Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 08-17-2005, 10:31 AM   #21
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'll be eyeballing it kev, thanks. Hey Bungleau, what's the name of the registry file that I need to make those changes in? or do you mean making those changes inside the install.txt log file?
trist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #22
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

It's actually the Windows registry, accessible by going to Start, Run, regedit.

***WARNING!!!***
The Registry pretty much controls your entire computer. If it gets toasted, your computer becomes a paperweight really quick. If you're not familiar with it, be sure to make a backup copy of it before doing anything. And be very careful when you're in it -- hitting the delete key at the wrong time and place could be catastrophic. Or worse.

Now, what I sent to you is a very minor registry tweak, so it should be pretty easy to do. However... make sure you're in the right place when you do it, and make sure you only change the entry you're working on.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:54 AM   #23
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

I think that you may have had the same problem that I did with the intro movie. It froze with just a piece of the black flames on the screen. They were outsized.
When I started the game again I had the option to bypass that screen & go direct to the game.
I guess what Bungleau is trying to do is to get you past that intro. Have you tried just restarting the game without doing anything else? That worked for me.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 PM   #24
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... if that's the issue, create a file called INTROOFF.DAT in the W&W directory. That bypasses the opening movie.
-+-+-+
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #25
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The intro movie plays fine the first time I play the game after installation. Right after the movie finishes, I can see the background of the main menu but the options(new game, load game, options, etc) are not there yet. Instead, it's a loading timeglass. After it loads, the game minimizes to the desktop. I can see purple and yellow graphic glitches on the upper part of the monitor. I can also see the Deep6 program running on the taskbar on the bottom. The music on the main menu plays fine. When I try to open up the Deep6 program, I just get a black screen. So I always terminate the program from the task manager. From then on, whenver I double click on the shortcut, the game loads real quick, then it minimizes to the desktop to repeat the same thing over as before, except that the intro movie never plays again. What about using windows event manager?

[ 08-19-2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: trist007 ]
Old 08-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #26
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Oh, yeah... okay, here's the scoop.

Under Start Menu, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, there's an option called Event Viewer. Double-click on it.

It shows you three kinds of logs -- application, security, and system. If you click on any one of them, they'll show you their latest events. When you do that, this would be a good time to maximize the display. [img]smile.gif[/img]

There are three types of events that are logged: Information, Warnings, and Errors. Odds are pretty good that you'll see lots of information events, and few warnings or errors. In any case, check out the first few events and look for anything strange. "Strange" in this case means something related to Deep6.exe or W&W, or a warning or error.

Do this for all three log types. With luck, there will be something in one of them right near the beginning.

Note that you may need to click on the "date" column to sort things by date. That may be the default, but I wouldn't guarantee it.

If there's nothing showing up quickly, then you can filter out the information records. Do this by going to View, Filter at the top. Then click on the checkbox next to "Information events" and click OK. You should now see just the errors and warnings.

Take a look through these and see if anything of interest shows up.

With luck, there will be a clue in there.
-+-+-+
Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 AM   #27
trist007
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Crap, nothing new comes out on the Event Viewer
Oh well, thanks for all the help. I've learned lots of stuff about windows, so it was all worth the attempt. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:31 AM   #28
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Is that anything like running

START
RUN
msinfo32.exe ???
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #29
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Nope. It's different, but msinfo32 (which I'd never seen before [img]smile.gif[/img] ) has other interesting information
-+-+-+
Old 08-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #30
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
Nope. It's different, but msinfo32 (which I'd never seen before [img]smile.gif[/img] ) has other interesting information
Well, I hope you find that useful!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote