hmm...I must be stupid or something but I can´´t find my way to Ishad Na´h. The oracles told me that I was the choosen one and stuff like that, they also told me that I must travel to the west to face my destiny.
The big question is how do I get there?? Through the cave?? If so, how?? Thanks for a very informative messageboard..............=)

Old 11-17-2000, 02:25 PM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

The path westward from the Oracles shouldn't be hard to miss so I suspect that you really aren't finished chatting with the Oracles. Keep talking and click every keyword on your conversation window. The path to the west WILL open up and you should have no difficulty finding Ishad N'ha(hahahaha) after that!

Wyv
Old 11-18-2000, 10:33 AM   #3
cooper

OK, thanx.

Old 11-18-2000, 11:04 AM   #4
cameron

yikes!, this program is so buggy! ...worst I have ever seen, such a pity as its cool to play when its working....

when I enter the town of Ishad Na'hl, I can't seem to leave again, am I missing something - or have I come across a large bug? (i.e. I try to leave by the gates)

thanks

CaM

Old 11-18-2000, 03:17 PM   #5
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

Let me guess. You're running Windows 2000, right? I had the same problem of not being able to exit Ishad N'ha. I also didn't have a mages' guild I could access in Valeia. Turnes out this is a well-known Windows 2000 issue, and there is an easy fix for it.

The towns are basically movie files. The left and right arrows move you forward and backward in the videos. The makers of Wizards and Warriors chose to put these movies into compressed format. While the call they use to run these movies in the town screen works for Windows 95/98 and also works for Windows 2000 f the movies are not compressed it does not work for Windows 2000 if the movies are compressed.

Simple solution, uncompress the movie files.

There are six files that all end up being about 32 MB each once they are uncompressed (so you will need about 180MB more disk space). They are in a subdirectory of the game directory (might be called town) and they all have the extention .avi. You need to download a program called VirtualDub (or any otehr program that can read in compressed and write out uncompressed movie files) from the internet, install it, and use it to uncompress the video files. This mostly consists of opening the files and saving them under a different filename, then deleting the old (compressed) files and changing the names of the uncompressed versions.

Once done you just run Wizards and Warriors and you should be able to get out of Ishad N'ha, as well as being able to enter several more locations on the town, that you couldn't before.

If you don't have Windows 2000 I'm afraid you have a bug I am not familiar with and this advice probably won't help you. You could try it anyway, it won't hurt (aside from using up more hard drive space), but it probably won't help either.

Either way, good luck.
Old 11-18-2000, 04:21 PM   #6
Regis
Welcomed New User

That is sheer genius.

How did you come up with that theory in the first place?
Old 11-18-2000, 05:38 PM   #7
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

I wish I could take credit for this, but alas, when it happened to me I contacted the game company and they told me it was a known problem and they mentioned the bit about compressed versus uncompressed .avi files. Some very kind soul gave me the URL for downloading VirtualDub, and explained the problem to me in much greater detail. I simply ran the program and presto, problem solved.

If it wasn't the game company, then whoever figured it out in the first place deserves hearty congratulations on an excellent piece of detective work.
Old 11-18-2000, 05:44 PM   #8
Archimedes
Welcomed New User

The kind soul who helped me out was Eldurin. That was on this very board. Nice community we have here.
Old 11-18-2000, 08:04 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Maybe someone such as the knowledgable Archimedes would consider reposting this Win 2000 info in a post with a subject such as: WARNING TO WIN2000 USERS so that I can continually bump it up to the top (along with the serpent temple maps and enchanting items) I think this would be a great service to many confused and frustrated players

Wyv