Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
wellard
Dracolisk

Has anyone else had problems getting a genuine version of windows XP registered?

What a bloody pain in the ass! I swear at this moment I would almost condone pirate software I am so xxxxxx annoyed (yes I know its against the rules of house Ziroc, so don't do it kids mmmkay!). Fresh from admitting this week it tried to stuff over another company (real player) it is now treating the little guy like me with contempt.

I have had this copy of XP for a couple of years and used it with no problem until now when it failed to register online. I'm guessing that some facts that don’t help are the fact that I have a computer like the proverbial axe with 3 heads and two new handles, there is nothing original about my computer (not even the case!) *modem excepted*, and has had more reboots than a cobbler. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]
The copy of XP pro is a shop bought from a reputable store (from the UK) to replace the blue screen of death joke windows ME that the computer came with.

I know Microsoft have to take precautions against pirates but after 40 minutes yesterday and 30 minutes today on the phone being passed from one idiot to the next I have come to the point of saying stuff em'.

What happens to the windows XP if you fail to register within 30 days?
Has anyone else tried to get there genuine copy of XP authorised and been given the run around?
How do I resolve the problem without wasting more of my valuable time?

*Note this forum does not condone the use of pirated software*

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

It shuts down after the 30 days. As for the workaround .. the pirate community had product activation stripped before winXP was widely available. If you have broadband, you should be able to get an activation-free copy of winXP over P2P or BT without too much difficulty.

As for legality - M$ dont care. They might make noises about it, but at the end of the day, their major source of revenues are coporate customers, not home users. Besides, you have a valid license.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Geez. What a waste of your time and money. I have never experienced this issue, but know somebody who has.
If you don't go the darkened route, and attempt M$ again, try this series.
Yes I understand your position, but my problem requires *YOUR* supervisor as that is where we concluded yesterday, I think his name was John. Then Melissa, then Mike. Do this until 3rd echelon, now you have a person who CAN fix your issue. That was how my friend finalized after three days of antagonizing phone baloney with them.

Git'R'Done

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
philip
Galvatron

Is just not registering the copy not an option?
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:10 AM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Unfortunately only the professional version allows you to skip it. I hate it when they require an internet connection, it's such a crude and bloody inconvenient way to stop piracy!

Edit - it was, of course, only the professional version that allows you to skip. Bleh, it was too early when I posted that.

[ 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Zebodog

After many, many hardware upgrades XP has forced me to phone MS on several occasions to re-register. I've found that on average, it takes less than 5 minutes and I have a new activation code.

I'm surprised you're having problems. I thought for sure that when XP was introduced that product activation was going to be a PITA, but to MS's credit, it's almost painless.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Perhaps MS's American customer services team are significantly more "on it" than their transatlantic counterparts!

[ 10-21-2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #8
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Perhaps MS's American customer services team are significantly more "on it" than their Aussie counterparts!
American? Hmmph...I'll just have to assume that was meant as "North American"

To be honest, I'm very surprised at the ease of which I could re-activate. All in all, I've activated this very same copy over 20 times, with only 3 calls to MS. Usually it resulted in a "Where did you buy it?" "When did you buy it?" or "What is on the front of the disc?" After a simple answer, the support personnel gave me a new code, and very politely asked if they could do anything else to assist me.

I did buy a boxed retail version, so I wonder if there is a difference between the OEM and retail?
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Old 10-21-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

So Mr. Zebo, what exactly is on the front of your 'boxed retail version' of the said OS?
Mine has a holographic of M$ all across the innerring!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
Zebodog

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
So Mr. Zebo, what exactly is on the front of your 'boxed retail version' of the said OS?
Mine has a holographic of M$ all across the innerring!
Well, Mr. Assassin, mine has a holographic image of various different XP icons, and the MS logo.

I'm sure that MS is able to distinguish between different versions of there OS based upon the original Activation code.

I'm curious to know the point of the question, other than to beat on MS supporters some more? (No offense intended, my Alt_OS supporting friend. )

[ 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Zebodog ]