Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-06-2001, 01:49 AM   #1
Falconer
Welcomed New User

Hi...

I already went through the majority of postings, but couldn't find a similar problem to mine. So let me give a brief breakdown.

I was playing Wizards and Warriors on Windows 98, but recently converted my system to Windows 2000 Professional. It was a clean install -- I reformatted the entire hard drive and installed Windows 2000.

My system is a Dell 1 GHz with 256 Megabytes RAM and a GeForce 2 video card. The system is pretty new, and there's no shortage of hard drive space (over 30 gigs free presently). I installed Wizards & Warriors (which in itself was somewhat odd -- the start menu shows 'empty' under Activision\Wizards & Warriors) and copied my save games over (the progress I made under Windows 9. I had to manually create a shortcut to the Deep6.exe since it shows as 'empty' on the start menu. Still, the installation had no visible problems (there weren't any errors), so I was surprised to find the 'empty' status.

Nonetheless, I trudged on, and launched the game. Once inside, I loaded up one of my earlier saved games and cruised about a bit. Some spells work fine, others don't -- it's constant, though, not random in which spells crash the game. When the game crashes, I get the following message (Alt-Tabbing out):

======

Application Error: C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\...

The instruction at 0042548d referenced memory at 04551000
The memory could not be read from

Click on OK to terminate the application

======

The error message is always the same, too (the numbers don't change). Now all my other games work fine, and don't give me any problems, so I don't think this is bad RAM. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, know how to possibly fix it? Thanks.

- Falconer
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2001, 03:28 AM   #2
carg
The Magister

The game is not officially supported under win2000.
Most people seem to get it going, but have a problem in towns. But by uncompressing certain files you can get by that.
I hadn't heard of your problem yet, but it sounds like it is something of a bug that doesn't happen on win95/98, so wasn't discovered while testing. Perhaps someone else has an easy solution for you, but to me it seems like a serious problem for you.
Anyway, the first thing you should do is get the patch; perhaps it fixes the problem.
And you should try reporting the error; I've heard rumors that they are working on a new patch, so perhaps they can fix it.
There are a number of problems with nVidia cards with the newest drivers (detonator 3); my system with a TNT2 kept freezing randomly with them. You could try to find some older drivers to check if that helps.
Otherwise I guess you could try not to cast the problem spells: no spell is vital to completing the game, and only a minority is problematic to do without.
Good luck.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 02:19 AM   #3
/\/\/\

I started out a game on W2K pro with a Geforce2 MX on an Asus A7V board with a Athlon T-bird 800. I had a lot of problems with it until I got the lastest video, motherboard BIOS updates, and the latest video driver, and the latest VIA chipset drivers, and set the BIOS to normal instead of optimal in the AGP video settings. The bigger problem I'm having is that some of the town building and gates don't work. I finally go into Isha'd Nha and none of the gates work so I can't get out of town. I an going to have to get a second drive and install WinME just for some of my games, because I need W2K pro for the other stuff I run.
Old 01-17-2001, 02:31 AM   #4
Moni

No dual boot option for Win 98, or was it set up without ever having 98 on your system?
(Just asking because I know being able to boot into Win98 keeps the problems the game has with W2k from occuring)
: )
Moni
Old 01-17-2001, 03:11 AM   #5
maxpower

Im running win98se a PIII 530mhz and 128mb ram and im geting a similar kind of problem but mine is caused by a new area loading.
My fault shows as:-

The Instruction at 00420dlb referenced memory at ffffffff
The memory could not read from

This causes the game to freeze, I can find no answer to this so if anyone can help out here it may well be of some assistance to me.

For further details read the thread "Ut oh crash problems"