Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

Hi all,
I am at a loss as to which games to get next and am wondering if you can help me by recommending a few rpgs? I loved Morrowind 3 the elder scrolls and Might and Magic 6,7 and 8. I've played Divine divinity, Neverwinter Nights, Gothic 2, Diablo, Wizards and Warriors and Wizardry 8 and prob some others that i've forgotten. Constant fighting and or strategy is not my scene, I love gameplay, loads of exploration and varied quests and treasure. At the moment I'm playing Star Wars KOTOR which is great. I've been looking at Sacred, Dark Ages of Camelot, Final Fantasy 9 but don't know what they are like. I am a PC user - any ideas gratefully received! Thank you. Jelly x [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2005, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: Jelly Sculptress ]
Old 01-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Have you tried Baldur's Gate? You may also want to try and get your hands on Final Fantasy 7 or 8; both are exceptional games. Unfortunately they are quite old now. Deus Ex might also be a possibility. It's an FPS, but the game can be played in whatever style you want. Plenty of maps to explore and great gameplay.

[ 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Blunderbuss ]
Old 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #3
Arvon
Unicorn

If you can find it, try Planetscape Torment.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-06-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

First off it's Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind [img]tongue.gif[/img]
So yeah, Deus Ex I simply must suggest to anyone asking for RPGs. I think Arcanum might be right up your alley. Has combat, plenty of non-fight gaming and a good deal of thinking and variation. Several endings, more classes than you can beat senseless and a good story. Playable in Real Time like Diablo or Turn-Based. I prefer Turn-Based.
Oh, how did you like Divine Divinity? I just got it from a friend, and haven't really tried playing yet.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:44 PM   #5
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

oooh handbags at 20 paces lol - you are quite right of course, I do beg your pardon. [img]smile.gif[/img] Sorry! Bloomin good game though, whatever it's called. I hope there'll b a sequel.

I do have Deus Ex I started the training bit and it looked too much like half life - which i enjoyed, but not sure i'd play it again though i'm not averse to FPS -I love No-one lives forever, Die Hard (bit short) and most of the tomb raiders (ok not fps but she does shoot a lot). Divine Divinity is pretty good, much more varied gameplay than the Diablos..... though there's never enough room in those dang backpacks, is there? Baldur's Gate i have but never quite got the hang of it, maybe i should give it another look...

I tell you what other games I absolutely loved and that's Discworld and Monkey Island etc. But they don't make games like that any more. sigh.

Ooh ooh you made 3000! cool! [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-06-2005, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Jelly Sculptress ]
Old 01-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Heya, thanks for he good news! I completely forgot I was close!
And yes, they still make games like that. Broken Sword 3 is one I am playing right now, and it is awesome! Then there's Syberia 1&2 too!
Oooh... how I do love that Dracolich avatar [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Jelly Sculptress
The Magister

It is rather awesome isn't it? All i have are dice

Did Broken Sword 1 and 2 so am happy to hear there's a third! 2nd had far too much talking in it. Must give that a go. thanks! Are all the final fantasy games only playable online? Cos am on a tight budget here.
Anyone have any more rpg suggestions? Many thanks.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

Yup, TES 4 : Oblivion is on the way. Apparantley coming in 2006. Personaly I hope they delay it to 2007 and make the first relatively bug-free TES game. Im getting a mite sick of VoidSpace.

Other games to look for are the fallout series - these are the games where BioWare got good. The SPECIAL engine is showing its age now, but the games are still worth a look.

The Baldur's Gate series is excellent. The related Icewind Dale series is much more combat orientated, so it might not be to your taste. Planescape Torment is, quite frankly, one of the best RPGs ever written. Bit dark for some though.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Jelly Sculptress:
Baldur's Gate i have but never quite got the hang of it, maybe i should give it another look...
Most definitely. I would recommend this game to anyone who loves fantasy RPGs. If by Baldur's Gate you mean Baldur's Gate II then you should, without doubt play it. The first BG is also very good, and should play it before BGII.

I can understand what you are saying about the 'never quite got the hang of it'. I originally got the game from recommendation. I never played BGI and hadn’t really heard anything about the second one. I have always been a big fan of RPGs and was looking for a good one to play. I asked for any recommendations and I was given Baldur's Gate II, so, I thought I would give it a try and low and behold I loved it.

When I first started playing it, I was alittle put off by how it starts out, but once you get past the introduction, it’s a purely enjoyable game. So much scope, choices and challenges. And the replay ability is honestly endless.

So, for my recommendations, it has to be: Baldur's Gate II

--Kestrel--
Old 01-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

If you have money to spare: Xbox's Fable is a real hit! A big world to explore, a reputation that follwos/preceeds you, good/bad side actions, nice GFX and gameplay.