Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2001, 12:32 AM   #1
JFMiller

Try changing your graphic settings or usually what I do is Save after a really big fight or after an advancement in level.
Old 01-13-2001, 12:46 AM   #2
maxpower

I've tried changing grachic settings to no difference, and I do save very often normally at leats once every 20 mins or once I do a level up or other significant thing. But as my game crashes when I save, my saves are becoming longer as I have to reboot after a "save game crash". Its kind of a catch 22 thing..lol.

One of the best things about this forum is the quick replys...seems some people spend all there time on this forum (think I'm becoming one of them..lol).
Old 01-13-2001, 11:51 AM   #3
maxpower

Since installing W&W it has run fine up to recently, I got to Shurugeon castle with out the game crashing once. So I got throught the water grates and past the broken wall just fine killed some spirits fine and decided to go back to get some more skills after a level up was dropping down the water passage again only to find a moat piranha at the bottom which I had to kill as it was under me and stopping me from dropping down enought to move onwards. As it turns out everytime I tried to kill this fish the game crashed just as it was about to die. This happens evertime without fail. I got over this by not killing it and moving back and just drifting down untill I can get past it, so that was a bug but not a problem. Now I go back to ishad h'na and enter the town the game craches as I click on the gates. I reload and eberthing is fine my team is in the town and all is well. I go back to shurugeon castle get past the water fine with no problems, now I get to the doorway with the lever to enter the castle (saves games) and crash as I click the red X in bottom left of the save screen window (after doing the save) the game crashes. I re-load and all is fine the game saved ok. So now I pull the lever to get into the castle and game crashes, I re-load and try this several time, In fact about 20 times, and each time I get a crash as soon as it tries to load the castle area. After giving up on this I travel around and have a play with the dragon and get some more level ups and just general carnage, but now the game crashes everytime I save (although the games do save each time just means I have to "Esc" key and reboot game), also it crashes everytime I enter Ishad h'na although I can enter the first town fine with out any crash. Last night after one hour of play I get a random crash (with no saves in it), after clearing lots of map areas and abpout four level ups this totaly @#%&#$% me off. I have tried the patch and that makes no difference.

Any help would be most gratefull, as Im at a stage where I don't want to play anymore becuase its begining to see futile.

help help help please if any one can.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:55 PM   #4
Strider
Welcomed New User

Something may be corrupt in your saved games files or directory, so you might try this. Make a backup of your saved directory. Then delete all the files from the saved directory. Start the game and go to the inn and click on the "revert" button. Even though you deleted the saved games it still loads your characters in the inn just as they were the last time they were in town. Load your party and exit and see if you can save without it crashing now. Have no idea or not if this will work but might be worth a shot. If it doesn't you can always restore your saved directory from the backup you made and your no worse off then you was.

GL
§
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:37 PM   #5
maxpower

I tried that, but could not do it as such. It just said my party was out on adventure so I had no characters to load to test the save.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:48 PM   #6
Strider
Welcomed New User

When I entered the inn after deleting the saved games and clicked on "revert" button all my party members came back to the inn so I could load up my party and exit the town. You didn't by chance do "reset adventures" instead of "revert" did you? If not I don't know why it works for me but not you, sorry.

§
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 05:51 PM   #7
maxpower

Duh @ me, I forgot to do the revert. Have done that now and yes I could reload my party, went to Shurugeon castle pulled the lever......and same thing the next sceen tried to load i.e. the "please wait loading" window pops up but thats it the the game crashes again. It seems weird to me that it consistantly crashes in the same spot. I've been able to go way past the castle playing "dragons breath" exchanges with the dragon with no crashes or anything. Think I'll have to keep my save games and un-install and then re-install the game.
Old 01-15-2001, 12:46 AM   #8
maxpower

Ok I could really do with some help on this as I haven't found an answer yet. I have totaly un-installed the game and re-installed now. Then I just re-added the roster.dat file and re-started from the town of Ishad h'na, but I'm still getting the exact same problems.

1)The game crashes when I pull the lever at Shurugeon castle.
2)The game crashes at the western entrance to Ishad h'na (although this doesn't happen at the eastern gate or at either gate at the first town)
3)The game saves ok but when I click the "red X" on the save window it causes a crash.

I have had one error message displayed in about 40/50 crashes, which reads as follows:-

The Instruction at 00420dlb referenced memory at ffffffff
The memory could not read from

Thats all there was with just and "OK" button at the bottom.

Could really do with some help on this as I figure if I can't complete the castle then I won't be able to finnish the game..?? therefore I have to get in the castle.

Any techies out there please help. I have also tried setting all graphics and sound options as low as they will go this has no effect either.
Old 01-15-2001, 01:19 AM   #9
Moni

I had that exact same problem in the serpent temple that you are having at Shrurgeon Ruins.
Now & then I would get a flash & be looking at my desktop when I attempted to enter a building in one of the towns.
I ended up getting so stuck with the Serpent Temple that not even loading an old game would get me in or out of that whole area!
Replacing a stick of 128 MB memory I had just been given by my boyfriend with one that was actually good worked and the game has not crashed or locked up on me since.
: )
Moni

P.S. The saved game data turned out to be so corrupt I had to uninstall, re-install & start all over. : (
Old 01-15-2001, 06:58 PM   #10
maxpower

Well im pretty sure that this is a software problem and not a hardware problem as I haven't added any new hard ware for months now. And the rest of the game seems to be ok.

Maybe it is some bad saved data, but the only thing that I copied from the old install to the new one is the roster file. Which I would like to keep as I dont really want to start all over again.

For the mean time I'm just about done with this game unless I can get this sorted. My patience is running thin now...lol.