Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 11:38 PM   #11
Aerich
Lord Ao

Thieves cannot equip shields in IWD, and the shields come in small, medium and large (body). No bucklers in the game at all.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:42 AM   #12
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I have bucklers in my game. As a matter of fact, my thief>illusionist and bard are both using them now.

Gamebanshee has a pretty good item list, and there are no magical bucklers on it.

[ 10-15-2005, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: krunchyfrogg ]
Old 10-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #13
ister
Drow Warrior

" Would I be better off replacing that gnome fighter with a second paladin? I guess it comes down to what is better: draw upon holy might boosting awesome stats or grandmastery in greatswords...??"

This is a complete no-brainer. Grand Mastery is so powerful that you're foolish to forgo it. There is a case to be made for one paladin, but any power party HAS to have a grand master. And a Gnome is one of the best with teh saving throws and the helmet. I prefer axes, but large swords are great too.

"There's hardly any good shortbows in the game."

Messenger of Sseth is an excellent weapon. It's only drawback is the low enchantment, but the extra apr really makes a huge difference. I'd call it the best missile weapon bar none.

As to slings I think the selection is pretty poor. You can get decent weapons for two slingers, but after that you're in troble. The only really good thing about the slings is the strength bonus - they are best used by characters with exceptional strength, or the ability to get it (DoHM).

I think a buckler for a T->M is a pretty good choice. You're not going to do much damage with a bow anyway. In easy fights why bother, and in tough fights you ought to be casting spells. I'll take +1 AC (melee) and carry darts or a crappy sling over the bow.
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #14
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by ister:
"There's hardly any good shortbows in the game."

Messenger of Sseth is an excellent weapon. It's only drawback is the low enchantment, but the extra apr really makes a huge difference. I'd call it the best missile weapon bar none.
It also kinda stinks that it's a longbow (see the minimum strength or 12?).

Quote:

I think a buckler for a T->M is a pretty good choice. You're not going to do much damage with a bow anyway. In easy fights why bother, and in tough fights you ought to be casting spells. I'll take +1 AC (melee) and carry darts or a crappy sling over the bow.
I chose to use a buckler because I found a mage dagger +3. You can't take it off, or I would lose the bonus spells. I can't put anything else in that offhand, so may as well get a small bonus in there.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Aerich
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
I have bucklers in my game. As a matter of fact, my thief>illusionist and bard are both using them now.

Gamebanshee has a pretty good item list, and there are no magical bucklers on it.
How do you have bucklers? A mod?

Quote:
Originally posted by ister:
I have to disagree. It is definitely one of the most useful, and extremely powerful for the point in the game where it appears, and probably the best "fixed" (e.g. non-random) bow. However, I'd vote for the Hammer longbow (base of 4 APR) and the Repeating Heavy Crossbow (base 3 APR) before the Messenger of Sseth. The other great ability it has is the low init modifier (weapon speed), which makes it better for magic disruption than conventional bows and the +2 throwing axe.

See my earlier point to krunchyfrogg about the party's weakness being lack of gonzo missile weapons. Only warriors can use the longbows and crossbows (and axe) that are the foundation of a well-balanced and devastating long range party.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:27 AM   #16
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Aerich, no mods. The bucklers are sold right from the prologue for me.

I have TotL installed, that's about it.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

Yeah, I just remembered the bucklers from Pomab's. No magical bucklers anywhere that I'm aware of. I haven't used anything other than a fighter/thief for so long that I forget what's available to a single-classed thief. You may find that the best "armor" for a thief or mage in the early game is magical bracers + a ring. I don't think a shield stacks with them, although armor certainly does.

I'd rather use a bow. If you use the extra spell slots from a mage dagger on spells that you only memorize one of, then cast those spells, you won't lose the extra slot. Otherwise, say if you memorize 5 Chromatic Orbs and only use a couple before switching out the mage dagger, you will lose the last one.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
Magness
Quintesson

I gotta admit that I prefer using a multiclass thief in IWD1. I've tried both fighter/thieves and mage/thieves. if I was pushed to pick one, I'd pick the mage/thief, cuz it really adds to the party's arcane firepower. But a fighter/thief can be a rather potent combo as well.
Magness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:21 AM   #19
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

IMHO, if I'm going to multiclass a thief, I'm going with a FMT. I have enough Fighters, the Thief levels are worthless after a certain point, and I may as well add a backup mage into the party.