Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #11
Stratos
Vampire

Scimitars are finessable in IWD2? I might change to one for my dual-wielding svirfneblin Ranger, considering I'll be raising my dexterity from now on. Once I find a good scimitar, that is.

Edit: BoB, you were correct in that other thread; it appears that the longsword (Emma's) Moonblade of Selune doesn't add your strength modifier to the damage after all. I checked it yesterday.

[ 01-08-2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 01-09-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Belay all that, I've just tested it, and Scimitars give penalties just as if they were large swords, AND they are NOT finessable. This is probably due to a mod. Bozos if you would enlighten us?
Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

OK, I just created a party with two guys, a ranger with Weapon Finesse, one without. I bought a bunch of daggers, short swords, longswords and scimitars to test what exactly was going on. Scimitars recieved the Weapon Finesse benefit. As you said, it shouldn't, so I went to check my mods. I don't know exactly what Non-WeiDu mods I have, so I checked the WeiDu mods' lists to see if anything tampers with either weapon finesse. Might be the Monk Weapon Finesse mod is bugged, I don't know. I couldn0t find anything more. But, for the time being, I'll still be using my scimitars with weapon finesse
I said they gave... aww dammit... OK, it appears I had a brain fart. I wrote short, instead of long sword in a post a few scrolls up. I meant to say that they have equal penalties, as they are weapons of equal size, but I botched it..
Sorry guys, I'll try not to do that again.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
Stratos
Vampire

Well, I haven't found any scimitars worthwhile yet, anyway, so it hardly matters. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #15
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Argh, oh well, back to longsword/scimtar+shortsword then!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:46 AM   #16
Karrde
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Maybe a little core p&p rule clarification:

Weapon Finesse has NOTHING to do with your off-hand penalties.

Just follow this line:

If you choose to dual-wield ANY kind of weapon (as long as you are a char with small or medium size, we dont count large chars herein), you get a base number of penalties, depending on your feats and on your weapons:

1. Basically, you get a -6 on your main hand and a - 10 on left hand.

2. Having the feat "Two-Weapon-Fighting" gives you a -2/-2 modifier, resulting in -4/-8.

3. The feat "Ambidexterity" grants you another -4 modifier for your off-hand, resulting in a -4/-4 modifier.

4. If you were a light weapon in your off-hand, you get another -2/-2 modifier, so you have -2/-2 at the the end.

a light weapon is considered light if it is on size smaller than your character.
elves, humans etc are medium chars, gnomes and halflings are small.
longswords and scimitars are considered medium sized, short swords are small, daggers are tiny.

Therefore, a human would get the -2 modifier ONLY if he wears a short sword (or another small weapon) off-hand, and a halfling would get the modifier only if he wears a dagger off-hand.

Weapon Finesse gives you the DEX-Modifier instead of STR-modifier for To-Hit-Rolls (not for damage-rolls!), and this counts only for rapiers, short swords, daggers etc.

So, scimitars should be treated as medium-size weapons. Any mod which overrides this rule shall be treated as powergamer boost
Karrde is offline   Reply With Quote