Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-19-2001, 11:13 AM   #1
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

I saw the first commercial plane since last week in the skies over Great Falls, a Boeing 727 Fed Ex. It wasn't until I heard the sound of a jet coming in for a landing that I realized what a large part of my daily existence was missing. I guess we become easily habituated to our surroundings, and being so self-involved in our own lives only means we do not have to struggle to provide the basic food, shelter, and clothing we need, as more than half of the world must do. If we did, "spare time" would not be such a consuming passion here.
Some wish to blame us for our prosperity, as if to have so much meant that others must have too little. We have never replaced prosperity with poverty anyplace in the entire world, unlike anyone else who had a better idea for how other people should live. We have taken many attacks before this one, and done things to remedy the situation that have fallen short because of the resistance of those who think 'that only if they are nicer, the bad people will stop killing innocents and discuss their issues.' I believe we have seen the ultimate consequences of letting that minority dictate the way we protect our own.
This is a war that was openly declared, for me, in Lebanon, 1983. They bombed our soldiers, people I had served with and knew, my brothers. We investigated the heck out of the situation, did nothing to make the sacrifice of over 200 mother's sons worthwhile.
Fair Enough

We served our time in uniform, understood it's risks. You want a safe job, be an accountant for a tax firm. I had my share of unofficial 'incidents' over the years, all for the uniform I wore, and the way of life I represented. Ran for our lives through the streets of Frankfurt, pursued by the fringes of the soviet supported 'nonviolent' peace/no nukes demonstrators, children of the generation freed by our fathers from the darkest tyranny known to the modern world. Slight thanks for that, and the cost of rebuilding most of your continent, debt unpaid.
Fair Enough

America has contributed over 80% of the relief gathered for victims of disaster, be it flood, fire, famine, or war, in the ENTIRE world, since World War 2, regardless of country of origin, political or religious persuasion.
Our beleagured farmers still grow over half of the food eaten in the world, including those who chant 'death to america'
I have stopped being fair.

Those who hate us simply because our way of life encourages an individual to be and think for themselves, show their fear of thought independent of their control. They are, and always have been, our enemy, ever since the first ones wore red coats and followed orders from across the ocean over 200 years ago.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

These criminals have declared "Holy War and Death to America" after every sneak attack they carried out on innocents who had nothing to do with foreign policy. I have seen them dancing in their streets, burning our flag, using men, women and children as cover and currency. They say their holy war means that any believer who dies trying to kill or hurt others is going to go straight to their version of heaven, so it means the life they have here and now is best used up in a hurry.
I want to help.

Those here who are now starting to speak against going into Afganistan, because there would be innocent people hurt there, hurt me the most. They are the ones who declined to retaliate when my brothers and countrymen were killed, who said we can't just go in and kill those who killed us. It would cause too many problems, take too many innocent lives. The help of the liberal media gave you a much greater presence on the national stage than I believed you actually had.
I am glad the very small percentage of people who think like that has finally been revealed to the rest of the country, so we can ignore them now.
I will defend to the death their right to continue to speak, though.

The terrorists have stated many times the wish to 'end the US'. It is time we finally took the steps necessary to end them. This was not just an attack on our country, it was an attack on our way of living, and also on those around the world who live relatively free lives under a form of government like the one our founders envisioned so long ago. We would of course welcome those who wish to take those steps with us, even though we can do it ourselves.
I would walk those steps myself.

not really what I had envisioned when I started writing this. I have been in, or associated with, the military for over half of my life now, and 20 years of frustration with the unanswered pinpricks of terror has been brought to a head.
Those who say the US did this or that to bring on this attack, and all the others previous, are just wrong and do not get it. I have to admit, I have a hard time understanding why they think the way they do, but I'm not going to fly a plane into their house because of it.
I really wanted to start this to have others write what they have seen that shows us getting back to the business of being the greatest nation and people on the planet. Hope I did not hijack my own thread
What ordinary things have you seen start again that makes you think?

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:45 PM   #2
skywalker
Banned User

The title of this thread reminded me of seeing the first robin of the Spring season!

Mark
Old 09-19-2001, 03:27 PM   #3
G'kar

As I posted in an earlier thread "Shop on America", People are shopping, the Mall where I work was very busy all last weekend, and this week too! Although the fire-alarm, that was once usually ignored because we had so many false alarms, now sends folks out to the parking lots in droves. It doesnt help that it emits a sound like an air-raid siren.

Old 09-19-2001, 03:48 PM   #4
Dramnek_Ulk

The victims of Americas Sanctions on iraq, are innocent women and children, while saddam still remains in power. America supplies weapons to Isreal with which they kill innocent women and children. CIA supported the contras and propped up the shah of irans regime.

although these attacks were evil,All these things and more have brought them, or am i

"just wrong and do not get it"?

------------------
Welcome to see my ability
I promised to follow the light
Remember the way to infinity
Hear my voice and cry

[This message has been edited by Dramnek_Ulk (edited 09-19-2001).]

Old 09-19-2001, 03:53 PM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

If Afghanistan is attacked, the innocent Afghans will suffer. Sazerac posted a very, very good thread on this.
Here in Europe, one probably does not notice as much of what has happened as in America. So life is continuing "normally", although there are some changes in daily routine.
Oh yes, and BTW I'd like it very much if people stopped saying things like "and anyone who thinks that is wrong". We are all different, we all have different opinions. None of them are wrong, just different viewpoints of the same event. So I'd really like to see people stop posting such things. Or is that too much to ask?

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-19-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Kaz (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 05:44 PM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:

Oh yes, and BTW I'd like it very much if people stopped saying things like "and anyone who thinks that is wrong". We are all different, we all have different opinions. None of them are wrong, just different viewpoints of the same event. So I'd really like to see people stop posting such things. Or is that too much to ask?

Hear hear Kaz, I think it's this intolerance that's led to a lot of the trouble on the forum lately.

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-19-2001, 06:15 PM   #7
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Not only did I see my first jet-liner in days, but I live
in a small town in Florida. It's unusual to see planes
directly overhead (other than military jets), so when
I heard the screeching engines, I immediately looked to
the sky. Instant fear is something that never happened
to me before, but that one instant scared the crap out of
me. Not only did the terrorists strike terror in the
residents of NY, but they struck terror in each and everyone
of us, in one way or another.
Old 09-19-2001, 07:32 PM   #8
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Thank you for letting us know how you felt, MJ. Perhaps letting others around the world know how we feel here will help get the point across.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-19-2001, 08:23 PM   #9
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

The only thing I've seen in the air around Tuscaloosa is Military trainers out of Montgomery and Columbus.
Mitro Jellywadder, Welcome I grew up in Crestview, and spent many a summer in Destin chasing Alabama girls. Until one of them slowed down and let me catch her.
There is nothing like the sight of the 33rd TAC Fighter wing.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-19-2001, 08:44 PM   #10
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

LoL..I do believe they're still running around here nowadays,
too. I moved here five years ago, and it'll take an act of
Congress to move me. Love the beaches and all that comes along
with 'em.