Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-18-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I'm thinking of making one, just to see how it compares. In my first hour in the game, I noticed that the pathfinding hasn't improved any from IWD 1.

I would use some of the excellent suggestions I got from the last thread, and make more of a powergamer party. All characters would be good. Here's what I'm thinking - with a few questions.

1) Paladin[1]/Monk[x] - looks intriguing. I know a human/aasimar would not have to deal with the XP penalty or any (or more than 1) level adjustment, but from what (limited amount) I've read, a svirfneblin has the ability to be essentially invulnerable to spells at high level. This character would go max Wis, good Cha, high dex, high Con, if I could manage it. I'm not to keen on nerfing Int, but is it worth it? Recommendations? I lean to a human or half-elf, because of the level penalty and because I hope evasion, etc. makes spell resistance less of a necessity.

2) Ranger[1]/Rogue - to try out the dual wield, and to take Bozos of Bones' expert advice. What about race? Tiefling? Is it advisable to start off the character as a ranger, or as a rogue? I know the rogue gets massive skill points to start, but what does the ranger get at the beginning (that it wouldn't get at a later date) that would make it advisable to start as a ranger? Dex would be max, with good Str, Con, and Int.

3) Pure Sorceror or Wizard - not sure which. Sorceror is a high-impact bomber, but the wizard is more versatile. Thoughts? This would be my only mage-spell caster, so I lean toward a wizard for versatility; however, the sorceror would level up just as quickly, and probably deal out better damage. Would it be worthwhile to take a level in any other class to start? Rogue or Fighter? What about race?

4) Fighter[4]/Battleguard of Tempus - the tank, plus a little extra. The Battleguard looks to have the most protection-oriented domain spells, which I like. It should add to this character's durability (as the sole tank) until the monk starts whupping. I'd max out Str, Con, and Wis if I could manage it.

Some other considerations - character #3 would probably be the talker, as it will have the best Int or Cha or both. How would #3 and #4 interact? With the protection spells of #4, it pulls me back in the direction of having a sorceror as #3 - protective wizard spells wouldn't be as necessary, but would be offset by the lesser availability of offensive clerical spells.
Old 11-18-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Well the first character looks OK, human is a great and often overlooked race, so I'd go along with that one. It is not particulary worth nerfing INT as a monk is a very handy character once he learns how to effectively hide and sneak. Drow would still be a preferred class for paladin or monk for me.
Tiefling is my favorite race in he game, next to Drow. I'd start a rogue for the skill points, rangers get nothing as a first level. Light armor all the way, and when you hit 20, just wait and put points into other stats untill you get a certain item. In my experience, rogues are the best party leaders for their massive skill points and all three convo skills cost 1.
Ah, the eternal debate, sorceror or wizard... I like wizards better for their versatility and faster spell gaining. Sorcerors can barage an area full of fireballs, but wizards have the feats, weapon proficiencies and variety.
If you want protection-oriented take Ilmater, he even has a sub-quest later. It's a durable character with great abilities. Don't underestimate the power of undead turning!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:08 AM   #3
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I would go with a wizard, for all the variety of spells. Personally, with a cleric, I think that their normal cleric protection spells are enough. Therefore, I would try Lathander for huge offensive fire spells, covering for your slightly less offense-oriented wizard.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Went with a Drow Paladin[2]/Monk and an elven wizard. The tiefling ranger[1]/rogue and (dwarven) fighter[4]/cleric of Tempus stayed put.

I may just try to do the entire game with this party instead of a full 6; $%&@ pathfinding! I'm a little bit worried because I didn't put many points into Con for characters other than the tank, but I hope it'll be ok.

Not that I'm far in, but I'm happy with these. The wizard can use a bow when he's not picking the most opportune time to drop a spell, the paladin/monk is using armour and ranged weapons until he hits a respectable monk level, the F/C is a good tank (especially with the +6 Str clerical ability), and the rogue does much of the killing in the early game.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:31 PM   #5
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Enemies give little or no experience if you are a much higher level than them. With a four person party, this WILL happen. If this occurs, bring in a level 1 bard to lower your average level (unless you count that as cheating, though it's the only way to level up after a while)

With lots of strength for your tank, it is SCREEMING for a greataxe. I actually think that with 18 STR and WIS, good developement would be adding one to WIS then putting the rest in STR. The (little spoiler)

+5 ring of WIS gives you a respectable amount of spells, and having a buffed 30 STR will give you (after 1.5x modifier for a two-hander) +15 to damage with your STR modifier alone. That is the key to having a huge hitter.

I would have preferred the wizard using daggers, as there are many powerful returning throwing daggers and one normal dagger that gives a bonus to deflection.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:23 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

WARNING A BUNCH OF SPOILERS STALKING HERE!!!
Sulo's Hook, the +1 AC dagger, is practically useless, Deflection is acquired better through different items, not weapons. I'd take Short Sword for the Brilliant one, or the Assassin. Longswords(scimitars) are not bad, and when combined with Improved Critical and, later, Exevutioner Eyes, every hit will be a critical.
P.S.
Marty, you have a thing for greataxes, right?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Yep

Item spoiler!

Massive greataxe of flame +5:

2d12 +5
flaming burst

Does it get any better? note the 2d12, not 1d12.

On the dagger thing, I was thinking of the HoF version. Looking at it now, it IS useless [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and if you want lotsa criticals, the luck items of the game can get you +7 luck, which affects natural rolls. the spell luck, the +7 from items, and executioners eyes and improved critical, and a keen weapon(not necessary) will result in massive critical doom. That's why I like greataxes: the x3 critical.