Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #11
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Modern British houses are mostly built in a tacky pastiche of late Victorian architectural styles. This is because the British are Philistines.
IKEA is the most popular manufacturer of furniture in Britain (so not much different from Sweden). Other than that, Mahogany furniture seems to be more common in Britain than in other countries I've been to. Generally furniture made in Britain tends to imitate C18th - 19th designs.
One difference I have noticed between British houses and those in other European countries is that British houses tend to be a lot more cluttered.
The floors tend to be flat, and made of something solid, often wood. The walls are generally at a 90' angle to the floor, and the ceilings are usually some distance above the floors. It is uncommon for walls to be made out of big piles of cats.
I hope this has been of some use to you.
Spelca - this is nonsense, please pay no attention to it.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #12
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
quote:
Modern British houses are mostly built in a tacky pastiche of late Victorian architectural styles. This is because the British are Philistines.
IKEA is the most popular manufacturer of furniture in Britain (so not much different from Sweden). Other than that, Mahogany furniture seems to be more common in Britain than in other countries I've been to. Generally furniture made in Britain tends to imitate C18th - 19th designs.
One difference I have noticed between British houses and those in other European countries is that British houses tend to be a lot more cluttered.
The floors tend to be flat, and made of something solid, often wood. The walls are generally at a 90' angle to the floor, and the ceilings are usually some distance above the floors. It is uncommon for walls to be made out of big piles of cats.
I hope this has been of some use to you.
Spelca - this is nonsense, please pay no attention to it. [/QUOTE]This guy is a cretin. Please pay no attention to him.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:36 AM   #13
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Some British houses imitate Victorian design, many more are simply 'functional' and do not seek to imitate anything. The TV and electronic equipment is definitely the focus of the living room in younger households and we never have lights in the windows except for christmas [img]smile.gif[/img] We have lots of ornaments on the mantelpiece and this seems to be fairly common, and our furniture is mostly made of mahogony and passed down through the family
Old 10-15-2004, 07:43 AM   #14
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Well I must say Dirty Meg, I don't know anyone with a house like you described. Ok the clutter etc. could be there, but you can't call it stereotypical.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:50 AM   #15
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
This guy is a cretin. Please pay no attention to him.
Oh dear Meg - calling a member a cretin is clearly against the ToS. If you are trying to be funny please add a smiley to the drivel that you post. Just to give us a head start.

Unfortunately Spelca's boyfriend is writig a paper and he may be misled by the nonsense you are posting.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-15-2004, 07:51 AM   #16
Donut
Jack Burton

Meaning of CRETIN
Pronunciation: 'kreetn

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] a person of subnormal intelligence
Old 10-15-2004, 07:53 AM   #17
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Meaning of CRETIN

WordNet Dictionary

Your point being?
Old 10-15-2004, 08:00 AM   #18
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
quote:
Meaning of CRETIN

WordNet Dictionary

Your point being? [/QUOTE]The fact that I have to explain it for you makes my point.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #19
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

You misunderstand. I was implying you are 'a person of subnormal intelligence'.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:12 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Yowtch

Play nice dearies - I am sure Spelca doesn't want her thread derailed like this. Take a deep breath the both of you, then scream out at the top of your lungs "IKEAAAAAAAAAA".

Now - didn't that feel better [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Did I tell anyone that Shane Warne is now the world's leading wicket taker - way to go fatboy .